Air Bag Suspension questions

sampiej

Morning everyone, I am a new Cyclone owner, just trying to get all my stuff set up to be a full timer when I retire from the military in a few months. Can anyone recommend airbag suspension system or give me any advice. I have an 07 Chevy 3500 with stock suspension, and a 40ft Cyclone. I dont really know much about air bags, just looking for any friendly advice, thanks

Jon

Subdrv

Jon

There are a lot of options out there. If you are happy with the unloaded ride you can add the firestone bag system. I opted for the Kelderman 4 link on my Ford F450 because I wanted to soften the the unloaded ride and be able to level when the trailer was attached. the cost runs from a few hundred on the bags to $$$ on the 4 link if you pay someone to do it. I am waiting on my Cyclone they started the build Monday

Robbie

FiremanBill

I put an Airlift kit on mine with the onboard compressor. Very easy install and can be manipulated form inside the truck by the push of a button. Once we get where we're going and unhook we drop it down tot he 5psi minimum and it rides just like it did before the bags.

Attachments

• bags and shocks.jpg
    bags and shocks.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 132

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have the Firestone Air Bags with the Air Lift remote controller/on board compressor. The system works great and allows for adding or removing inflation of the air bags while on the go without issues. We love it. This is the 3 rd truck with the air bags and would not be without them. They help to level out the truck when loaded.

scottyb

I ran my 1st truck with Timbrens. It was a cheap alternative that does what it is supposed to do, but I didn't like the ride when towing something less substantial than the Cyclone. I knew I would be trading that truck within a year. I put Firestones on the new truck and love them. I went basic with manual air fittings. My intentions are to add a frame mounted air tank and wireless remote, eventually. That way I can leave my air compressor at home and still have air for the tires and toys.

Lynn1130

I would recommend that you try it without before spending the money for airbags. In my case the Cyclone squatted the truck just enough that it raised the headlights. It may not do that with the 3500 but I think some have mentioned that it did on theirs. I did not want to get "flashed" so I put the airbags on (listed below). I can level the ride and it does soften the bad roads some (Oklahoma has some of the worst roads in the panhandle). I did not put the on-board pump as it is pretty easy to air it when I need it and deflate when I don't. I may do that at some time in the future.

DuaneG

You can't go wrong with the airbags. I have the firestones, but did not get the in cab pump and gauge. My hose runs from the airbag to a small metal flap that is under the wheel well (others have put in place of license plate screws). I have one air valve on each side and can adjust independently if ever needed when not towing but carrying an off balanced load. This was a little cheaper.

If cost is not an option and you like gadgets, get the remote control pump and you can level while standing back a bit and leveling from a distance.

mwr322000

I have several trucks with Airbags systems on them and have found that the Hellwig Bags are the best for quality of ride and the ability to carry the weight at lower bag pressures. I have their Big WIg bags in my one ton dodge dually that I town my Bighorn with and to get the proper ride I only have to put 15 psi of air in the bags and it rides awesome. These bags are a 8" diameter bag so they carry a larger load per bag and on average I have half the pressure in these bags as I do the other systems we have in our other two truck that are exactly the same truck except for model year. amazing ride and nice strong bracket system that is easy to install with no drilling of the frame. Im using the Firestone digital controller and on board compressor to control the system. I don't think you can go wrong with the Hellwig BIG WIG system. Do a google search and you can find them at a pretty decent price online from SD Truck Spring and Suspension Connection. They have on line discounts quite often that helps too. GOod luck in your search. Just remember the larger the diameter of the bags the less pressure you will need in them and the better the ride will be.

yport

I have an F250 V-10 and was given great advise by a dealer when I called to have airbags installed. They said "why do you want airbags?" Since I thought the reason was obvious I asked why they were asking. Their response ... why do you want to have to bother with airing up, airing down, airing up, etc. to adjust your ride...and be concerned about future air leaks. Their suggestion was to install a Timbren Suspension System. It's great ... once installed, forget it. No airing up and down ... when it's needed due to the load it is fully engaged and doing its job. When the load is gone it is "off" and riding like a much smoother F250 should without the load. Only engages when load is added.

I have had it for 5 years hauling my 38', 13K lb rig .... smooth .... I later found many of Massachusetts huge sanding/plow trucks all have Timbren systems. Check it out at http://timbren.com/ . The video shows it in operation.

