NE Georgia - South Dakota

Hansel

Some friends of our's, and us are planning a trip out too South Dakota area. I've never traveled past Tennessee so I'm looking at what route's, etc.... We are both towing 5th wheel's his a toyhauler, mine a Prowler.

Any tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated:D

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
What part of SD are ya'll planning to go? We went from Knoxville, Nashville, Clarksville, Paducah KY, St Louis, Kansas City, north to Iowa City, west to Omaha, north to Sioux City & Sioux Falls, then west on I-90 to the Black Hills of SD. It took about 2 1/2 days with one day being a 14 hours pull.

cgaskins

We are headed to the Black Hills tomorrow but starting from Texas - my route won't help you much. Travel safe.

firstleg.jpg

Piperflyer

Left Nashville the middle of May for Rapid City and drove a little over 18 hours for this trip. All good roads with no road construction then. I was towing a 42' 5th wheel.
I took I-24W toward Clarksville
I-57N toward Chicago
I-64 toward St. Louis
I-70 West
I-29 N
I-90 West

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
You'll want to get to I-80 . . . then once you get to North Platte, Nebraska . . . head north!

When we were up there two years ago we stayed in Custer, SD at the Big Pines Campground.

Awesome place with lots of shade . . . and centrally located for most of the places you'lkl want to check out.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Looks like piperflyer took the same way we did except he gave you the interstate numbers. Going around St Louis was the hardest part in that there was alot of contruction and interstate to St Charles was not marked real well but that's been a couple of years ago. Maybe they have everything fixed by now.