Air suspension

z06

Anyone have air suspension on their trailer or truck. There seems to be one old tread and not much more info. Would like to know who manufactured your kit if you have one? Only one I have found so far is Trailer flex out of Canada. Trying to decide weather to use that or just build entire system myself. Surprised that it is not more popular considering poor quality of current suspension on trailers.

csms

I put firestone air bags on my truck over a year ago. works well to level truck and trailer out. does give a little extra bounce to truck without trailer.

z06

I put firestone air bags on my truck over a year ago. works well to level truck and trailer out. does give a little extra bounce to truck without trailer.

i have air bags on truck now but considering replacing rear suspension with all air for the self leveling under all load conditions.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Here are a couple of links to some articles that were in Trailer Life Magazine.
Trailer suspension [LINK].
Truck suspension [LINK].

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

Porthole has Firestone air suspension on his truck but they quit making it. Kelermen is another manufacturer and has been around for a long time.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have the Firestone air bags with the Air Lift wireless controller. Would not want to tow without them.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Anyone have air suspension on their trailer or truck. There seems to be one old tread and not much more info. Would like to know who manufactured your kit if you have one? Only one I have found so far is Trailer flex out of Canada. Trying to decide weather to use that or just build entire system myself. Surprised that it is not more popular considering poor quality of current suspension on trailers.

I just got but have not installed yet the Timbren DR3500CA Suspension Enhancement System for my RAM 3500. My truck and trailer are very level so do not need the adjustment. I just wanted to make sure the leaf springs do not sag as the trunk gets older hauling a 18,000 lbs trailer. Besides no air hoses the Timbren system does not effect the truck suspension when it is not hauling the RV. Check out the website.

avvidclif

I think the OP is asking about air suspension, not add on airbags or other suspensions aids. Look at a big rig's rear suspension. No springs, airbags only.

z06

I think the OP is asking about air suspension, not add on airbags or other suspensions aids. Look at a big rig's rear suspension. No springs, airbags only.

Correct. My research has turned up Auto Flex and Trailer Flex out of Canada. There is a sticky on here from 2011 with a Lippert install ,but no current info. Was curious if anyone had air suspension without leaf springs. Seems like a very good way to go.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
This is the thread that z06 is referencing. At the time I had the air suspension installation my previous trailer, Tailer-Flex was in the process of licensing Lippert to sell the air suspension. The system that was installed on my previous trailer was one of the first that Lippert manufactured, I believe the licensing agreement did do work out for either company. In that thread I listed 3 links to companies that were manufacturing air suspensions for towable Rv's.

On my current trailer I installed Mor-Ryde IS and IMO it provides a better ride that the air suspension system.

z06

This is the thread that z06 is referencing. At the time I had the air suspension installation my previous trailer, Tailer-Flex was in the process of licensing Lippert to sell the air suspension. The system that was installed on my previous trailer was one of the first that Lippert manufactured, I believe the licensing agreement did do work out for either company. In that thread I listed 3 links to companies that were manufacturing air suspensions for towable Rv's.

On my current trailer I installed Mor-Ryde IS and IMO it provides a better ride that the air suspension system.

Do you attribute the better ride to the independent wheel travel or difference between rubber springs and air bags?

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Do you attribute the better ride to the independent wheel travel or difference between rubber springs and air bags?

First I would say the independent wheel travel is the the number one reason and then my guess is the rubber springs do a better job of damping than the air springs. Both suspensions do have shocks.