Adding back the Linc remote slide and level-up control system that was dropped by Heartland

kdubinwa

Sometime during the 2016 production run of Bighorn's (and presumably Landmark and Big Country) Heartland eliminated the Linc IDS Touch Screen Remote, the wireless Level-Up controller and the multi-function wireless controller used for slides and lights. That didn't seem to get a lot of press here and I'm trying to understand if there were chronic problems with the wireless system or just more cost cutting by Heartland. Anyone have insight or care to comment?

My research suggests I can add back the system for about $750 for 3 components, some rewiring of manual switches and some programming. But before I go down that road I'd like to know: Do you use the system? Is it reliable? How bad would you miss it if it was not an option?

Thanks,
Kurt

jbeletti

Sometime during the 2016 production run of Bighorn's (and presumably Landmark and Big Country) Heartland eliminated the Linc IDS Touch Screen Remote, the wireless Level-Up controller and the multi-function wireless controller used for slides and lights. That didn't seem to get a lot of press here and I'm trying to understand if there were chronic problems with the wireless system or just more cost cutting by Heartland. Anyone have insight or care to comment?

My research suggests I can add back the system for about $750 for 3 components, some rewiring of manual switches and some programming. But before I go down that road I'd like to know: Do you use the system? Is it reliable? How bad would you miss it if it was not an option?

Thanks,
Kurt

Kurt,

The remote system had no inherent issues in my experience with them on several Landmarks. It's my understanding that they were identified as a feature that didn't provide enough retail benefit vs the cost to have them on every coach.

I very rarely used the remote for my slides, never used it for the step light or awning but did use it frequently only for my front landing gear when hitching/unhitching. I'm not saying that I represent the typical user but I just never used all the other functions of the remote.

That said, I did sorely miss the ability to raise/lower the front landing gear from inside my truck cab to aid hitching and unhitching, so I added that to my current coach. It required a new LevelUp main board (brain) and remote control. I think the retail cost was in the $500 range.

Adding remote control to other items requires relays, solenoids, wiring, new main board and the remote. My guess is that the materials would be in the $1000 range.

Work with Lippert to obtain the parts should you wish to DIY this.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I wish we had it too. I would like to be able to raise and lower the jacks from the truck, and put the slides in & out from outside or in the bedroom. Also run the Awnings in and out from outside. I will add the unit to run the level-up but don't think I'll tap into any other items.

farside291

I have had no issues with the system. I use it primarily to run the awning in or out because its difficult to see the awning from the switch location. Never for the slides or front landing gear. Mostly because its kept hanging inside the fifth wheel and not on my person. I do wish I had a switch for the turning on the scare lights instead of only the remote.

travlingman

I use the Linc all the time. Like being able to stand in bedroom and bring slide in and watch it. Use it for outside awning, raising/lowering the front gear.

I remember when it was discontinued it was brought up on the Landmark forum and Tom came on and said one of the reasons they stopped it was because of warranty issues it was causing.

avvidclif

A previous SOB had a remote and it was great for running the slides out while standing outside and checking clearances. Some places we stayed were a tad tight. Awning was nice also.

mlpeloquin

Thanks,
Kurt

I use it for the front landing gear, slides, and the step light. Only once or twice I have used it for the awning. I find it extremely useful for the slides. Almost indispensible for the slides. Trees and tall bushes are a real problem. Spaces in a lot of parks are tight and are surrounded by them. If you care about your rig, you want to be outside viewing what is going on when extending your slides. If you have slide toppers, it is a must. I cannot believe Heartland decided that the remote is not a useful and valuable tool for a fifth wheel owner. Does anyone at Heartland who makes this type of decision actually own and camp in a fifth wheel?

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We use the Linc Remote all the time on both our Landmark and our previous Bighorn and absolutely love it! I would be really disappointed to not have it on a future rig.

Rod

kdubinwa

Kurt,

The remote system had no inherent issues in my experience with them on several Landmarks. It's my understanding that they were identified as a feature that didn't provide enough retail benefit vs the cost to have them on every coach.

I very rarely used the remote for my slides, never used it for the step light or awning but did use it frequently only for my front landing gear when hitching/unhitching. I'm not saying that I represent the typical user but I just never used all the other functions of the remote.

That said, I did sorely miss the ability to raise/lower the front landing gear from inside my truck cab to aid hitching and unhitching, so I added that to my current coach. It required a new LevelUp main board (brain) and remote control. I think the retail cost was in the $500 range.

