Advice on Towing Vehicle

cdensomnia

Not sure if this is a rumor or what but I have heard from multiple reputable sources that the pulling power of a semi can crack the frame on our trailers. The story I get is that the frames were not designed to put up with all that torque semis have. I don't doubt that thing could tow that trailer anywhere! ;)

My choice was a Ford F350 Dually. I have had 2 different 6.7's and they are beasts. Tons of power! My only honest complaint and I am pretty sure this is a complaint from all the 1 ton DRW is that ,at least with the larger trailers like a Cyclone 4200, you need airbags or new spring pack to get the nose of the truck level.

Bob

I HIGHLY recommend going to a HDT. I have a Road Warrior 420 (same as your Cyclone). I bought a 2015 Ford F350. I loved it but our rigs are too big. Pulling, no problem but we are pretty much at max and stopping in an emergency situation the camper will win every time. So I went to a 2013 Volvo 730. I don't need a CDL and it's the same or even less than the new Fords. Let me tell you, I don't even feel my camper back there and the the distance I can go is incredible. Also being up high is awesome as well as the brakes.If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer.
472047b5e6ea0275d923d72b1ff86590.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

kjm1970

Not sure if this is a rumor or what but I have heard from multiple reputable sources that the pulling power of a semi can crack the frame on our trailers. The story I get is that the frames were not designed to put up with all that torque semis have. I don't doubt that thing could tow that trailer anywhere! ;)

My choice was a Ford F350 Dually. I have had 2 different 6.7's and they are beasts. Tons of power! My only honest complaint and I am pretty sure this is a complaint from all the 1 ton DRW is that ,at least with the larger trailers like a Cyclone 4200, you need airbags or new spring pack to get the nose of the truck level.

Bob

Actually2.

- - - Updated - - -

Bob

Actually, it is the opposite. My hitch is the ET Hitch Sr which is equipped with air bags (4) to prevent chocking and to absorb the road on top of the air suspension on the rig itself. With a standard 1 ton and the hitch in the bed, the frame of the camper takes all of the abuse. The torque I know is substantially more on the semi but take off is not whole shots, it is as smooth as it can be. If anything, it is less stressful on the camper.

MP_CS

I HIGHLY recommend going to a HDT. I have a Road Warrior 420 (same as your Cyclone). I bought a 2015 Ford F350. I loved it but our rigs are too big. Pulling, no problem but we are pretty much at max and stopping in an emergency situation the camper will win every time. So I went to a 2013 Volvo 730. I don't need a CDL and it's the same or even less than the new Fords. Let me tell you, I don't even feel my camper back there and the the distance I can go is incredible. Also being up high is awesome as well as the brakes.If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer.
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about where you frequent but there isn't a campground ive been to that you'd be able to get that big boy in, lol... Maintenance and registration costs alone would be so far outa a normal working mans budget to render that idea null.

SNOKING

Air bags to level a brand new truck?

Check out a RAM 3500 duallie, Aisin Tranny, 4x4, rear air suspension, and 4.10 gears. Chris

kjm1970

I'm not sure about where you frequent but there isn't a campground ive been to that you'd be able to get that big boy in, lol... Maintenance and registration costs alone would be so far outa a normal working mans budget to render that idea null.
I haven't had too much of a problem and have gotten into some pretty tight spots. My truck actually has a better turning radius than any 1 ton. I get it with maintenance and registration but if you buy one of these rigs and retire it where our campers don't stress them at all it really isn't that big a deal. While the 1 tons can surely pull them without issue, stopping is another thing. I almost killed someone last year in my dually, enough for me to say that if there were any type of inclement weather it would have been over. The safety aspect is incomparable. Your 20,000 lb camper will ALWAYS win in an emergency over a 10,000 lb dually

Last edited by a moderator:

MP_CS

I'm not sure about where you frequent but there isn't a campground ive been to that you'd be able to get that big boy in, lol... Maintenance and registration costs alone would be so far outa a normal working mans budget to render that idea null.[/QUO I haven't had too much of a problem and have gotten into some pretty tight spots. My truck actually has a better turning radius than any 1 ton. I get it with maintenance and registration but if you buy one of these rigs and retire it where our campers don't stress them at all it really isn't that big a deal. While the 1 tons can surely pull them without issue, stopping is another thing. I almost killed someone last year in my dually, enough for me to say that if there were any type of inclement weather it would have been over. The safety aspect is incomparable. Your 20,000 lb camper will ALWAYS win in an emergency over a 10,000 lb dually

Any particular reason you went with a fullsize rather than an mdt? although i would imagine the fullsize tractors are alot cheaper to buy used than a four door MDT.

I'm towing a 4250 with my F350DRW and it does phenomenal. As stated at 500 miles I get a DEF warning and the fill is next to the diesel fill. This is my second 6.7 liter power stroke and I haven't had a single problem with 45k combined miles between the two. The super duty fifth wheel hitch is great. I have the BW companion and installation and removal takes no time at all and when it is out I have full use of my bed without rails. The factory hitch didn't interfere at all with the firestone airbags I installed and those required zero drilling. The upfitter switch are great and not only powers my airbag compressor but also the Rough Country led lights mounted in my grill. Very sleek look and the additional light is great when on dark mountain roads.

I didn't test drive a Chevy/GMC because of the lack of factory fifth wheel hitch options and I was not impressed at all with the dodge I test drove. Drive all three and choose and I think you'll appreciate the Super Duty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronJ

Man i really considered an mdt when i went dually...i mean REALLY!!!

My issues were we would still need a car to drive when we got there and the usability of an mdt/hdt other than towing the 420..prettt funny looking and a waste to tow a flat trailer or boat..lol

The 420 even at max cap is within the ratings for a 2015 350...especially a tow boss with 430....(but on the max end)..

