A new direction with a Rod and Custom Shop

dewwood

Mike,
Sounds like a plan. Is it wood post or steel frame? One suggestion, which is worth what you paid for it, you might want to consider 14' height. Most campers take that much to get them inside and who knows down the road you may want to use it for RV work or storage. Good luck with the building, it should be easy compared to the metal fabricating you do.

porthole

Retired
Mike,
Sounds like a plan. Is it wood post or steel frame? One suggestion, which is worth what you paid for it, you might want to consider 14' height. Most campers take that much to get them inside and who knows down the road you may want to use it for RV work or storage. Good luck with the building, it should be easy compared to the metal fabricating you do.

My toy hauler would need a 14' door.

Yeah Mike - maybe a 16' high - that way we all have a place to stop and do some inside maintenance along our travels.

irvin56

A quick update. Been so busy since I retired again that I can't seem to get anything done. I don't know how anybody ever finds time to have a job.

This will be like moving from the out house to the penthouse. Yeeeee Haaaaaa... Time to pack Ellie May, Jethro and Granny in the truck...... Beverly Hills here I come.

:)confused:hope thinks go smooth for you on this, maybe time to go back to work to relax:angel:)
Thanks for the chuckle, I can just picture them with you and piloting the big rig:D

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
If I can build a 13' High 40' long Freightliner haul and tow truck in an 8 high 20 x 22 shop with a 7' high door squeezing a Cyclone Toy hauler in for maintenance in a 30 x 50 x 12 high building with a 10 high door should be easy.;)

I'm going to stick to 12 high. Quite frankly I have enough stuff to fill a 40 x 60 x 16 but that completely blows the budget. My budget for the completed building is $30k putting me at $0.20 per square foot which is a tough order to fill.

Projects so big I need a taller shop I really need to get away from with my Arthritis as it is. 10' high doors is still tall enough to restore something like an antique Petebilt of the Ford COE I bought. I could sqeeze a custom built 12' high door in a gable end if I choose to in the future.

It's a clear span steel building. Red iron baby. Bolt her together like the erector sets we had as kids... Just a really big erector set.

Here are the specs. I'm only about 80 miles from the coast and pretty much need a Hurricane speced building. My personnel door and windows have to be framed, that self framing stuff in the sheet metal only won't meet high windload specs so that adds to the cost too. I can find basic 30x50x12 1/12 pitch steel buildings all day long for $8-10k but by the time you finish specing one for your needs, wants, practical layout and building codes you can easily double, triple or quadruple the cost.

NOTE: for those of you considering a steel building kit or post frame / pole barn kit, you better check the specs of the building and your local building codes, the cheap kits you see as advertised specials may not work in your area. If you buy one without checking with your local building inspector you may end up with several thousand $$$ worth of scrap metal sitting in the back yard you can't use.
  • Buck Steel metal building
  • 30' x 50' x 12'
  • 3/12 symetrical gable roof - I want a bit of a residential look, not an industrial look. Pine straw and leaves are also a problem for me with over 50 trees on 1.44 acres.
  • No overhangs - overhangs really drive up the price of a building by Thousands $$$
  • Enclosed shell
  • NCBC09 building code for Sampson county NC
  • Wind load - 120 mph
  • Exposure - B
  • Live load - 20
  • Reducable - yes
  • Ground snow - 13
  • Roof snow - 9
  • Seismic - 0.410
  • Collateral load - 0.5
  • Straight columns
  • Roof - 26 gauge PBR panels - Galvalume
  • Walls - 26 gauge PBR panels - Rustic Red
  • Trim - Polar white
  • Doors - White
  • 2 - 10'x10' windload certified roll up doors with chain hoists
  • 1 - 3070-M insulated personnel door with lever lock set
  • 5 - 3030 horizontal slide aluminum windows
  • Closure strip package
  • Full framed opening cover trim
  • Deluxe formed base trim
  • Portal frame bracing on front sidewall. Can't use cable on this wall.
  • Engineered stamped drawings for building AND foundation.
  • Radiant barrier for the roof only.
  • All windows and doors factory located and framed, not field located and/or self framing.
  • $17k Shipping included.

Here's a basic look at how my shop will be built. The colors and roofing ain't an exact match but the dimensions, door and window placement are.

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

And an eye level view of my 50' walk to work.
003.jpg

pmmjarrett

:)confused:hope thinks go smooth for you on this, maybe time to go back to work to relax:angel:)
Thanks for the chuckle, I can just picture them with you and piloting the big rig:D

Thanks Irvin.

As long as I keep the rig properly loaded I should be OK. Bet granny would be ****ed if I pull a wheely and dump her out of her rocking chair.
overloadcopy.jpg

porthole

Retired
It's a clear span steel building. Red iron baby. Bolt her together like the erector sets we had as kids... Just a really big erector set.

