Adding Transfer switch

Routemaster

Is there any reason why one can't add a transfer switch so as to have a third way to supply solar power to the coach by moving the gen wire to the new box with the solar input and then out of the new box to the input gen of the exiting box?
Den.

Bogie

I used two Esco LPT50 BRD transfer switches. I also corrected the diagram in the original post. Two reasons. Reversed the Inverter and Shore Power inputs. (Bad memory) But also because I re-wired the converter circuit so the converter would not be operational while the RV is powered by the inverter.

centerline

im not understanding the need for an ATS for solar power.... the ATS handles AC power circuits, but the solar power is a DC input circuit.... they dont mix...

solar power goes from the panels to the controller and then direct to the batteries (NEVER thru any other device).... and then the batteries supply power to the inverter (which may already be equipped with an ATS for safety reasons) and the inverter supplies power to your appliances.......

so maybe you are asking if you can install an ATS to the inverter yourself.... which the answer would be YES, it can be done with little more effort than it takes to run the wires...

Last edited:

Bogie

im not understanding the need for an ATS for solar power.... the ATS handles AC power circuits, but the solar power is a DC input circuit.... they dont mix...
Wiring the inverter in the ATS allows the operation of all AC appliance in the RV at will. When we are boondocking we try not to run the generator too much so as not to bother our neighbors. Especially early in the morning and late at night.

centerline

Wiring the inverter in the ATS allows the operation of all AC appliance in the RV at will. When we are boondocking we try not to run the generator too much so as not to bother our neighbors. Especially early in the morning and late at night.
the OP was asking about an ATS as a 3rd way to incorporate solar power into his AC system..... which is far different than adding an ATS to the inverter.... NOTHING really runs off the solar panels themselves, as they only deliver a charging effect to the batteries, which then the battery is the DC power supply for all 12v circuits, devices, appliances and equipment, which includes the INPUT to the inverter.... the SOLAR ARRAY itself, nor its wiring has any connection what so ever to an ATS, an inverter or any other part of the AC power supply system....

as long as the op understands, it will minimize any misunderstandings or mistakes that would cause damage....

Bogie

the OP was asking about an ATS as a 3rd way to incorporate solar power into his AC system..... which is far different than adding an ATS to the inverter.... NOTHING really runs off the solar panels themselves, as they only deliver a charging effect to the batteries, which then the battery is the DC power supply for all 12v circuits, devices, appliances and equipment, which includes the INPUT to the inverter.... the SOLAR ARRAY itself, nor its wiring has any connection what so ever to an ATS, an inverter or any other part of the AC power supply system....

as long as the op understands, it will minimize any misunderstandings or mistakes that would cause damage....

I agree. If the ANYONE doesn’t understand the difference between AC and DC, at a minimum, they have no business working on any electrical elements of an RV. No one should work on anything electrical unless they have sufficient knowledge to do so!

That said, I didn’t interpret the OP’s original question to mean he wanted to connect the solar panels directly to the ATS. He was talking about the generator wire, which is AC. Also, nothing in my answer suggested doing that. Look at the diagram. Nowhere does it show solar going to anything.

ATS – AC device
Generator – AC device
Inverter - AC device.
Shore power – of course AC
Converter - AC device

Once again. If ANYONE is not completely competent in working on electrical devices and wiring, they shouldn't be attempting these things.

Routemaster

I have a Magnum inverter converter with two legs outputs @ 110v each and I did not want to tear into the back of the house panel to connect them thought it could be a better way to use a second ATS yes?

SLO

I have a Magnum inverter converter with two legs outputs @ 110v each and I did not want to tear into the back of the house panel to connect them thought it could be a better way to use a second ATS yes?

Does your inverter output go to a sub panel? How did you get power to your inverter if you didn’t get into the back of your house panel? I’m assuming, with these questions, that your Magnum has a built in transfer switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Routemaster

1. Yes 2. I have 440w panel MTP 60 4 6v deep cycle batteries that did not get into the house panel. I am not clear on the transfer switch.

centerline

1. Yes 2. I have 440w panel MTP 60 4 6v deep cycle batteries that did not get into the house panel. I am not clear on the transfer switch.
you can make it more confusing and difficult to do if you are planning to add the ATS for the inverter to just one leg of the power going into the distribution panel...... OR, you can keep it easy and much simpler to understand by connecting the ATS to BOTH legs coming into the distribution panel....

because if you need to use the inverter, its because you have NO shore power.... and if you DO have shore power, there is no need for the inverter.... (and again, the solar input has no relation or relevance in this conversation)

connect it into the circuit as normal and you will have no future problems..... cut the line between the shore pwr/genset ATS and the RV's power distribution panel, install the new ATS in the wires you just cut, and then wire the inverter into it.... done.

you can also buy inverters with built in ATS, which are easy to install..

Last edited:

Routemaster

Sorry I should have typed 2 @ 220w I bought these 10 years ago and the Co was in LA CA no longer there.
Den.

Attachments

• Solar Panels info.jpg
    Solar Panels info.jpg
    822.5 KB · Views: 12