Air leakage in Dometic 4 door fridge.

dbbls59

Does any body else have excessive moisture in the Dometic 4 door refrigerator? There is so much moisture build up in ours that the vegetable drawer at the right in the bottom will get 1/2 inch of water in it on a three day weekend. The tray drain is open because I have poured water into it and it drains outside. This happens even with the water turned off going to the ice maker. Condensation will cover the back wall of the fridge and also on the door flap. The dealer has addressed this twice and replaced the door flap. While at the Goshen Rally, the Dometic representative looked at and replaced the door seals and the flapper guide. It is back to the dealers now and I told them I want a new fridge. Dometic wants them to check all the things again, such as the drain and ice maker. This unit has been in service 13 months and has had this problem from day one. Water will run out the front of the refrigerator, down the cabinet below it and across the floor. I am ready for a Norcold.

danemayer

Hi dbbls59,

The first question I'd ask is how is the unit cooling. If the freezer is around zero (F) and the refrigerator is at 37 or lower (F), it seems unlikely that it would be from air infiltration. The first symptom from an air leak is the refrigerator temp goes into the mid to upper 40s. If that's not happening, my first thought would be a drain problem, especially if you've turned off the water supply line to the icemaker.

That leads me to the second question. Is there water accumulating in the drainage tray below the cooling fins in the frig compartment? Since you've checked to make sure it drains, that seems unlikely that you would have missed water pooling there.

That gets me to the third question. Is the drainage tray leaking? Try plugging the drain hose on the outside and filling the tray to see if it holds water.

dbbls59

Hi Dan. The fridge cools OK, temps will generally be in the mid to high 30's, occasionally it will get in the 40's. No, water does not accumulate in the drainage tray. There will be condensation on the lower part of the tray as well as on the wall below the tray. I have not plugged the drain to see if the tray leaked. It is at the dealers now so I'll not be able to check it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I found a bunch of water pooling at the bottom of our refrigerator. What I discovered is that when my wife packed the box, and I mean packed, there were things up against the fins.
This caused the condensate on the fins to be diverted down the items that were against the fins rather than drip into the drip tray.
There was water on the bottom and in the rotter drawers, so it's worth checking out.

Peace
Dave

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I found a bunch of water pooling at the bottom of our refrigerator. What I discovered is that when my wife packed the box, and I mean packed, there were things up against the fins.
This caused the condensate on the fins to be diverted down the items that were against the fins rather than drip into the drip tray.
There was water on the bottom and in the rotter drawers , so it's worth checking out.

Peace
Dave

That's funny - I have the same feeling about ours. Maybe my DW can address that issue...:rolleyes: