Airbags for truck rear suspension

EOneal59

Re: Airbags

Placed Firestone air bags on my 2006 Ram 2500 four years ago. Make the ride much better and handles better

LBR

One may not think these are a benefit, I venture to say this is a myth that they’re not needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup.....they are a benefit for add on helpers on all little 3 series and smaller light duty pickups.

On our 2003 5 series medium duty Truck, they are the only rear suspension it has, and have weathered 16 years of use and abuse..….those Firestone bags have been bulletproof!!

When Truck was new, the leaf springs were tossed in the recycling bin and it was equipped with just Firestone bags and shocks in the rear. A dump switch will drop the rear about 10", then the compressor will fill them up to raise to the preset level. Pretty cool technology for "back then"

Am not privy to how Airlift bags hold up, but seems no one has had any complaints about them in my readings.

Am now thinking of going with the Airlift 7500# bags/compressor kit on our 2017 4 series Ford right now.....if they also hold up for 16 years, then I'll let everyone here know they are both comparable airbags.

CarterKraft

Anyone use air bags on a '18 F350 DRW yet? A friend who camped with us last week put a set on his 18 and both bags rubbed the tires and blew in 100 miles. Riderite said if the frame to tire clearance was less than 7.5" they wouldn't work. He has a stock truck, tires and all only 1 week old, what would change from 17-18?

Air lift states on there website their bags won't fit 18 DRW trucks, any ideas?

Last edited:
Go with firestone. They’re tough and take one **** of a load. Definitely improved the ride while hauling our Heartland Elkridge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Todster

I’ve used torque brand airbags. And are 100% satisfied with them. If you have a lifted truck try using daystar airbag cups to prevent the unloaded jarring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Squirlee

Firestone Ride Rite with on board compressor and cab control. I pump them up when the road has those annoying dips and deflate them when the road is choppy.

jnbhobe

I put the Torque air bags on this new truck $250 delivered, the same as Firestone. Hope to be able to try them out in the next couple of months.

CarterKraft

You guys with '18+ 350 DRW wheel trucks and air bags need to really watch them.
They will rub the inside of the inner tire and pop in 60 miles.

My buddy found out the hard way and Ride Rite says if the frame to tire distance is less than 7.5" they will rub.
He was almost exactly 7.5" depending on where the tape was held.

I noticed Air Lift says there bags won't fit '18 DRW trucks, no idea why.

As far as I can tell the Torque bags are knock offs of Firestone/RideRite so I would take head on them as well.