Air Conditioner acting strange

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Guess I don't understand what all the fuss is about. We set our AC thermostat on a temperature. The AC fan comes on and about 10 seconds I hear the compressor come on. They both stay on until the set temperature is reached and then the AC (both fan and compressor) turn off. When the temperature warms up above the thermostat setting the cycle starts over again. Personally we like the noise of the ac at night as it helps drown out any traffic/train/airplane noise. BTW we keep the fan set on auto on both thermostats.

buddyboy

Guess I don't understand what all the fuss is about. We set our AC thermostat on a temperature. The AC fan comes on and about 10 seconds I hear the compressor come on. They both stay on until the set temperature is reached and then the AC (both fan and compressor) turn off. When the temperature warms up above the thermostat setting the cycle starts over again. Personally we like the noise of the ac at night as it helps drown out any traffic/train/airplane noise. BTW we keep the fan set on auto on both thermostats.

Same here. No different than what happens in our S&B.

danemayer

The Dometic Single Zone LCD Thermostat manual says:
Auto Fan
When auto fan is selected the fan speed will vary depending on the
difference between the temperature set-point and the room temperature.
In auto fan the compressor and fan cycle On and Off with the
thermostat.
When the difference is:
>5º The fan operates on HIGH
<4º The fan operates on LOW
When the difference between room temp and thermostat setting reaches 5 degrees, the fan switches from HIGH to LOW. On a hot day, the LOW fan setting may not keep up and the difference could go above 5 degrees, causing the an to switch from LOW to HIGH.

Under the right circumstances, it could go back and forth between HIGH and LOW pretty frequently.

To get a more constant operation, lower the thermostat set point 3 or 4 degrees. On a hot day this will keep the fan running on HIGH pretty continuously. When the A/C catches up and the coach starts getting cold, readjust the thermostat.

SOOO, I called the local dealer and they hadn't had any issues come in that would be similar to what many of us have had. I called a local mobile repair guy and he hadn't heard of any real issues either. I took the advice of some here. 1. I cleaned the filter. 2. I reset the thermostat. 3. I found that the partition between the return air vent and the air exhaust into the trailer had fallen over. This was allowing cold air to be drafted back into the return air vent to the condenser. I believe that the cold air going back to the condenser was causing a problem for the computer. I retaped the partition back in place, sealing it tight. The AC unit hasn't short cycled since. I hope this helps anyone that has had problems.

My 15K air conditioner has always acted kinda strange.
Seems like it only happens when it's been working hard late in the day.
It cools like it should but you can hear the fan shut off for maybe 5 seconds and then come back on .
As this happens the compresser never shuts down. Sometimes the fan sounds like it speeds up when it comes back on .
It may do this several times but when the outside temp cools down it will cycle like it should, off and then back on.
My dealer seems to think it's just working hard and nothing to worry about as its cooling like it should.
Anyone else experience anything like this?
One of these days I need to get a second air installed.

We just bought a 2016 Big Country and it does the same thing.

IronJ

It's supposed to switch from low fan to high fan when within a few degrees of set temp....even says so in the manual....it is kinda annoying though. .I've noticed when it's real hot out and I'm running all 3 a/c units it switches a lot...
Mine are all ducted together tho so that may be part of the issue....??

There should In reality be no harm to the compressor if the fan shuts down for 2-3 seconds...the off on is kinda annoying. ..especially in the bedroom. ...and even then low fan vs high fan isn't a whole lot of difference.

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish