Adirondacks - Upstate NY summer trip recommendations

DirtyMax88

Good Morning everyone. We are looking to plan a trip sometime in mid July to Saratoga/Lake George area and we are looking for recommendations. We are traveling from outside Annapolis MD. We have an RV GPS, so the route doesn't bother me to much, I would assume we head up the NJ Turnpike, to the garden state parkway, then up I-87? Looking at Good Sam, there doesn't seem to be any nice RV parks/campgrounds in or around Saratoga? Lake George looks to have quite a few but they all look tight and wooded? Am I wrong? Has anyone traveled through there or stayed in a campground with a larger 5th wheel? I don't mind wooded sites, but we like to try to find that balance, so our roof mounted sat will work. We have heard lots of nice things about this area. I look forward to any and all info! Thank you!

NYSUPstater

x2 on Moose Hillock. About 6 miles from Rte 9/Northway(87). Sites are HUGE. Last I knew tho, they were booking folks looking to stay a week, so best to call them. IMO, not only is this place are fav to stay while in the LG area, it's not right tight against your neighbor, quiet and not too far from anything. Lake Placid is about 1 1.5-2 hour trip, Ausable Chasm about the same. Don't think you'll find any CG in the Saratoga area----have to go north. Alpine Lake has tight sites and LOTS of seasonals. Lake George RV Resort (one you hear of most ofetn) has tight sites, but lots of things for kids to do. Ledgeview decent sites, fair number of seasonals, not a whole lotta kids. Lake George Escape (past Lake George, Warrensburg actually), sites are a lil close, but doable, lots of things for kids.

Depending on when you arrive and if you stay at LG RV Resort, Ledgeview or Moose Hillock, Rte 9 can get very congested and take you a good 15-20 minutes to go 1 mile. Try to avoid Fri afternoon....say 230-6pm and Sun morn 9-1130am. Lake George is about a 10-15/20 minute drive from any of the CG's mentioned.

If you have a diesel, I'd suggest getting fuel at Scotty's Truck Stop, exit 16 off the Northway (87), mile marker 36. Only place I get fuel while there. Can stop on way up thru. Plenty of restaurants in LG, Queensbury and Glens Falls area. 6 Flags Great Escape Theme park as well is close by. Grocery stores: Queensbury and 1 in LG. If you want a good pizza and don't mind to drive or in town. Pizza Jerks in LG (next to Price Chopper). Parking----may have to park in public lot ($) and walk, but we hit this place up when over there. Barnsider BBQ on Rte 9 just south of LG is a very good joint as well. Like Pizza Jerks, that's on our radar each year too. We found a new BBQ joint near Moose Hillock (Thirsty Moose????). This wasn't too bad either. Wife loved a BBQ they had and bought a bottle.

FWIW, the areas I've mentioned are about 50 miles north of Albany or exit 24 (I-87, I-90, I-87 Northway) exchange.

DirtyMax88

Around Lake George there is Moose Hillock. Easy access and the RV spots are huge long and private. Check them out. http://newyork.moosehillock.com/

thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

x2 on Moose Hillock. About 6 miles from Rte 9/Northway(87). Sites are HUGE. Last I knew tho, they were booking folks looking to stay a week, so best to call them. IMO, not only is this place are fav to stay while in the LG area, it's not right tight against your neighbor, quiet and not too far from anything. Lake Placid is about 1 1.5-2 hour trip, Ausable Chasm about the same. Don't think you'll find any CG in the Saratoga area----have to go north. Alpine Lake has tight sites and LOTS of seasonals. Lake George RV Resort (one you hear of most ofetn) has tight sites, but lots of things for kids to do. Ledgeview decent sites, fair number of seasonals, not a whole lotta kids. Lake George Escape (past Lake George, Warrensburg actually), sites are a lil close, but doable, lots of things for kids.

Depending on when you arrive and if you stay at LG RV Resort, Ledgeview or Moose Hillock, Rte 9 can get very congested and take you a good 15-20 minutes to go 1 mile. Try to avoid Fri afternoon....say 230-6pm and Sun morn 9-1130am. Lake George is about a 10-15/20 minute drive from any of the CG's mentioned.

If you have a diesel, I'd suggest getting fuel at Scotty's Truck Stop, exit 16 off the Northway (87), mile marker 36. Only place I get fuel while there. Can stop on way up thru. Plenty of restaurants in LG, Queensbury and Glens Falls area. 6 Flags Great Escape Theme park as well is close by. Grocery stores: Queensbury and 1 in LG. If you want a good pizza and don't mind to drive or in town. Pizza Jerks in LG (next to Price Chopper). Parking----may have to park in public lot ($) and walk, but we hit this place up when over there. Barnsider BBQ on Rte 9 just south of LG is a very good joint as well. Like Pizza Jerks, that's on our radar each year too. We found a new BBQ joint near Moose Hillock (Thirsty Moose????). This wasn't too bad either. Wife loved a BBQ they had and bought a bottle.

FWIW, the areas I've mentioned are about 50 miles north of Albany or exit 24 (I-87, I-90, I-87 Northway) exchange.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you for all your input and recommendations. I will get to working on this Moose Hillock campground, see what they have to say. Must be new, I tried google earth and it only shows trees. :) If/when we make it up there we will be sure to check out some of these places. No worries on the diesel, we have an aux tank. before our trips, we fill up the truck and tank and we are usually good for well over 1000 miles, which should get us up and back no problems. Thanks again!

mlpeloquin

If I remember correctly, Moose Hillock Fort Ann, NY was built around 2014. They have the first Moose Hillock in Northern New Hampshire as well. Same wide deep and separated RV sites. We have stayed at both.