Here are the specs. I'm only about 80 miles from the coast and pretty much need a Hurricane speced building.

• $17k Shipping included.
The colors and roofing ain't an exact match but the dimensions, door and window placement are.

001.jpg

Hey the colors look great!

This is a 50 x 100 my buddy finished last year. Giant erector set. We let the company put it up. We are 2 miles from the beach, this is a 130 MPH rated building (with the doors closed and locked)

120K for 3 tractor trailers full of steel and bolting it together, including windows and insulation.

We spec'd a 2000 pound capacity "I" beam down the entire length on the back third. Builder screwd up and put it on the center line. Not too big a deal but it means we have to stick the nose of the boats outside to pull motors. And I think we need to get an electric winch, that chain is a drag hoisting 20'

Radiant floor heat.
The front 20' is office, the floor above is rated at 6000 pounds, same as the shop floor.
The skylights pictured mean NO lights needed during the day!

The last bay (all 14' doors) has a 50 amp plug for the Cyclone - but unfortunately the Cyclone can't stay there :(

Good luck and keep us up with the build.

.Shop_00.jpg

Shop_01.jpg

Shop_02.jpg

Shop_03.jpg

irvin56

As long as I keep the rig properly loaded I should be OK. Bet granny would be ****ed if I pull a wheely and dump her out of her rocking chair.
overloadcopy.jpg

you know we are aging if we remember this family. It was a favorite show that I think most everyone watched.

looks like your build will be a nice add on to your property and will have a lot of room to work in it.
Just don't burn your self out with your health problems on top of it all.

Take care
Irvin

pmmjarrett

That's a decent price for 5000 square feet with those specs and erected. Love the Flying Bridge, nice touch for a boat shop.

The Beverly Hillbillys was a great show.

Docs have me fairly stable now. I only work at my own pace and if I work too slow for somebody, they can bugger off to put it nicely.

porthole

Retired
That's a decent price for 5000 square feet with those specs and erected. Love the Flying Bridge, nice touch for a boat shop.

That price was structure only - on our foundation-floor.
Heat, AC, electric etc was all on top of that. All told this is a million.2 project. But that also includes $220k worth of steel for 3 - 40' high boat racks.

The "Flying bridge" was supposed to be a hang out get away room.
Builder screwed that up too - put the steps in the middle of the room.

pmmjarrett

1.2 mil OUCH!!! That ain't in my budget anytime in the next 50 years. He's got more in concrete than I do in my whole budget.

porthole

Retired
We are near the beach and in New Jersey - there is over 300K just in all the engineering, EPA, DEP wetlands, city, bird people (pipijng clovers) turtle people approvals - it goes on and on.
The city is crooked (last 2 mayors are in jail), the engineering firm was the biggest joke I've ever worked with and Verizon will not replace the phone lines so we can get service.

After all the state stuff the 2.7 acres has 1/2 acre of buildable room. Concrete - 50 x 100 for the building (6000 psi) and 50 x 80 in front of the doors.

Biggest scam was the city made us put down those decorative small white pebbles in the rear yard, 6" inches worth! Ever drive in that crap? You need 4wd drive just to drive through it - and this is where we have a 40' height marine fork lift to operate.

Best bargain is we found someone to take 100 tandem loads of dirty fill for free and they did all the loading.

Oh and we have city mandated landscaping worth 115K which includes mandatory shrubs that are not indigenous to the area and will not last a year in the salty sandy soil we have!

But heck - we got a nice building, very quiet inside, got a 55" LCD at half off from Costco and have movie night every Friday.
Pacific, Generation Kill Band of Brothers etc.

For 15 years we worked out of a cramped 8x24 trailer with no bathroom and rented storage or work areas from several different people.

I only work part time, have my own 10x15 office and we got running water and bathrooms whoo hoo.

Good luck on the project and keep us updated like the the other.
I can't do it here, but when I move I would like to do something similar to what you got going (of course with 14' doors though)

And let me tell you, radiant floor heat kicks butt in a workshop!

pmmjarrett

Mike, how about one of these to restore. Had a 53 but never finished it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Qfckw5BG0&NR=1

No no no no no thank you. I'm not doing any 4 year $100k nut and bolt restorations on something that is next to impossible to get parts for. Custom work only.

A little update.

Been busy the last few days. The new shop has gone to engineering to get plans drawn up and stamped. Shoud have the building and foundation plans in hand in about a week so I can get my building permit and schedule the concrete work.

Rented a small backhoe and relocated the water line and electric for the well so it isn't under the new foundation. Also dropped in new shop wiring as I'm relocating and replacing the ancient wiring that went to the old shop.

