Adding a second Battery

VRob13313

I am interested in adding a second battery however I heard you should purchase both batteries at the same time. I have a battery that came with the Travel Trailer and it appears to be in excellent condition but it is about a year old. Am I setting myself up for failure if I add a matching 12 volt battery, or should I just wait until this battery dies and then go for the two battery upgrade?

Jbbar

In the past I have added an additional battery of similar size and make with no issue. It is not the optimal solution but it worked.

mlpeloquin

One year old I would not worry with the understanding that the life of the set will be a bit shorter do to the age of the original battery.

olcoon

We had the original battery in our rig replaced in 2010 under warranty. In 2012 I decided I needed a 2nd battery as we were having to run the furnace all night with no electricity. I only bought 1 new one, and haven't had an issue with either one of them. I leave it plugged in at home, and have never had to add any any water to either one of them.

sjandbj

Having both batteries matching is always the best but i this case there should be no problem. I would add the second battery if it was my rig.

danemayer

I have seen discussions about the older battery causing charging limitations that affect the newer battery. I think it's a case of get less than optimal results, and maybe a shorter than usual life on the new battery.

I'd advise putting in two brand new identical batteries.

Lynn1130

Me too, Dan. Since batteries here in Arizona last about 18 months and the dealers are not known to spend much on any added item including batteries I would not trust that it would not cause issues when the second was added.