Air Bag Inflation Question

PUG

Pug
02 chev duramax short bed, ext cab, oversized tires, 2500 pulling 3950 cyclone. I have Firestone air bags and at first did not have in cab pressure guage and controller. Added in cab controller and believe me it is much much nice with the ability to add or let out air depending on the roads. Much better. I run 7-10 empty and up to 85 when towing to keep pickup level and adjust how it is handling as I am going.

caissiel

I see a lot of 1/2 tons with air bags, and I feel they just keep the springs loose and allows the housing to go back and forth. My springs are plenty stiff on my F250. I was contemplating adding bags to soften the ride, will they cause my neck to shack with the minimum amout of air. My neck shacks now because I am to stiff on the springs.

charliehorse

I am pulling a 2900RK Ssundance/ Pullrite super 5 hitch - with a 05 F-250 6.0 PSD - almost at max GVW, rig handles and rides super great - i do sit abouth 2" -3" ?? low on truck rear axle. Would air bags solve this ? Hopefully they wouild not upset my smooth ride ? ? I would like to hear some advice .thanks

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I had the same sagging look to my truck even before the weight if the hitch. My truck came with the "plow package" which raised the front end 3.5" from factory. Installing air bags cured that, the truck still rides great. I only needed a 2" lift and the Firestones can lift 5" when installed properly.

Retired CPO

I recently installed the Firestone Ride Rite Air-Bags w/Compressor & Loved it. Like othere have said so well I run them at 5-7lbs dry, & 20-25 loaded with the Fith Wheel. It mostly depends on the weight over the center of your rear axel. Also considering that I have a Trail Air Hitch with a Air Bag as well so I have no need for thee higher air presures that others require. Once set for a trip I seldom have to adj. I check daily cold all air Bag presures & tires before I roll out.

porthole

Retired
I now have about 1500 miles towing with the new trailer.
As posted above I am using the air bags with the wireless controller.
The wireless is a great option!

Not only for the ride adjustment but I also use it to "help" the trailer jacks. There have times now that I have either dumped all the air or pumped it up to the max (100 psi) to "level the trailer" some before putting a load on the jacks.

I am using 5 psi with no load (the minimum for the controller and bags) and typically 75 psi without the bike in the garage, 65 psi with.

Occasionally I have added or dumped air depending on road conditions, but almost always go right back to my preset 65-75 psi.

caissiel

Neck shack is when you have to much spring in the back. I was getting that with my truck when the extra leaf was on. Now I just did a nice trip with the springs on my F250 back to stock. It is going to stay like that too.