Air Bags-good or bad

Rrloren

If you require airbags for your vehicle you are probably overloaded.

This is not accurate! I have them and my pin weight is only about 2m lbs. and my truck is rated for more than that. I was getting too much "chucking" prior to installing the air bags and I run only 20-25 lbs. in them and my trucks stability is much improved and I'm not overloaded.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

I disagree also.

They are not made for increasing load capacity (legally), but are made for balancing a load.

They also put weight back towards the front wheels for safer handling and improved ride quality. Trace

SilverRhino

I do not agree with this statement. Many people are under the false impression that air bag "helper springs" increase the payload of the vehicle.....They absolutely do not. What they are designed to do is to improve the ride and assist with stability.

scottyb

I bought a set of Timbrens because I knew I would be changing trucks and probably brands pretty soon. At 1st, they had the wrong set. Apparently the 07 Classic / 07 Silverado issue caused some discrepancies in the parts manual. It road like a bouncy ball on the freeway. After calling Timbren, they knew exactly what the problem was and shipped the proper set, I can't really say anything against them for the price. They keep the truck level with a very heaviy loaded 4100, and they don't seem to cause any problems while unloaded. If they did, i would know since my truck goes offroad every work day. I will probably get Ride Rites or Air Lifts installed on the new truck, but the Timbrens are not a bad, inexpensive alternative, IMO.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Put me down for another opposition to this statement. Airbags increase the ride quality for any truck with a heavy load and keep the TV level for proper towing. Just because a truck squats when it is towing does not mean it is overloaded or beyond its capabilities, but that squatting profile is not the best for towing and a stable ride. When you tow, however, you want the tow vehicle level and stable for better handling and weight distribution. By removing the squatting profile, you allow your springs and shocks to function as they were intended again. Taking your vehicle back to the standard profile helps keeping everything rolling down the road the way it was meant to and keeps your headlights out of other drivers eyes. IMHO

lwmcguir

I have used air bags for over 40 years to level out the TV's. Most folks didn't even know what they were way back then. The first one that came out sat on the axle like the coil helper springs and then the next generation went inside the coils. The bags on the market for the last 10-15 years are quality products and if you have a need to level the TV then it is absolutely the best way to go. Add the frame mounted compressor and inside controls and you are set.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
jmgratz can i ask how you set them the first time to tow? ive seen a few different methods on here and im curious, we just bought a new fifth and got the airbags and hitch all thrown in the price, just would like to know the most effective way to set them for the initial run

The first time what I did was to inflate the bags until my truck was level or close to level and the RV level. Then noted the inflation. It was 25-35 psi. No I run it about the same unless I need a stiffer ride due to road conditions. I have run it as much as 50 psi and as little as 20 psi again depending on road conditions. The beauty of having a remote controller for it is I can adjust each side differently on the fly (while driving). So there have been times when I have needed to change it by increasing or decreasing due to changing road conditions.

The first time what I did was to inflate the bags until my truck was level or close to level and the RV level. Then noted the inflation. It was 25-35 psi. No I run it about the same unless I need a stiffer ride due to road conditions. I have run it as much as 50 psi and as little as 20 psi again depending on road conditions. The beauty of having a remote controller for it is I can adjust each side differently on the fly (while driving). So there have been times when I have needed to change it by increasing or decreasing due to changing road conditions.
ok awesome thanks, we do have the on board compressor with digital control, but it only inflates or deflates both at the same time, we didnt get the optional individual controls

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
ok awesome thanks, we do have the on board compressor with digital control, but it only inflates or deflates both at the same time, we didnt get the optional individual controls

At least with the onboard compressor you should be able to add or subtract air while moving if necessary. We had that on our previous tow vehicle and could change air pressure while moving. If you have the same setup what you do is add the air and then press the button above the air gauge (if you have the dual gauges) on remove air to desired level.

Gary521

I had the Airlift on my old TV with the onboard control. It made a world of difference by improving the ride. When I purchased a new TV last year, I was concerned that it may need them also. Before I purchased the air bags, I took the Bighorn for about a 100 mile drive just to test what I had. I found that with this truck, I did not need them. I think that the TV makes a big difference as to what you have. Is it a short bed, long bed, Extended cab, Crew cab, what kind of shocks you have, 3/4 ton or 1 ton. There is not a one fit for all. Since the new tv, I have pulled for over 5000 miles and and all is OK.

