aftermarket accessories

Brux17

We are about to take possession of our new Big Horn 3070. What aftermarket accessories would you recommend? I am thinking about surge protectors, water pressure regulators, etc. Any help will be appreciated.

2010augusta

Preston, Welcome to the Heartland Owner Forum.

We would recommend not just a surge protector, but rather a full electrical management system like the surge guard or the Progressive EMS unit.

A high flow residential water pressure regulator is also a must.

JT strongarms, Eliminators, or other stabilizers are nice to control motion.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
To add one more item to Alan's list, an in line whole house type, activated charcoal, water filter. Or a step up and add a two canister setup with a sediment first followed by charcoal.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would also recommend a good set of wheel chocks such as Roto Chocks or BAL X-chocks.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
And a tool box full of hand tools....duct tape....an assortment of screws and bolts....a clear elbow for your sewer hose.

wdk450

Many people upgrade the ride and suspension with a better than standard pinbox (like MorRide rubber block or Airborne AirBag), and trailer suspension upgrades (like MorRide Independent Suspension, or TrailAir CenterPoint Air Bags). This radically decreases the fore and back "Chucking" bumping you get when towing a 5th wheel, and decreases the bumping wear and tear on your trailer and its appliances.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One more thing......don't forget to get a loan to pay for all the stuff your gonna have to buy.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just find yourself a low interest credit card. You'll need it. You'll get to know your UPS driver on a first name basis.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Do you shopping for RV stuff at Wal-Mart...they are LOT cheaper than CW. Even most RV places are cheaper. If you figure shipping costs...you will find ordering off the net sometimes is cheaper. Just do your homework on costs of things you will need. Here's a link to a great place to buy stuff and sometimes it's free shipping.

http://tweetys.com/

Gary521

You are going to need to get some leveling blocks for your trailer. That is unless you have one of those fancy do dad leveling systems. Most folks have a level mounted on the pin box. Get the real fancy one that shows side-to-side and front-to-back level. That way when you are looking through the back window of your pickup you can see that you will be glad that you got those leveling blocks before you unhook.

Gary521

One more thing. You will need to get a 12 ton bottle jack and a lug nut wrench to change tires. Hopefully, this will never happen but if you are shod with those infamous Chinese little wonders, it will.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Several times, on rare occasions, I have needed a 30amp(or 50 amp) extension cord to get to a power source. Also at least 20' of sewer hose isn't a bad idea either.
You wonder who designs the utility placement a some campgrounds. It's better to get them at Walmart prices than to be at the mercy of the campgrond store.

Rickhansen

Brux,
I see you are our past home state of Michigan. What a great place for camping. You should include some guidance for the group on how you intend to use your new rig. It will help guide us along.

If your a weekender, anything you can do to extend your season in the North, is a good investment. If you're a full-timer or a snowbird, the list and pricetags can change and grow exponentially, with items like Satellite TV, Wireless Broadband equipment, washer/drier, new truck, etc.

Many of the 'items' I'd recommend are projects, not just pieces and parts to be procured. Example, replace the mechanical thermostats with digital / programmable stats. Projects are hard to recommend due to your needs and preferences, and your budget and abilities.

I'd hate to guess how many thousand years of widely-varied experience you can find just on this users forum. I'd recommend using the search utility of this site and ready some of the posts.

PUG

Pug
Do you shopping for RV stuff at Wal-Mart...they are LOT cheaper than CW. Even most RV places are cheaper. If you figure shipping costs...you will find ordering off the net sometimes is cheaper. Just do your homework on costs of things you will need. Here's a link to a great place to buy stuff and sometimes it's free shipping.

http://tweetys.com/

Well just to add a couple of items, purchase a TPMS system and install a toolbox fueltank combo. You'' need the tools and extra capacity.

Brux17

I want to thank everyone who responded to my question. We will pick up our Big Horn in a week or so. We will use it for local, weekend use this summer with the plan to go full-time next summer. I have made a list from the many suggestions and now I am looking for financing!
This reminds me of our boat purchase which just began the bleeding of our checkbook.
Thanks again,
Brux