New Tow Vehicle advice requested

jimandjean

So I'm a Ford guy and owner two dual wheel - 2000 F350 diesel w 3.73 and a 2016 F450 w 4.30s.

I did have it to do over again and nothing would get me to tow w a single rear wheel. I've lost a rear tire at highway speed w the fiver in there. Didn't know it until my next fuel stop. I've always appreciated that safety margin since.

On my 4 speed power stroke 2000 with a 7800lb curb weight I got 17-19 mpg w a light tube. 11-13 pulling a 12000lb trailer

On my 450 I get 15-16 mpg w a curb weight of 9800lbs. Pulling a 20,000 trailer I get 9-10.

I love my new ford - it's a real sweet ride and the steeper rear end is definitely the right move. No gear hunting at all. 6th gear all day long pulling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Hitch is installed and we are ready to tow ( at least I thought I was ) untill I hooked up and found out that my GM Brake Controller does not work with Electric/Hydraulic systems... and I need to add a new part... so we search for the part and it is on back order .... somewhat frustrated. yes... Still searching for someone with it in stock - west coast company says they do on the web site but need them to open to ask and order...

I leave on Friday for the shakeout weekend ....

View attachment 51899

Well - I talked with the installer of the brakes from last year - and he provided a work around that works - I have brakes! The part that I need will be here before I leave for my 4 week camp-a-thon starting on the 4th. Duane you may be right but I will see how the factory system works with the disc brakes - and if they have issues I will install the P3. ( I will most likely keep the P2 from the 2500 )

Kevin

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
"If" I had a GMC, I would go right to the Prodigy Prodigy P3 and not use the factory control.

Plus, I'll bet that any decent trailer hitch shop (not an RV dealership) could get you up and running in a couple of hours . . .

If you were here in Denver, I know at least three shops that would have you with working brakes by the end of the day tomorrow!

I have a 2009 2500HD Chevy Silverado, 6.6TD, Allison transmission, and crew cab. It tows our BH3055RL like its not even there, but we are upgrading to a BH3890SS. From what I can see, the new RV is still within the towing specs for my truck, but I could just be reading it all wrong. Anyone else tow a 5ver that size with a similar truck?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a 2009 2500HD Chevy Silverado, 6.6TD, Allison transmission, and crew cab. It tows our BH3055RL like its not even there, but we are upgrading to a BH3890SS. From what I can see, the new RV is still within the towing specs for my truck, but I could just be reading it all wrong. Anyone else tow a 5ver that size with a similar truck?

JohnAndAsiza,

There is a great resource to verify your tow vehicle capability. It was developed over many years by a Heartland Owner. It uses realistic formulas, and takes into consideration real-world usage. You have to do some of your own research to get the numbers it requests, but it does the calculations for you.

It will give you the information you desire that is accurate. Then you can determine if your town vehicle is safe. Do not rely on other people's opinions whether you are going to be safe or not.

The price of the app is minimal compared to its value. It can help you determine with certainty whether a new tow vehicle is in your future.

Www.rvtowcheck.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuclearcowboy

One thing to keep in mind regarding tow vehicles is there is a difference between being able to pull the unit and having the proper towing vehicle. One might be able to easily pull a unit, but are the rear axles and springs sufficiently rated for the unit and is your ability to adequately stop with the unit within the capacity of your towing unit - lots of thing to look at regarding this. Dan has a great suggestion - use tried and proven resources to see if you are OK.

SNOKING

PIN WEIGHT! That is the thing that most likely is going to be a problem. Heartland has not published a dry pin weight for that model, I would call Heartland and ask what the dry pin weight is going to be. We tow our 3575el that has a low 2435 dry pin weight and are pushing our 7K RAWR on our SRW RAM 3500.

If your truck has 17" tires (which I believe it does) that is an achilles heal, as they have a low weight rating around 3000 pounds which limits that rear axle to around 6000 pounds. You will also be well over the trucks GVWR(which many do without looking back)! We push our 11,700 GVWR close to its limit also.

BH3055RL specs. This is well matched to a 250/2500 truck.

Dry Weight (lbs/kg) 11076 / 5024.1
GVWR (lbs/kgs) 14000 / 6350.4
Hitch Weight (lbs/kgs) 1994 / 904.5

So I kinda think that model is in the dually category, but I think you know that, right? You could switch to 19.5" rims and tires, and bag it to handle the load, but that money would be better spent on a new TV.

Chris