A new problem (I think)

Rodbuster

Just got my 2014 Landmark back after a "3 month" stay at a dealership for minor warranty work. I'm not going to get into that now except for saying that it was a frustrating experience.

The reason for this post is, I'm having a problem with my leveling system.
When I got the unit home from the dealership (about 80 miles away) I just parked it in the yard til I got a chance to wash it good and put it away in the garage....that was 2 days ago. Today I cleaned it up and then tried to hook up to the truck to put it away. The outside switch to operate the landing gear didn't work. I hooked up the cable to the truck and there was enough power to raise and lower the landing gear.

Put the RV in the garage and unhooked the truck. Kept on hearing a beep. It was coming from the display or control box for the leveling system. I thought it would go away when I connected to shore power. It didn't. The read-out or display was lit but blank. Tried pushing a few buttons and nothing worked. I read the manual and it said that if you had an error code (I didn't have "any" code) to push the "enter" button. So, I pushed the enter button and I was able to make the buttons work. I can now hit the on/off button to shut the unit off and stop the beeping but when I turn it back on, there is no display at all....such as, manual mode---auto retract---front to rear---side to side---battery---etc. etc.
I'm hooked up to shore power so I went to check it about an hour later....same thing, no display.

Appreciate any help.
Dick

jbeletti

Dick,

Consider unplugging the control panel from the brain unit, wait, the reconnect it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

danemayer

Dick,

I'm wondering is "wash it good" led to getting something in the levelup electrical system wet. Maybe air out the switch and front compartment if that's where the hydraulics pump is located.

I also agree with Jim's prescription to unplug the brain. But before doing so, you might try a simpler version: 1) disconnect the truck, 2) disconnect shore power, 3) shut off the battery cutoff 4) wait 30 seconds.

Rodbuster

About an hour ago I posted a problem and asked for help, had dinner and came back to see if anybody had answered.

A couple of veterans came back and suggested basically the same solution. I went out to the RV to give their idea a try. I sit here typing this with a leveling system that works fine.

Thank you Jim and thank you Dan.
Dick

Rodbuster

On a separate note, does anybody have an idea on what caused this problem?

One more question, if the RV was sitting in a parking lot for 3 months with nothing on, what made the battery drain down?

I'm sorry, one more question. When I drove the unit home from the dealership (about 80 miles or 90 minutes) shouldn't the truck have charged up the battery to full?

Thank you
Dick

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
80 yo 90 minutes is not nearly enough to charge up the battery. It takes several hours to charge it up with the truck. Also, if the battery cutoff wS left on at any time while it was at the dealership, the parasitic draws (Co detector for instance) would run the battery down. Discharging completely is not good for the battery either. It may be damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gizzy

About an hour ago I posted a problem and asked for help, had dinner and came back to see if anybody had answered.

A couple of veterans came back and suggested basically the same solution. I went out to the RV to give their idea a try. I sit here typing this with a leveling system that works fine.

Thank you Jim and thank you Dan.
Dick

I can understand going thru the "restart" procedure.

I basically have to do that every time we set up. I have learned that if I connect to shore power prior to pressing the "Auto" button will always end up with an ERROR. It will happen every time.

To avoid this I have to (1) Not plug into shore power, (2) Turn the battery disconnect switch off for about 10 seconds (until the level up display goes out) (3) Turn disconnect switch back on and when the Level up display is lit again I hit the Auto level button and it takes off and does what it is suppose to do.

I asked about this with the designers of the system during the Lippert seminar at the 2011 Goshen rally and was told that hooking to shore power "had nothing to do with the system". I wanted to believe them, however further use of the system proved me correct.

I'm not trying to discredit the Lippert folks, I just know what I have to do to make the system work right. I have been using "my" procedures for over 3 yrs now, and it works, that's all I know. I could not imagine NOT having the level up installed. Greatest thing since peanut butter.

danemayer

I basically have to do that every time we set up. I have learned that if I connect to shore power prior to pressing the "Auto" button will always end up with an ERROR. It will happen every time.

To avoid this I have to (1) Not plug into shore power, (2) Turn the battery disconnect switch off for about 10 seconds (until the level up display goes out) (3) Turn disconnect switch back on and when the Level up display is lit again I hit the Auto level button and it takes off and does what it is suppose to do.
Hi Jerry & Lily,

On the early 2011 leveling systems, the auto-level system is programmed to disallow 2 or more consecutive presses of the AUTO button in the same power cycle. I think this was their idea to prevent accidental triggering of the auto leveling after the rig was already level. In the 2nd generation of the "brain" they changed this programming because they realized it also disallows pressing AUTO when you get to the 2nd campground, and the 3rd and so on. On arrival, before plugging into shore power, I also have to reset the "brain" by cutting battery power for a few seconds.

Lippert discussed the improvement in the 2nd generation at one of the rallies.

pegmikef

I must have a new generation system because my routine is 1) disconnect trailer power from TV 2) hook up shore power 3) use toggle switch to raise TV for unhooking 4) turn leveling system on and press Auto (after truck is moved). No problems what so ever. My problem seems to be with the autoretract in as much as the rear driver's side stabilizer doesn't always want to play and I have to go to manual mode to raise it. Seems to occur more in cold < 30 degrees weather.