Actual Fuel Mileage

porthole

Retired
What do you do with that thing. Looks like it could use a couple Yamaha 4-strokes.

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23527&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1363745857

That is an example of your tax dollars at work.

The boat is a 25' "Safe boat".
http://www.uscg.mil/international/25ft.asp

After 9-11 the USCG and the DHS commissioned new fast response patrol boats, this is just one example. Some of them, such as this asset, apparently have out lived their usefulness and are decommissioned and placed into an asset redistribution program.

Basically the feds give away this plus $200K when new boat to another agency. The "DRMO-DRMS and now DLS-DS" offer up the assets to other federal agencies, then state, then local government at no cost, then offered to the public at auction if there are no "G" takers.

This boat, a 2004 IIRC is going to the Mantoloking Police Department on the Jersey shore. If you saw any of the hurricane Sandy damage on the news down there you most likely so many pictures of the new inlets that cut the barrier island in half at the bridge, taking 13 house with it. That is Mantoloking.

The boat originally had twin Honda 250's. The PD is looking at twin E-Tec 250's they are usually stripped of electronics and other equipment, including the M-60's that mount on the fore and aft posts. They are very nice high end boats.

http://www.dispositionservices.dla.mil/

Sumo

I have the stock 26 gal fuel tank and have no problems. The fuel stops nation wide are easy to find and the fueling intervals are just right for stretching the legs and getting coffee or a soda. When I toured with a motor cycle, I stooped for fuel overing 150/200 miles and now with the truck its 250/300 miles. What is wrong with that? I can't see paying the big bucks to go 500/900 miles between fuel stops.

Because out here in the west diesel maybe more than 26 gals away from my last fuel stop. Diesel isn't every where.

scottyb

I assumed it was going for some public safety purpose, based on your occupation. I know what you mean about the post 911 grants. About 2/3 of our rescue team are fire capt or batallion chiefs and the other 1/3 are police capt. I hear the stories all day long sitting on the rescue boat. Me, I'm just a lowly rescue diver.

We do use a stokes on classes with open cockpits because the driver gets tossed out of the boat. But the boat is designed to lift the break-away capsule or an entire sunken boat when necessary. After years of trying to lift over the side, I managed to get my way and Lucas built new boats that actually take advantage of the boats weight for leverage. This one was in Marble Falls, TX. The 1st photo was on Mission Bay in San diego. That is actually an upside down capsule with a driver still in it in the 1st photo.

Attachments

• JTD_5179.jpg
    JTD_5179.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 61
  • JTD_5189.jpg
    JTD_5189.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 62
  • JTD_5205.jpg
    JTD_5205.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 63
  • JTD_5210.jpg
    JTD_5210.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 59
  • JTD_5218.jpg
    JTD_5218.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 58
  • JTD_5222.jpg
    JTD_5222.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 59

dave10a

Because out here in the west diesel maybe more than 26 gals away from my last fuel stop. Diesel isn't every where.

wow you must really live in the sticks. I was born in Idaho and have traveled extensively in all western states and never found the need for more fuel capacity. The fuel stops for 18 wheelers is growing every week.

Sumo

Go North out of Pocatello, plenty of diesel for the first 75 miles. Next big fuel stop is Butte 255 miles away. The stock fuel tank had me looking for diesel every 200 miles or 55 miles short of Butte. With the extra fuel I don't need to look for diesel every 2 to 3 hrs.

I"m not saying it's impossible to find Diesel, just that not every exit with a gas stations going to have it.

Big rigs can carry up to 200 gals of diesel.

pegmikef

I had the 26 gallon tank too and it did not satisfy my "what if 75 mile cushion factor" . . . e.g,, what if I can't fit into the station, or what if they have run out of fuel, or what if etc. I personally like to have a 75 mile cushion for the unforeseen and that is 7 plus gallons. In another example at Big Bend last year fuel was around 4.60 a gallon, but in Marathon (100 miles from Rio Grande Village in Big Bend) fuel was 3.70 a gallon, so I filled up in Marathon and then had plenty of fuel to drive all around Big Bend (and it is big) and still get back to Maraton the following week to get fuel at the lower cost.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Last tank I monitored I was .2 of a MPG from hand cal vs the trip meter on my ford. Pickup is completely stock with approx 6k miles on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Lynn1130

SUMO +1
I like the option of filling when I find good fuel prices and not being forced into filling at $4.50+ a gal or having to try to fit into a Quick Stop with 50+ feet of rig. Oh, and try a 26 gal tank and a 20 mph head wind. See how far you get and IF you can make the next diesel station.

Sumo

SUMO +1
Oh, and try a 26 gal tank and a 20 mph head wind. See how far you get and IF you can make the next diesel station.

I have already experienced that. The down side of driving a diesel, a 20 mph head wind only effects your mileage. LOL.

The wife and I ran away from home this last weekend. Had a great time. Bad news, my pump in the secondary tank has stopped working. So $4.40 a gallon to get home vs. the $3.75 at home. Sure would have been nice to have an extra 50 gallans before I left town.

Lynn1130

I came out of Dalhart going to Tucumcari with a 26 gal tank and hit a 20+ mph head wind. No worries, me thinks it is not that far. Well guess what, it is a worry because I watched the needle go down as I motored on. I made it, and probably had more fuel than I expected when I got there but I had a 52 gal tank installed within a month of that trip. I should add that I had filled in Liberal so was not that far down but the winds were not forecast and caught me by surprise. But, then when should one ever be surprised by winds in the panhandles?