Phatkd

Back in 2007 when I purchased my truck new, I had the dealership install a set of "Super Springs". I have towed and hauled many times with them, and I really liked how they reduced body roll when we had our Northern Lite truck camper. I also haul 250 gallons of water for our cistern every week and they really improve the body roll or lack there of. I have never used the airbags,..but 2 thumbs up for super springs!

http://www.supersprings.com/supersprings_overview_general.asp

Gary521

I have a 2012 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax with the Offroad suspension. I also have the 5th Airborne pinbox. A friend of mine has a 2011 Ford 350 Crewcab with the camper suspension Super Duty and He does not need the Airbags either.

DuaneG

Sorry for keeping this post going but there is a lot of experienced users that should be able to help me.

I bought the Timbrens for my 2008 Chevy 2500HD TD about 6 months ago. A respected trailer repair shop told me Timbrens worked just as good as air bags, and cost a lot less. I replaced my shocks at the same time and had approx 90,000 miles on the truck when they were added.

They kept my truck level and seemed pretty stable while towing, but was a little bumpy without the fifth wheel attached.

I recently bought new tires which were mud terrrain Toyos. They have more traction and are bulkier than my previous tires. This has caused more sway in my truck from side to side while on the freeway. Almost like riding on marshmallows. It has also increased the overall truck bounce which is now unbearable. I am stuck with these tires and need them for awhile because I have been using them in snow and mud and love the traction (will probably not buy them again when they wear out).

I am convinced airbags will help, but would like to know if the airbags will reduce bounce and sway or should I add something else in addition to the airbags (springs, diff shocks, or something else).

The last trip was so bad my back hurt for days after we got back. So I will probably get the air bags with a compressor. If the air bag breaks is there something in there that will keep it from fully collapsing or will I just be stuck with a sagging or leaning truck. I think that's why the Timbrens we recommended in the first place.

I would say they might help stiffen the ride up a bit as to reduce sway.. i live in alberta canada and there is a TON of oilfield trucks and what not that use those tires, ive had them as well, as yes the traction is great, but they are HORRIBLE for freeway use, i did alot of freeway driving and they burned off in a year, the rubber is so soft they wear out like crazy!! i know my toyos were only c rated tires which were not recommded to handle alot of weight either
Sorry for keeping this post going but there is a lot of experienced users that should be able to help me.

I bought the Timbrens for my 2008 Chevy 2500HD TD about 6 months ago. A respected trailer repair shop told me Timbrens worked just as good as air bags, and cost a lot less. I replaced my shocks at the same time and had approx 90,000 miles on the truck when they were added.

They kept my truck level and seemed pretty stable while towing, but was a little bumpy without the fifth wheel attached.

I recently bought new tires which were mud terrrain Toyos. They have more traction and are bulkier than my previous tires. This has caused more sway in my truck from side to side while on the freeway. Almost like riding on marshmallows. It has also increased the overall truck bounce which is now unbearable. I am stuck with these tires and need them for awhile because I have been using them in snow and mud and love the traction (will probably not buy them again when they wear out).

I am convinced airbags will help, but would like to know if the airbags will reduce bounce and sway or should I add something else in addition to the airbags (springs, diff shocks, or something else).

The last trip was so bad my back hurt for days after we got back. So I will probably get the air bags with a compressor. If the air bag breaks is there something in there that will keep it from fully collapsing or will I just be stuck with a sagging or leaning truck. I think that's why the Timbrens we recommended in the first place.

DuaneG

These are E rated. I was thinking about getting a second set of highway tires and swapping out when not needed so the freeway use doesn't eat through the Toyos.

might not be a bad idea, i mean i loved my toyos too, but for the 1200$ (can$) they cose they sure werent worth it, back to your post though, i have the firestone ride rite air with compressor, towing wise it makes a world of difference for me
These are E rated. I was thinking about getting a second set of highway tires and swapping out when not needed so the freeway use doesn't eat through the Toyos.