Black Hills area in South Dakota

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Good to hear that this park is still up and running! Thirty five years ago, when our children were growing up, and we had a small pop up trailer, we spent a week at Big Pines every year. Great memories of an awesome area and some wonderful trips!

We had a great time while we were there.

Ron and Angie (the owners) took good care of us, and even loaned me an extension ladder when I needed to go up on the roof of the trailer and rewire the TV antenna after having my dealership work on it twice and not fix it right just before we left on that trip.

We will stay there again next time we go to SD unless we go to a different part of the state.

aatauses

You need to go. We workamped just south of Deadwood in a nice family owned park---Fish n Fry. It has everything you need and more. You can check out the web site. Also, you should check to see when the bike rally is--try to stay away from that week as it will be hard to find a place to stay. The monuments, hiking, biking, sightseeing will be fun.
al
currently in crystal River, FL

cgaskins

Thanks every one for the wonderful input and advice. We are definitely going!!! Trying to work up a trip agenda and get everything booked.

-Chris

Kbvols

Chris your thread has us looking at heading to SD this summer. My wife has never been out west and I have not been to SD in over 38 years. It's approximately 1200 miles for us so plotting a strategy. I appreciate all who have provided input here as it is definitely beneficial.

dbbls59

We stayed in Custer State Park without hookups. Lots to see and do in the park and enjoyed ever minute of it. We had Bison 50 yards from the trailer one night. If you do not stay in the park at least do the wildlife loop drive through the park.