Hired my SIL boyfriend for the day and we got the old shop cleaned out and moved most of it into the POD. Still have some stuff to sort out and need to pull the breaker panel, lights, sterio and heaters out and then it's time to tear the old shop down. The backhoe came in very handy for moving some really heavy items out of the shop.

I'll get some pics tomorrow now that I found my camera battery charger again.

Finished the day off with a trip to Harbor Freight. I have a huge storage problem for my tools. No ladies, I don't have too many tools, you can never have too many tools. I hope I just cured for now. They had the 44" 13 drawer chests on sale so I picked up 4 of them to stuff under the new workbench and picked up a 4 drawer service cart too as well as a few other small organizational items.

image_2244.jpg

image_3326.jpg

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Never too many tools. Thata boy...tools and tool boxes...you can never have enough. If the DW can have 500 pairs of shoes...then I can have 500 tool boxes. SURE I can. They did a fine job on the resto of the Sterling. Looks like it rides nice even with the Page&Page suspension.

pmmjarrett

He did a beautiful job restoring the old Sterling and keeping it as original as possible. That just isn't my cup of tea.

Tools make money, or at least help you save it from having to hire someone to fix every little problem around the house.

Some people might think I have a problem when this wasn't enough to store my tools. I agree, I do........ I have a problem.... Not enough tool boxes.;) The old boxes have so much weight in them that many of the drawer slides are failing. They have already been reinforced on the bottom with 3/4" plywood because the bottom of the boxes collapsed over the casters about 6 years ago.

I'm passing these boxes down to Mama to keep her lawn and garden goodies in at the opposite end of the shop as well as put some of the home repair specific stuff in to get it out of the mechanics tool boxes. I'm getting away from working out of 6' tall boxes.
IMG00165-20100508-2021.jpg

porthole

Retired
I'm getting away from working out of 6' tall boxes.

Yeah that sure gets to be a drag. But up until the mid eighties that's what we were stuck with.

When Mac came out with the first wide top and bottom with all full extension roller slides - I was on that right away. That was some time in the early eighties and I still have it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My last 2 were long and deep (Matco). Loved them..had lots of storage and were just the right height to use as a work bench. There were 3 of us in the shop that bought them at the same time. Then we bought Snap-on stickers and put on them...just to screw with the Matco dude. Don't think he was very happy with us.

pmmjarrett

Old school, need more space, just add a middle box so you can't see the 500 sockets in the top of the top box any more LOL.

I've long considered the long deep 72" boxes but I'm too cheap to spend the money on those big boxes. I'd rather have multiple boxes and have more small drawers than 1 box with big drawers. The price on those brand name boxes is way beyond what I'm willing to spend. I'd rather spend $1000 on a box and $9000 on tools than $10k on a box and no tools.

These boxes are only 18" deep and give me 11,500 cu in storage each. That's 46,000 cu in combined with 56 drawers. The 72 x 30 boxes have about the same cu in of storage but only 15 - 18 drawers on average for about $1000 more than what I spent on these 4 boxes vs the cheapest 72 x 30 boxes I've found made by Montezuma.

This just gave me an Idea. Since I'm incorperating them into a work bench I could make a workbench on wheels that is 16' long 2' wide to keep along the back wall and folds in the middle that when folded would give me an 8' x 4' work bench with boxes on both sides I could move to the middle of the shop between the bay doors if needed to work on something big on the bench. Hmmmmm american standard and body tools on one side and metric and auto specialty tools on the other.

pmmjarrett

Making a little progress today after spending half the day finishing up with and turning in the backhoe. Still boxing up the little stuff that you collect over the years and knocked one workbench and set of shelves out of the shop.

Pics as promised. Farewell old friend, your job is through.
p4060312.jpg

p4060315.jpg

P4060337.jpg

P4060342.jpg

Well water and electric lines moved over about 20'
P4060332.jpg

Starting to gut the interior.
P4060330.jpg

pmmjarrett

Engineering drawings are in, waiting on the foundation drawings.

Scored a decent 23' gooseneck equipment trailer on Craigslist for $800 and a small Thomas 135 skid loader on Evilbay. Picked up a few Wild Cat attachments for it from Mid State on the way home with the skid loader.

The shed is pretty much cleaned out now. Tore down the lean to and ripped most of the metal siding off it yesterday. Had to play with the stump grapple too..... Prolly..... no definatly biting off more than this skid loader can chew taking out this big stump for the old maple tree but she'll Git R Dun slowly but surely.

p4130346.jpg

P4130349.jpg

P4130350.jpg

P4130344.jpg

P4130353.jpg

P4130360.jpg