Speedy

Jon,

As Lynn said hold off until you have everything hooked up and driven a while. Chevy/GMC 3500s have the rear-end higher when unloaded so the squat is less noticeable. As you can see by the postings that many Ford owners have to add air bags because of the Ford's softer rear springs. I have 3400 lbs. of pin weight and ride nice and level with no bags and stock springs. By adding air bags you add another system you have to fiddle with when hitching/unhitching.

danemayer

As you can see by the postings that many Ford owners have to add air bags because of the Ford's softer rear springs.
I noticed the same thing. From posts, it appears that it's mostly Ford owners adding airbags. So maybe the springs are softer.

Btw, I expect that the bed of every truck sinks when you lower 3000+ pounds on it. But in my non-expert opinion, I wouldn't call that squatting. To me, squatting implies that the weight compresses the springs to the point that the springs have little or no additional flex to deal with road shocks. As others have noted, it may also result in headlights being high.

porthole

Retired
Starting with the 2011 model year F-series super duty's Ford redesigned the rear springs. SLightly longer and the axle is in a different position relative to fore & aft. The reasoning was for a softer ride unloaded while still being able to carry a load.

No doubt these trucks can easily handle the heavy loads. But, that initial soft ride is causing the truck to drop below level.

In my case, with 3500 pounds in the bed I was still an inch + away from the overloads, but my truck was 2" low in the rear causing high headlights.

Just about everybody towing with the new fords has opted for air bags to level the truck out, not for load carrying capacity.

scottyb

If I still had my 3500 Chevy, it would have airbags on it too. My rig dropped the Chevy as much as it does my Ford. I just don't like riding nose-high. I think the combination of the air bags and my 5th Airborne make a superb ride. Much better than it was before adding the airbags.

gpshemi

I have Firestones, and had the AirRide wireless system. It gave me connection fits from day one. It als(admitted hy AirRide) has faulty programing such that when you went around the corner it woukd dump air because one bag woukd be pressurized, then immediately start refilling on the straight away. It obviously failed in short order. AirRide sent me a new one which was equally as faulty and left me without a working air system on one trip. I tore out the new unit and went to a Firestone dual gauge manual version. Never looked back at that junk. My advice, don't spend money on the fancy crap that can go bad. Just go manual and do it once.

choprpilot76

If I still had my 3500 Chevy, it would have airbags on it too. My rig dropped the Chevy as much as it does my Ford. I just don't like riding nose-high. I think the combination of the air bags and my 5th Airborne make a superb ride. Much better than it was before adding the airbags.

I'm really interested in that 5th Airborne, looks like a great modification for a smoother ride.

sampiej

Thanks everyone,

I am looking at the Airlift system, I figure I will give the gauge and in-truck compressor a shot, I know its more stuff and more systems but seems like less hassle when your hooking up and trying to get everything all figured out

I appreciate the advice and as a new almost retired soon to be fulltimer....I can garuantee I will be on here alot, chat with you soon, Jon

MdMike

I have a Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 with 6.7 cummins. I pull an Elkridge 5th wheel.

I added a set of Loadrite 5000 air bags to my truck w/o the air pump

Love the bags and the ride but if I did it again I would add the pump. While it only takes a few mins to add air to my bags with my portable compressor it is an additional item I need to carry in the truck or camper. (I let the air out after unloading so the truck rides nicer unloaded).

The were a little cheaper then the Firestones and were recommended by a friend who has had a set for his truck/5th wheel for 4 years is with no issues.

If you are going to full-time it get the pump!

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Must be at Ft. Carson or the AFB....thanks for your service!!!!!!!!!! I retired in 1990 (CW4P) and loved the service. Always thought the money was the benefit until age reared it's ugly head and now I know the medical is a god sent! I use Firestones....but mine are on a F350 Tow Boss and are much bigger than something you by on the market.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I just installed Airlift bags and the auto leveling compressor kit. It took awhile laying on concrete, on my back...but saved $200 bucks to install them. So far they work slick, kinda like the old GM "level ride system". Airlift has $50-$50 rebate deal going on now until 10-31-2013. 1 is for bags and 1 is for any compressor kit. $100 bucks if you buy both.