AC Intermittent - Corroded cable connector

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have been fighting an intermittent bedroom AC for almost a year. When it worked it would freeze you out nut then it would quit working and only the fan would run and run and run without the compressor coming on. Changed out the control board and it did not change. I broke the thermostat checking it out so had to replace it. No change. I was talking to a RV Repair guy I know and he told me to check the communication cable. There is a junction where the communication cable plugs into and another communication cable plugs into the other side. The communication cable looks like a wide phone cable. The cable gets corrosion on it. So I unplugged the cable on both ends, cleaned the connections and plugged it in. Works like it is supposed to. Just thought that might help some of you. BTW to access the connection you will have to remove the AC Cover on the roof and you can see the connection lying in there.

rxbristol

I have been fighting an intermittent bedroom AC for almost a year. When it worked it would freeze you out nut then it would quit working and only the fan would run and run and run without the compressor coming on. Changed out the control board and it did not change. I broke the thermostat checking it out so had to replace it. No change. I was talking to a RV Repair guy I know and he told me to check the communication cable. There is a junction where the communication cable plugs into and another communication cable plugs into the other side. The communication cable looks like a wide phone cable. The cable gets corrosion on it. So I unplugged the cable on both ends, cleaned the connections and plugged it in. Works like it is supposed to. Just thought that might help some of you. BTW to access the connection you will have to remove the AC Cover on the roof and you can see the connection lying in there.

Thanks, where was the junction box located?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks, where was the junction box located?

It is located under the cover on the roof air. Take the cover off and you will see a bunch of wire lying there and there is a wire that looks like a phone wire (data cable) and it runs from the control box to a small cream colored splice connector. The other end of the connector has the data cable that runs from the splice connector to the back of the thermostat. The splice connector is where the corrosion can occur causing interminent operation. You can buy a new splice connector from Radio Shack for about $9.

wdk450

It is located under the cover on the roof air. Take the cover off and you will see a bunch of wire lying there and there is a wire that looks like a phone wire (data cable) and it runs from the control box to a small cream colored splice connector. The other end of the connector has the data cable that runs from the splice connector to the back of the thermostat. The splice connector is where the corrosion can occur causing interminent operation. You can buy a new splice connector from Radio Shack for about $9.

This can most likely be fixed by a spray of Cramolyn DeOxIt contact restorer/cleaner spray. You might be able to get this at Radio Shack at a big discount with their expected bankruptcy sale, otherwise you can find it on Amazon.