New Tow Vehicle advice requested

alexb2000

Good Morning all -

First off please let me thank you all for your valuable insight and opinions ( those are the same ). this weekend I pulled the trigger on a 2014 Silvarado 3500 dually wit the 3.73 rear end - flew to Nashville TN to acquire it on Saturday am and drove home. only 60K and had not been used to tow ( although it has the tow prep ). No 5th Wheel prep so I am starting with a clean slate so to speak...

Truck had 60K miles and had no accident reports - although it appears it did have some fender damage that was replaced by the dealer. it was a southern truck and does not have any undercoating or bed liner so those will be done as the first step in making this a New England Truck.

Can not wait to get a hitch and tow with it - I know this will be a game changer as far as comfort on the road is concerned.

Driving back from Nashville I got 18mpg with @75mph average

so that is a few less than the 2500 so I expect that towing will follow and I will get around 12mpg or so... where I was getting 13 or 14...

Kevin

View attachment 51530

First congratulations on a beautiful truck. I also had a 2004 LLY 2500 that got amazing mileage (empty 20 @ 75mph). The newest ones in my experience (and now yours) come close even with all the new emissions AND you get a lot more power and a 6 speed vs. 5. Depending on the trailer 12 is probably very possible.

Keep us posted on all your mods and enjoy.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Good Morning all -

First off please let me thank you all for your valuable insight and opinions ( those are the same ). this weekend I pulled the trigger on a 2014 Silvarado 3500 dually wit the 3.73 rear end - flew to Nashville TN to acquire it on Saturday am and drove home. only 60K and had not been used to tow ( although it has the tow prep ). No 5th Wheel prep so I am starting with a clean slate so to speak...

Truck had 60K miles and had no accident reports - although it appears it did have some fender damage that was replaced by the dealer. it was a southern truck and does not have any undercoating or bed liner so those will be done as the first step in making this a New England Truck.

Can not wait to get a hitch and tow with it - I know this will be a game changer as far as comfort on the road is concerned.

Driving back from Nashville I got 18mpg with @75mph average

so that is a few less than the 2500 so I expect that towing will follow and I will get around 12mpg or so... where I was getting 13 or 14...

Kevin

View attachment 51530

Looks great! You will love those running boards -- giving you access to the hitch easier. Does it have the B&W turnover ball? If so getting the Companion 5ver hitch is a great and easy choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

Never mind. The pics were not coming up when I originally logged on.

Looks great!!

And here I was thinking you were talking about the MPG and I was thinking what do you want pics of his log book. Ha ha ha LOL ;)

Gaffer

We tow our BH3575el 16K with a 2015 RAM 3500 SRW 4x4 Diesel with Aisin tranny. All RAM 2500/3500 SRW trucks have the 3.42 gears. With the Aisin's lower 1st and 2nd gear it is a great combination. Chris

Hey Chris, I was wondering if you experience any "hunting" for gears between 5th and 6th?

EWG

I am a future Big Horn owner. As a pilot I am very careful about weights. First, every one needs to be looking at your max gross weights not dry weights on your trailer. On your TV you need to look at all of the foot notes. Example, Ford F350 SRW Super Duty says 20,000 lbs towing. But foot note says 5th wheel max is 18,000 lbs. F350 DRW Super Duty says 31,800. Foot note says 5th wheel is 27,500 lbs. Ok, so at 16,000 lbs gross wt for a 3575EL either one will tow. A F250 under certain configurations will just make it. I went to a dealer lot and looked up the payload information on the door. This is how the truck comes out of the factory with all of the options. A F350 SD SRW can carry 3155 lbs. That includes full fuel and a 150 lb driver. I am heavier than that. Add difference, now 3085 lbs. Not bad. So, 15% ideal load on a 5th wheel at 16,000 lbs is 2,400 lbs. That leaves 685 lbs. Wait, you have a hitch in the back of the truck. What 60 to 80 lbs. Now about 600 lbs for everything else, Passengers, dogs, snacks wood, bikes, etc. Not much room for error. A real world 20% is 3,100 lbs. Too heavy. A F350 SD DRW, has a 5319 lb payload. With the above max conditions you still have 2,000 lbs to put in the truck if you have the 14,000 lb GVW option. I am not a Dually guy but the numbers speak for them selves. Max numbers are misleading.

As a second thought. Most SRW trucks are short beds. All DRW are long beds. I am told the longer the truck the better the ride.