Adding remote control to other items requires relays, solenoids, wiring, new main board and the remote. My guess is that the materials would be in the $1000 range.

Work with Lippert to obtain the parts should you wish to DIY this.

Jim,

Your prior post for adding a remote for control of the Level-Up was helpful. That install seems very straight forward -- just swap out the standard Level-Up control board for the plug and play wireless version. Unfortunately, I think I value remote control of slides outside of the 5ver even more than the Level-Up.

Regarding the multi-function remote control system, beyond installing power for the new board and wiring the switches, what requires installation of new relays and solenoids?

I'm looking at the Lippert LCI Multi-Function 5-Output Fuse MUX Receiver P/N 18698.

The board appears to have RF controlled relays already installed for 5 separately fused circuits. The wiring diagram does preserve the use of the manual slide and awning switches by wiring them in-line but the fused loads now come directly from the new board and not from the 12v distribution center.

Since my kitchen and door side slides are on a single switch I assume I would have to keep them switched together unless I manually closed one of the isolation valves in the front storage compartment. The bedroom slide, main awning and light switches are nearby in the same cabinet. My un-educated brain thinks it might be reasonable to install the multi-function board behind the switches.

Given the response here I think more than a few people may consider the DIY route... a challenge I know. This will be a measure 10x then cut once drill... if I don't loose my nerve or learn of other complications.

I'm out of the US for two more weeks but intend to explore more with Lippert when I return.

jbeletti

...I cannot believe Heartland decided that the remote is not a useful and valuable tool for a fifth wheel owner. Does anyone at Heartland who makes this type of decision actually own and camp in a fifth wheel?

The spirit of my remark was "cost vs benefit", not that owners didn't find the remote useful / valuable.

As to your final remark - to my knowledge, only a handful of Heartland employees actually RV. This is fairly typical of the industry. I wish it were different.

jbeletti

...Regarding the multi-function remote control system, beyond installing power for the new board and wiring the switches, what requires installation of new relays and solenoids?...

The new relays will be on the board.

I'm thinking some additional items may be needed to actuate the hydraulics on a discrete (item by item) basis - but I could be wrong. I'm no expert on this.

What do you estimate your total parts cost will be and how many labor hours are you estimating?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I use it for the front landing gear, slides, and the step light. Only once or twice I have used it for the awning. I find it extremely useful for the slides. Almost indispensible for the slides. Trees and tall bushes are a real problem. Spaces in a lot of parks are tight and are surrounded by them. If you care about your rig, you want to be outside viewing what is going on when extending your slides. If you have slide toppers, it is a must. I cannot believe Heartland decided that the remote is not a useful and valuable tool for a fifth wheel owner. Does anyone at Heartland who makes this type of decision actually own and camp in a fifth wheel?

Good question !!! Why would they drop such a cool and useful feature ?

kdubinwa

The new relays will be on the board.I'm thinking some additional items may be needed to actuate the hydraulics on a discrete (item by item) basis - but I could be wrong. I'm no expert on this.What do you estimate your total parts cost will be and how many labor hours are you estimating?

Assuming I have the correct parts :) right now I estimate about $650. I rigged my offshore fishing boat last spring from end to end and have plenty of 12v wire, crimps, heat shrink, etc... so above I have only included the Lippert wireless receiver(2) and remote(1) costs.

I was a software engineer for years so hopefully the programming will be brief.

Installing the components and rewiring switches will probably take me a full day going slow and careful. If this all pans out, I will just use small marine buss bars mounted right behind the existing switches to simplify all the common ground and power switch connections. That appears to be the most time consuming task for the install.

With all that said, I still remain uncertain of the exact component requirements for tying in the slide switches -- probably won't be able to put that to bed until I talk to Lippert in a few weeks.

danemayer

Good question !!! Why would they drop such a cool and useful feature ?

Some people think it's cool. Others think it's ok. Some prefer to just use switches. There have been past negative comments about lights that can only be operated with the remote.

I'm pretty sure that for each model, the Product/General Manager has a cost target. If he needs to add something, or make something better (at a higher cost) to keep up with the competition, or to lead, something else has to come out.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Why not have it as an option. Pay for it or dont.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Miamogue

Has anyone installed the linc system. In looking at the current system on my ordered Bighorn, I was wondering if it wasn't as simple as operating the remote brain by tying into the switches. They do everything, switch the hydraulic valves, state the pump for the system. I'm not sure you have to rewire everything. Just control the switches with an appropriate brain.

danemayer

I think I recall someone else looking into this a while back and finding the pricing of the device to be pretty high.