Adding an inverter to Cyclone 3850

Nevs83

Hey all. I’m tired of running the generator just to power up some appliances (like coffee) when I want them.
I’m ready to install a “whole house” inverter. This trailer never had an inverter so I have questions:

I know the design I want (shore power/generator to transfer switch, batteries and AC power to inverter, then I want the shore power/generator to power the Air Conditioning and the inverter to power everything else. I don’t want to run air conditioning through the inverter. I also have solar and 4 golf cart batteries.

So, I’m having trouble figuring out where to put the inverter. Do I put it in the battery compartment? If so, I believe I need to split the AC distribution panel in the kitchen so that only the shore power/generator powers the air conditioning. I need 2 different distribution panels right? How do you get wiring all the way from the battery compartment to the kitchen island?

I guess my question is logistics. I have a fairly good understanding of electricity and the design…just need help figuring out how to make it happen.

Thanks in advance

Bogie

The best place to put the inverter is as close to the batteries as feasible. Long DC runs are not recommended due to cable losses.

Sounds like you will need an additional ATS, an additional sub panel for the AC load and will need to run cable between the new sub panel to the ATS who's output is from the Generator and Shore Power. Cable routing will depend on your RV's layout.

The diagram on THIS thread may provide some insight.

Last edited:

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
I used the Go Power 3000 and just powered the entire trailer. When I run the AC's I just start the generator. Works great. You said Golf Cart batteries. The more Amp hours you have the better it works. Im at 600 with lithium batteries and it works great although they are not needed. Their website offers several installation diagrams. Good Luck.

SLO

Inverter as close to batteries as possible as others have said. I needed to use 4/0 welding cable between batteries and inverter if distance was less than 5’, according to inverter mfg. jleavitt11 idea is good and you wouldn’t have to do anything to breaker panel. I did it different but both ways would work.

If your trailer came with a Progressive Dynamics PD55B series breaker panel, you can change it out to a PD55B006 50 amp panel which incorporates a sub panel into it. There’s no extending or running new cable to branch circuits. Run a 6/3 awg cable from panel to interver and another 6/3 awg cable back to panel. I used a Magnum MS2812 inverter but Go Pawer is also good and both are 50 amps with built in transfer switch and converter. I did it this way so I don’t accidentally run my fireplace, water heater, air conditioner, etc on inverter. Be sure to unplug your existing converter so they both don’t work at same time.

Here’s a picture of my breaker panel to help clarify things.
6274733cf1ae9033d2efbc2a412ab899.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spectra

Hey all. I’m tired of running the generator just to power up some appliances (like coffee) when I want them.
I’m ready to install a “whole house” inverter. This trailer never had an inverter so I have questions:

I know the design I want (shore power/generator to transfer switch, batteries and AC power to inverter, then I want the shore power/generator to power the Air Conditioning and the inverter to power everything else. I don’t want to run air conditioning through the inverter. I also have solar and 4 golf cart batteries.

So, I’m having trouble figuring out where to put the inverter. Do I put it in the battery compartment? If so, I believe I need to split the AC distribution panel in the kitchen so that only the shore power/generator powers the air conditioning. I need 2 different distribution panels right? How do you get wiring all the way from the battery compartment to the kitchen island?

I guess my question is logistics. I have a fairly good understanding of electricity and the design…just need help figuring out how to make it happen.

Thanks in advance
I just completed an install of a Victron 3000W MultiPlus II 2 x 120 Inverter in my 2017 Road Warrior 427 Toy Hauler fifth wheel. It is a 50 A "full pass thru" unit. I installed it between the output side of the ATS and the Main AC distribution panel. When plugged in to Shore power or Generator power, all power "passes thru" the Inverter and powers everything in the RV as it did originally. As soon as AC power is unplugged, it switches over to the Inverter and the Inverter powers all loads drawing from my Lithium battery bank which is monitored using a SmartShunt. I also installed 800 watts on solar that charges the batteries via a Victron 150/85 MPPT Smart Solar Charge Controller. All the Victron components are accessible Bluetooth or WiFi with Victron CerboGX unit and viewable on the Touch 50 color display. I love the flexibility of being able to power everything in the RV regardless of being "plugged in" or "off grid" I highly recommend the numerous videos and complete detailed wiring diagrams from Nate at Explorist.life. Good luck with you project!

Attachments

• 20230422_105633.jpg
    20230422_105633.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230510_190600.jpg
    20230510_190600.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230418_120349.jpg
    20230418_120349.jpg
    955.7 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: JD7