In the end it was WAY more practical and WAY cheaper to add a 65gal titan , trailer discs, and soon a big brake kit to the ford...

Id put that combo stopping as fast or faster than any hdt with stock trailer brakes..

Im not knocking the hdt...just there really are a lot of pros and cons either way...

Out of curiosity what do you use for transportation when you get to your destination??. Ive seen the smart cars on the back...thats always a neat setup...even saw a couple with the smart car in garage of th!! Lol

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

kjm1970

Man i really considered an mdt when i went dually...i mean REALLY!!!

My issues were we would still need a car to drive when we got there and the usability of an mdt/hdt other than towing the 420..prettt funny looking and a waste to tow a flat trailer or boat..lol

The 420 even at max cap is within the ratings for a 2015 350...especially a tow boss with 430....(but on the max end)..

In the end it was WAY more practical and WAY cheaper to add a 65gal titan , trailer discs, and soon a big brake kit to the ford...

Id put that combo stopping as fast or faster than any hdt with stock trailer brakes..

Im not knocking the hdt...just there really are a lot of pros and cons either way...

Out of curiosity what do you use for transportation when you get to your destination??. Ive seen the smart cars on the back...thats always a neat setup...even saw a couple with the smart car in garage of th!! Lol

There are pros and cons of course, perhaps I just had the Sh*t scared out of me enough to get the HDT. When we go, we bring a Smart car and golf cart. On long trips the HDT is just simply awesome with the two bunks fridge and the range. Just can't beat it. I would think a 65 gallon tank on the dually would put you real close on gvwr. At 14k gvwr nowadays you have the truck at (2017) 7865 plus 904lbs in fuel (with 65 gal aux and 48 gallon factory) 150lbs for weight of hitch, 4000lb pin weight apprx on 4200, 180lbs for driver, 150 for passenger and (2) 100lb passengers in back seat you are at close to 13,500. That is 97% capacity WITHOUT an emergency situation. That is what scared me into the HDT. I loved my F350 but in my honest opinion it isn't enough for these big 3 axle toy haulers. Pulling, no problem. Any upgrade you do the camper will still outweigh and therefore dictate where you go in an emergency.

IronJ

6 big titan disc stoppers on the trailer will stop the truck and easily lock up the trailer tires ...so that negates a lot of the push...the stock em drums leave a LOT to be desired..

The titan tank is 65 gal total...it replaces the factory..

My bro in law has an mdt for his toy hauler...but i guess he dont tow enough/far enough to really reap any benefits ...he just complains about costs...both registration and maintenance..

I will say it looks sweet!!

IronJ

What weights do you normally see wirth your 420?..

Loaded for our last trip pretty heavy in the th area we were 19870lbs and and pin was 3577...i only keep 1/4 - 1/2 tank of fresh on board....just enough to flush n make ice...lol

Oh and as for cdl i dont know your state but tx just made it so even with my 350 i need a non commercial class a...its not a cdl as you cannot tow for profit, but its the same basic endorsement and testing procedure....

mlpeloquin

While the 1 tons can surely pull them without issue, stopping is another thing. I almost killed someone last year in my dually, enough for me to say that if there were any type of inclement weather it would have been over. The safety aspect is incomparable. Your 20,000 lb camper will ALWAYS win in an emergency over a 10,000 lb dually

That is why my fifth wheel now has disk brakes. I really can stop and do not want to tow without them.

firemailwv

@kjm1970 do you have any pics with the trailer hooked up to the truck? Maybe up close pics of the hitch setup? In the photo above the pin looks to really far back on the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crors7

I just bought a 17 F350 drw 4x4, the difference between it and the 16 I had is night and day, 4.10 gears, 48gal tank, actual def gauge (which makes no difference to me), 925 ft lbs, and rides better than most cars not like a tank, and it has a 40k# combined rating.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

wdk450

What weights do you normally see wirth your 420?..
. . . . . . .
Oh and as for cdl i dont know your state but tx just made it so even with my 350 i need a non commercial class a...its not a cdl as you cannot tow for profit, but its the same basic endorsement and testing procedure....

I wonder if the Texas non commercial class A requirement for large 5th wheels will be pretty much universally ignored like it is in California?

ramdually4100king

I wonder if the Texas non commercial class A requirement for large 5th wheels will be pretty much universally ignored like it is in California?

I was pulled over in CA three years ago for going over 55 while towing. And I seen two fifth wheels pulled over going east on the 8 in south CA yesterday. I don't think CA ignores it as much as you think.

IronJ

I got pulled over once already...i got a warning for not having the non cdl a....i played dumb and the dps guy seemed more interested in my ccl and what weapons i had in truck as when he asked i said 3 handguns and an ar15....lol...

wdk450

I was pulled over in CA three years ago for going over 55 while towing. And I seen two fifth wheels pulled over going east on the 8 in south CA yesterday. I don't think CA ignores it as much as you think.

I ALWAYS tow at Max 55 mph using my cruise control as much as possible, in and out of California.

I have gone through all of the threads here on the Non Commercial Class A license in California. My biggest concern is getting to the test legally. You MUST have a legally licensed NCA or better driver drive you to the test. I have contacted RV driving schools, RV transporters, and other local RVers about this with no success. I have heard that your rig could be confiscated if you arrive at the test illegally.

2 years ago I went to the Sacramento Area Escapees monthly meeting and brought up the question of the NonCommercial Class A license to the 5th wheel owners there, about 10 couples. No one had the license, and knew of anyone who did.

BTW, I came East on I-8 out of San Diego on Monday.

At TT Oakzanita Springs.