Summer 2017 - Trip Suggestions

cgaskins

Hi. I am looking for ideas for a 2 week trip next summer (2017). We live in Austin, Texas and have done the following:
  • Colorado (pretty much the entire state)
  • Santa Fe & Carlsbad
  • Yellowstone & Tetons
  • BlackHills South Dakota

We were considering the National Parks in Utah but I don't know if July will just be too unbearably hot. My wife kinda wants to go to the Branson area. We really enjoy National Parks and doing a lot of out door activities.

Any suggestions?

-Chris

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
How about the upper peninsula of Michigan?

Lots of water, light houses, big ships and waterfalls . . . and much more!

cgaskins

Are the Smoky Mountains too far?

Good suggestion Bill. My wife and I actually grew up in Georgia and spent our Honey Moon in the Smokey Mountains - we know the area well. :) Beautiful place.

-Chris

- - - Updated - - -

How about the upper peninsula of Michigan?

Lots of water, light houses, big ships and waterfalls . . . and much more!

Now that is a good suggestion. I'll do some research...

-Chris

kkamshop

If you decide to go to Michigan and happen to be there at the end of June - Engineer's Day at Soo Locks is a great event. Camp along the water - watch the big boats coming through the locks.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
If you are attending the national rally in June, Michigan would be a natural fit. The Lake Michigan all the way to Mackinac is beautiful. You could also hit our rally in August or Wisconsin's two weeks earlier. In between the two is the Ohio Rally. Hope to meet you at one of the four. Safe travels

Lynn1130

Utah will be hot depending upon the time of year but Branson will be hot and humid. Going up the eastern side of Utah and coming down the west will get you to most all of the best National Parks.

Several years ago we went up the western side of Utah then caught I15 to Salt Lake. Then on to Yellowstone, and then to Glacier and into Canada. You can also, after that cut back and come down the west side of Utah but we did that because we were going back home to Phoenix.

Two weeks might not be enough to see all of that so I guess you choose which you want to see. If it is just Utah then up one side and across to drop down the other would be about right. And I will give away a secret here. skirt the bottom western part, go up I15 to I 70, go east to 191 and go back down to Moab and the sights there abouts. If by some chance you go across northern Arizona to get to one side or the other don't miss the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. A thousand feet higher than the South Rim, 1/10 the tourists and much more beautiful in my opinion. It is closed from Oct to May.

NM is great and after Santa Fe is Taos, Questa and a whole bunch of different national parks and ruins.

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Branson weather is nice this time of the year. We're there right now. 78 outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cgaskins

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We have decided to make our way over to Shenandoah National Park next summer by way of Nashville, TN and then returning stop in Branson. So question for you... Any suggestions for a nice RV Park near Shenandoah NP? The park is long (north/south) so is it best to stay at the southern end or the northern end? I found a nice looking KOA in Luray, VA.

Thanks,
Chris

wdk450

I remember going on a bus tour from the Naval Base in Norfolk in the Fall, to the Shenandoah Valley. A featured stop was a tour of the Luray Caverns, and a Southern Fried Chicken lunch at a big restaurant there, catering to the tour trade.

Sarge

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We have decided to make our way over to Shenandoah National Park next summer by way of Nashville, TN and then returning stop in Branson. So question for you... Any suggestions for a nice RV Park near Shenandoah NP? The park is long (north/south) so is it best to stay at the southern end or the northern end? I found a nice looking KOA in Luray, VA.

Thanks,
Chris

Nice RV parks on Indian Point past Silver Dollar City outside Branson.

We make the trip out there every May for the Indian Motorcycle rally - And host a charity auction to benefit the Shrine Children's Hopsital in St Louis.

Great marina close by - Rent a boat and check out Table Rock Lake...

Sarge