Access to area under shower?

cnk

First time poster here. I discovered a leak today only when the shower is running. Water is dripping out from the furnace access cover area outside, and the seam over the cargo access door on the same side. Happens with both hot or cold water running. I took the access door in the shower off, and there is no water leaks seen from there. Also, no leaks when the sink is running, so I believe it's in the shower drain - either the actual fitting from the shower to drain line, or in the trap fittings. Either that or a crack in the shower floor? Any suggestions on how to access the plumbing under the shower? Thanks!

danemayer

Hi cnk,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people. I'm sure you'll get some feedback shortly.

mlpeloquin

You may have to take the wall down behind the UDC in order to gain access to the plumbing. It is the wall on the UDC side of the storage bay. In there should be your converter and water pump. Use a magnet to find all the screw heads. I put hinges on the wall for easy future access. If it leaks with the shower and the sink, then it should be in a plumbing connection and not the tub. I had to shorten the pipe from the shower to get a proper slope so the shower would drain properly. Water does not like going level to up hill so well.

jbeletti

cnk - sorry to hear about your leak. I suggest that you look at the space below your shower. Unsure of your layout but it's likely that the shower is above the area where your water heater, furnace, water pump etc is. This is usually rearward of your storage bay. The carpeted walls that separate the storage bay from the utility area is usually held in with 4 screws. The screws may require a #2 square bit. Remove the wall and start poking around.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You may find #2 screws joining the basement wall sections in the center. There are also 3 or 4 of them holding the wall section to the UDC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aatauses

You can easily remove the 3 or 4 screws on the back wall in your basement and this will allow you to see all of your plumbing. Since I had so many leaks in our unit I never put the screws back in, just set the "wall" back in place so it is easy to get to. I also leave a towel back there so I can reach in every once in a while and make sure we have no additional leaks.
al
currently in AZ.

VACHZHD

If it only happens when the shower is running make sure to check the plastic diverter connection between the hot & cold valves and the shower hose that is inside the shower faucet housing. Ours leaked that way and it was hard to find - a hair line crack that sprayed up into the wall when the shower was running, but almost impossible to see... then running down and leaking out the side of the trailer around the water heater and furnace. Its a cheap part and relatively easy to replace - I recommend checking it before tearing too deeply into anything else. Good luck!

cnk

If it only happens when the shower is running make sure to check the plastic diverter connection between the hot & cold valves and the shower hose that is inside the shower faucet housing. Ours leaked that way and it was hard to find - a hair line crack that sprayed up into the wall when the shower was running, but almost impossible to see... then running down and leaking out the side of the trailer around the water heater and furnace. Its a cheap part and relatively easy to replace - I recommend checking it before tearing too deeply into anything else. Good luck!

Bingo! You are exactly correct. It was the plastic piece between the hot and cold valves. Thanks for the great input EVERYONE! I took the panel in the storage area off just to see, and now know how to access so much more of our RV. As a DIY guy, it's great to have that info, and great to have a place to come and ask questions.

Jake8420

I have a 2012 Elkridge series E25 and found a leak in the shower drain. It looks like my underrub access is in the wall that butts up against the steps keasinginto the bedroom. It also looks like the bottom step can be removed to reveal the access point however I am unable to find any screws or anything to remove the step. Anyone know how to access this area?

danemayer

I have a 2012 Elkridge series E25 and found a leak in the shower drain. It looks like my underrub access is in the wall that butts up against the steps keasinginto the bedroom. It also looks like the bottom step can be removed to reveal the access point however I am unable to find any screws or anything to remove the step. Anyone know how to access this area?

If there's carpet covering the screws, a magnet will usually locate the screws pretty quickly.

jimtoo

HI Jake,

I'm sure your steps are covered with carpet, so get a good magnet and move along the top edge. You should find 4--5 screws embedded in the carpet that you can remove to gain access under and behind the steps.

Jim M