Also, just because it will pull it, doesn't mean it will tow it. Know the real numbers. Have things weighed.

alexb2000

I am a future Big Horn owner. As a pilot I am very careful about weights. First, every one needs to be looking at your max gross weights not dry weights on your trailer. On your TV you need to look at all of the foot notes. Example, Ford F350 SRW Super Duty says 20,000 lbs towing. But foot note says 5th wheel max is 18,000 lbs. F350 DRW Super Duty says 31,800. Foot note says 5th wheel is 27,500 lbs. Ok, so at 16,000 lbs gross wt for a 3575EL either one will tow. A F250 under certain configurations will just make it. I went to a dealer lot and looked up the payload information on the door. This is how the truck comes out of the factory with all of the options. A F350 SD SRW can carry 3155 lbs. That includes full fuel and a 150 lb driver. I am heavier than that. Add difference, now 3085 lbs. Not bad. So, 15% ideal load on a 5th wheel at 16,000 lbs is 2,400 lbs. That leaves 685 lbs. Wait, you have a hitch in the back of the truck. What 60 to 80 lbs. Now about 600 lbs for everything else, Passengers, dogs, snacks wood, bikes, etc. Not much room for error. A real world 20% is 3,100 lbs. Too heavy. A F350 SD DRW, has a 5319 lb payload. With the above max conditions you still have 2,000 lbs to put in the truck if you have the 14,000 lb GVW option. I am not a Dually guy but the numbers speak for them selves. Max numbers are misleading.

As a second thought. Most SRW trucks are short beds. All DRW are long beds. I am told the longer the truck the better the ride.

Also, just because it will pull it, doesn't mean it will tow it. Know the real numbers. Have things weighed.

From another pilot let me add my welcome. Keep in mind that placarded weights on a truck or trailer are not purely derived from engineering data. Some states charge registration, tolls, and enforce commercial weight limits by capacity. In Texas for example an empty dually pulling an empty gooseneck flatbed can and do get tickets if the placard max gross weight of the truck and trailer exceed 26K and you are not licensed for commercial operations. Clearly incentive not to placard a high gross on a F350 dually since most are not driven by commercial drivers even if the truck can handle it. My point is that we should all consider our equipment carefully and keep safety in mind, but like the FAA keeping the 170 per passenger standard, there are other forces at work and the manufacturers are trying to please all of their class 2 and 3 truck customers.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Wait, you have a hitch in the back of the truck. What 60 to 80 lbs.

Unless you have an Anderson hitch I think you'll find most 5th-wheel hitches are in the 200-300 pound range.

I have a Reese 16K slider hitch, and when I tried to pick it up . . . I almost blew a nad! :eek:

EWG

Your right. I took a wild guess on hitch weight since some can be removed easily, more or less. Again, that weight needs to be taken off the useful load. It could be just you and the dog going. :D

danemayer

Not true in my case, my F250 short bed rides way better than my dually. ;)

I think his comment about riding better might have been about a more stable towing experience. Without the trailer attached, your short bed probably does ride more comfortably.

dykesj11

Not sure the length of the bed is as significant as the suspensions. As Dan mentions, without trailer, 3/4 tons (F250, 2500s) will always ride better than 1 ton DRWs (F350/F450, 3500s) which have significantly stiffer suspensions. However, I would guess with heavy trailers attached, the DRWs might provide a better ride given the the greater inertia of mass and suspension vs trailer motion (chucking, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Hitch is installed and we are ready to tow ( at least I thought I was ) untill I hooked up and found out that my GM Brake Controller does not work with Electric/Hydraulic systems... and I need to add a new part... so we search for the part and it is on back order .... somewhat frustrated. yes... Still searching for someone with it in stock - west coast company says they do on the web site but need them to open to ask and order...

I leave on Friday for the shakeout weekend ....

3500.jpg

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Hitch is installed and we are ready to tow ( at least I thought I was ) untill I hooked up and found out that my GM Brake Controller does not work with Electric/Hydraulic systems... and I need to add a new part... so we search for the part and it is on back order .... somewhat frustrated. yes... Still searching for someone with it in stock - west coast company says they do on the web site but need them to open to ask and order...

View attachment 51899

Call Ron from Titan brakes. Trailer brake performance. I think I remember him saying something about that GM part. He might have one.

Bones

ok can you try connecting a light to the blue wire and white ground to get the brake controller to see you have a trailer connected. This might get you going until you get the part.

porthole

Retired

View attachment 51899

"If" I had a GMC, I would go right to the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 and not use the factory control.

Last edited: