Airbag Suspension kit for leveling side to side?

MitchG36

Has anyone ever heard of installing an Airbag suspension kit between the leaf springs/axle and frame to level the 5th wheel side to side? It seems to me that one could just leave the bags near empty while towing and the once parked, simply inflate the low side to level the coach side to side. For those of us without the fancy autolevel systems, driving up on blocks is a pain!! This method would push the frame and axles apart (ie: removing the spring load), but as long as you only need a few inches of leveling it should be okay right? Anyone know the fatal flaw I am missing here? Help/suggestions

GOTTOYS

You would need 2 bags per side if you have tandem axles. There is a very limited amount of spring travel in a trailer in many cases only a couple inches. Looks to me like you would only get 2-3" of adjustment. Not a bad idea but I don't know how practical it would be...Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looking at the photos of my suspension, I question having enough room to mount a suitable air bag there. You would need one with a lift capacity of at least 3000 lbs. on each axle, at both ends. Besides the air bag, you need a place to mount a reaction plate for it to push against on the axle and to protect it from puncture.

MitchG36

Looking at the photos of my suspension, I question having enough room to mount a suitable air bag there. You would need one with a lift capacity of at least 3000 lbs. on each axle, at both ends. Besides the air bag, you need a place to mount a reaction plate for it to push against on the axle and to protect it from puncture.

Good point John. I will have to look at mine and measure the travel. I have rarely needed much more than 2-3 inches of lift for leveling,... but you are right in that it may be a lot of work for not much bang. Thanks for the input.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Good point John. I will have to look at mine and measure the travel. I have rarely needed much more than 2-3 inches of lift for leveling,... but you are right in that it may be a lot of work for not much bang. Thanks for the input.

Other than putting air bags under the tires (I've actually seen it), the least expensive way I know of to get around putting lumber under the tires would be the Ground Control system. Four independent electric jacks capable of lifting the rig off the tires. But that will run you about $3K, even if you DIY. I have it on my BH and am very happy with it.

Here's the link to making your own airbags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x19Wsx2OSz8