Air bags or spring

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Re: Timbren Load Boosters

I have the Firestone air bags with the Air Lift remote on-board compressor. It works great and love it.

Mrsfish

For those of you with an on board compressor with your Firestone ride rites, which compressor did you use?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have the Air Lift compressor with the Firestone Air Bags. I have the remote wireless controller. Works great.

Snow

Update ,thanks everyone for all your info ,I went with the air lift 5000 and an onboard compressor 569.00$with a 100.00$ mail in rebate purchesed at sd truck springs great place to deal with .⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I know you already bought bags. But helper springs keep the load spread out over the axle giving the truck more stability while towing heavy vs air bags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Snow

Mattpopp can I still add the helper springs without taking off my air bags?? and will they affect the ride?? ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

Theresau

The most important thing is to get the truck's spring leaf pack up off the bottom support leaf. This way the spring will work the way it is supposed to. I run 30# in my air lift bags (weight taken when truck not attached to trailer). Truck and trailer set level when attached.

With this setup I fiind that when we go over bridges the leaf springs work as they are supposed to.

Joe

mattpopp

Trouble Maker

Air bags solve one problem but create two more issues. Bags are mounted inside of the frame rail. Which is a much narrower foot print then the leaf springs mounting location. That narrow foot print will translate to body roll over the axle. The more load you put on the air bags the less load that is seen on the leaf's. reducing the load on your leaf springs will hurt your stability, there is no if, ands, buts about it. Using helper springs keeps 100% of the load at the widest foot print possible and on your leaf's.

I have only felt the difference towing a RV. I never felt the difference between bags or helper springs with a gooseneck flat bed. It's probably due to the height of a RV.

porthole

Retired
Abut create two more issues.

I only see one in your answer.

No doubt though that the roll is increased. With my hybrid suspension I notice the roll quite a bit. But only backing out of my driveway unloaded, on an angle.
I've had it long enough that I don't notice the roll anymore. Either way, the rear air suspension I have is nto something I would do again.

porthole

Retired
Porthole so you wouldn't do the airbags again ???⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

Yes I would not hesitate to do straight airbags. Adding srpings is set to whatever load you make the spring pak. With the bags you can vary your load, more of an issue maybe with toy haulers.

I would not do the hydrid air ride that I currently have, especially in a DRW truck.

Two of us on the forum have this suspension in our trucks.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/29116-R4Tech-suspension-system-ordered?highlight=firestone+tech

It is pretty well documented here and on the Ford truck forums.

Snow

Good, you had me worried , I guess I didn't understand your last post , I did check out the R4Tech but didn't wasn't to sure about them so opted for the simple airlifts are the airlifts I have ok for what I'm pulling ??about 21000 lbs total the truck is leveled up nice now , I guess I should have done my homework before buying my 250 , I don't think my payload is to bad , but I guess I just worry about hurting my baby "truck" ford tough right ? ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I only see one in your answer.

No doubt though that the roll is increased. With my hybrid suspension I notice the roll quite a bit. But only backing out of my driveway unloaded, on an angle.
I've had it long enough that I don't notice the roll anymore. Either way, the rear air suspension I have is nto something I would do again.

Reducing carrying load on the factory leafs and body roll over the axle.

Sometimes you don't realize you have a issue until you remove it.

A rear sway bar is also a great add on. It made a huge improvement on my old Dodge.