Towing vehicle for Heartland Pioneer RD210

esglobb

I have a 2021 Heartland pioneer RD210. I am in the market for a tow vehicle. When the dealership delivered, the hauler said he would recommend an Ford F250/Ram 2500 over a Ford F150/ Ram 1500. However shopping at the truck dealerships all the sales guys seemed think this would be way over kill. My question is what is everyone using as their tow vehicle?

david-steph2018

You need to know how much the RV weighs, what type of driving are you going to do when traveling. The area you are going to travel in/to while towing.
Important thing, a salesman will say anything to sell a vehicle, so if they have more 150/1500 on the lot, they will try to push one of these.
Get your numbers before making a decision.

esglobb

Thanks for the reply david-steph2018. I guess I was more wondering what other RD210 owners are using and how that's working out for them. Some real life experience. On paper the numbers work to tow my rv with an F150, but that doesn't always correlate to the real thing.

jerryjay11

Sure the 150, be it Ford, Chevy, or whatever, will pull it, but will it stop it? I run a Silverado 2500 with my RL250 and still feel the trailer when breaking, but at least I know that I will stop. Thanks to the heavier duty brakes on the 2500.

Comis1

I would buy at least a 2500HD diesel. That way you’ve got some room to upgrade the RV. Without having to replace the tow vehicle as well. You’ll be much happier in the long run. I wouldn’t tow with a 1/2 ton. They’re just too weak.