Air conditioner cycling???

remoandiris

I have 2 air cons in my 2014 Cyclone 4000. 13K in the bedroom and 15K in the livingroom. Both are ducted.

There are times when the compressor on the unit in the livingroom cycles off for a few seconds then comes back on. This happens whether blowing into the ducts or blowing directly into the livingroom (via the manual plastic slide on the unit).

Anyone know if this is by design or if there is something amiss? Is it possible the unit is overworking and needs the compressor to cycle off for those few seconds? I have not noticed this happening with the bedroom unit.

Bill

Theresau

Ours does that too when in automatic. Appears that itis confused as to whether to shut off, go to low, or go to high. Will do it a couple of times and then decide to go to low or high steadily.

It's only done it a couple of times.

I haven't noted it in the bedroom unit either.

(We just had both ACs replaced - it did this before too...with the older models - Brisk Air - I assume it is the "brain" that is controlling this.)

I have 2 air cons in my 2014 Cyclone 4000. 13K in the bedroom and 15K in the livingroom. Both are ducted.

There are times when the compressor on the unit in the livingroom cycles off for a few seconds then comes back on. This happens whether blowing into the ducts or blowing directly into the livingroom (via the manual plastic slide on the unit).

Anyone know if this is by design or if there is something amiss? Is it possible the unit is overworking and needs the compressor to cycle off for those few seconds? I have not noticed this happening with the bedroom unit.

Bill

Rickhansen

The "brains" aren't typically that smart. I would guess that it may be the ice sensor on the leaving side of the evaporator coil. When it starts to sense that the coil is icing up, it shuts the compressor off and leaves the fan running to de-ice it. After a minute or two, as the coil temperature has warmed up and the ice melted, the compressor will re-start. It shouldn't off and back on any quicker than that, though.

Have a look at the Heating and Cooling Guide in the manuals area of the website. It's written by owners for owners. It's a good read.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As Rick stated, it is probably a normal condition. It all depends on how humid it is, the outside temp and fan speed. Your vehicle A/C compressor will do the same thing if the evaporator core starts icing up.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
When mine goes into that mode, I put it on either high or low, instead of auto and let it run for a while. Then back to auto and it is fine.
I have noticed it experiences that symptom when temp and humidity seem to be at a certain point simultaneously. Trace

Last edited:

4ever

I have the heat pump option on my unit and it will do the same thing in air or heat pump setting. Does not do it all the time but when it does it drives you crazy. On & off every few seconds. I tried resetting the unit however, it will still do it.