About to buy a 2013 BH 3010RE!

netw8

Hi my name is Rich and new to the forum...very impressed with the community you all have created and i'm looking for a little help with my decision to buy a great used BH.

I am looking at buying an early model 2013 Bighorn 3010RE (production date 0f 4/2012). There appears to be some differences between the 2013 model year and the 2014 and 2015 models. The differences I’ve noticed are a 14,000 GVWR for the 2013 and 2014 that increases to 15,500 GVWR in 2015. Also, the hitch weight rating changes from 2115# in 2013 to 2340# in 2015.

My question is…did they use 10” frame construction in 2013/14 then switch to 12” beams in 2015 and therefore the increase in the GVWR and hitch weight? If so, what is the impact on the tow ability and longevity of the unit? Are there other differences I should take into consideration in deciding if I should buy this unit?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

danemayer

Hi netw8,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sure you'll hear from some 3010RE owners before too long.

Oregon_Camper

Perhaps you can get the VIN number from the seller and then you can call Heartland for the exact details you need...???

pegmikef

Hi my name is Rich and new to the forum...very impressed with the community you all have created and i'm looking for a little help with my decision to buy a great used BH.

I am looking at buying an early model 2013 Bighorn 3010RE (production date 0f 4/2012). There appears to be some differences between the 2013 model year and the 2014 and 2015 models. The differences I’ve noticed are a 14,000 GVWR for the 2013 and 2014 that increases to 15,500 GVWR in 2015. Also, the hitch weight rating changes from 2115# in 2013 to 2340# in 2015.

My question is…did they use 10” frame construction in 2013/14 then switch to 12” beams in 2015 and therefore the increase in the GVWR and hitch weight? If so, what is the impact on the tow ability and longevity of the unit? Are there other differences I should take into consideration in deciding if I should buy this unit?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

I have an early 2014 (made June 2013) and it has the 14K GVWR, but the hitch weight is really a variable of what options you have and what cargo you carry. The inclusion of the a generator and/or washer and dryer increase the hitch weight quite a bit. I have neither and my tongue weight was around 3k loaded when I had it weighed at Goshen a couple of years ago. I am using a Reese Elite 18K hitch and have had no problems, but I ordered the upgraded axles and Goodyear G614 tires when I bought so I have a little greater latitude. My GVWR was actually 550 pounds over, but the upgraded axles and tires easily compensate for that.

GregP

Hello. We have a 2014 3010RE and it came equipped with 6000 lb axles. I think (but am not sure) that newer 3010RE's are now equipped with 7000 lb axles, which might explain the weight rating difference. Our unit has a pin weight of 3100 lb when we are on the road. We travel light most of the time (minimal on-board water and empty waste tanks) and have no washer dryer or generator, both of which would add some weight to the front end of the trailer and increase pin weight. Our rig weighs out at just over 13000 lb when we are on the road. Have been from Alaska to Newfoundland-Labrador and most of the Northern and Western States with it. Love our unit!

Harry1

We ordered a 3010RE in January 2014 and took delivery in March. They upgraded the axles on all units being built from Feb and on, so that's the reason for the increase to 15500 lbs max GVWR. Our unit weighed in empty from the factory with our options at 12070 lbs. We did not order the generator, washer/dryer or bedroom AC nor did we get the dual pane windows or residential refridgerator. All other options are the ones we included in our build including Goodyear G-Rated Tires. Our travel loaded weight is around 14,300 lbs. Pin weight aound 2900 lbs. We are on the road 7 months at a time and love the 3010RE.

Stosh

We own a 2015 Bighorn 3010RE, and love it. Yes the upgrade to the heavier axles is the increased weight. We don't travel with full tanks and do not have a generator or washer/dryer and have had no issues or concerns. Good luck

netw8

Thanks everyone for all the helpful info! I did contact HL engineering and they confirmed what most of you said...they changed from 6000# axles to 7000# axles for the 2015 model year and therefore the change in GVWR. We have decided to buy this rig and can't wait to pick it up in Iowa around March 17th. We are looking forward to the adventure of driving from Denver to Des Moines and back in mid March...Wish us luck. This unit does not have either a generator or washer/dryer so pin weight shouldn't be too bad. However, I do plan on adding a 4 battery 6volt bank and solar which will add some to the pin weight. I will update my profile once we have the unit back home. Can't wait! Thanks again for everyone's help. For those of you that have the same unit (2013 BH 3010re) I will be interested to hear about the mods you have made to your units and any other advice you want to share.

jbeletti

Thanks everyone for all the helpful info! I did contact HL engineering and they confirmed what most of you said...they changed from 6000# axles to 7000# axles for the 2015 model year and therefore the change in GVWR. We have decided to buy this rig and can't wait to pick it up in Iowa around March 17th. We are looking forward to the adventure of driving from Denver to Des Moines and back in mid March...Wish us luck. This unit does not have either a generator or washer/dryer so pin weight shouldn't be too bad. However, I do plan on adding a 4 battery 6volt bank and solar which will add some to the pin weight. I will update my profile once we have the unit back home. Can't wait! Thanks again for everyone's help. For those of you that have the same unit (2013 BH 3010re) I will be interested to hear about the mods you have made to your units and any other advice you want to share.
Congratulations Rich! Once you get that new camper, it's time to consider joining the Heartland Owners Club. We have a very active chapter in Colorado. Learn more by following the club link in my sig below.

I also live in CO (Peyton - Colorado Springs).

brianlajoie

Congratulations on picking your trailer. We also have a BH 3010RE. Make sure you have a thorough PDI to go over the trailer with. You should expect to spend several hours going over every square inch of the trailer. Your trailer should also be set up with propane, water and electricity to test the different mechanical systems. If you can swing it, make sure to closely inspect the roof for any damage. Look at the year/week the tires were made. If they are pushing 5 years old and were not protected from the sun, they may need to be replaced. The bearings should also be verified that they were maintained recently. If you are getting the trailer from a 3rd party, try to make sure all the documentation that came with the new trailer is still there. Our 2014 trailer is not too much different than your 2013, if you have any questions.