Alison transmission

ChangingPlaces

Hi, We are looking at the idea of purchasing soon a new 2013 Chevy Silverado 3500HD. My question is the Allison automatic gearbox a good transmission. I know it is used in many vehicle types. Doe's it have any problems that I should be concerned about. Linked up to the Duramax motor sounds like a great match. I look forward to your comments and thank you in advance.
Cheers Paul

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have that tranny in my 2007 GMC. I change the filter and fluid per GMs maintenance schedule and have had no issues with it.
My research tells me it is bullet proof.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT A DOUBT. It is one of the main reasons we buy Chevy. Our 2001 8.1 liter, ALLISON, pulls like a champ. We have had the other brands, all good trucks, but we really like and trust the Allison. Very reliable. Good luck with your purchase.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT A DOUBT. It is one of the main reasons we buy Chevy. Our 2001 8.1 liter, ALLISON, pulls like a champ. We have had the other brands, all good trucks, but we really like and trust the Allison. Very reliable. Good luck with your purchase.
goldenbetty, you don't have my old truck do you??? It was a 2001 Chevy 2500HD with the same 8.1/Allison combo. I really loved that truck.

Attachments

• truck1.jpg
    truck1.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 56

jayc

Legendary Member
I had an Allison in a "not quite stock" GMC 2500 and it worked fine, with very few problems. My new Dodge truck has a 6 speed tranny with the same feature-tow haul mode- and so far, it has been fine. My truck is still stock-for now- so we'll see how it does long term. I have over 45,000 miles on it.

porthole

Retired
The Allison is a great trans. All the maintenance that is really needed is to change the filter and top off the fluid.
I did that twice a year, before and after the season.

The only drawback to the package is cold weather warmups. You are better off to start and drive.
The package does not allow trans fluid to flow when cold. This causes a bit of excessive pressure in the trans to cooler lines.
In this area GM saved a bit too much money and installed hose/line combos that are pricey and prone to leak (3 lines).

wdk450

My fantasy 1 ton truck would have a Cummins Diesel engine, Allison (2 l's) transmission, and a Ford frame and suspension.

sengli

We just bought a 2011 3500HD...chevy duramax dually, with the allison. Works fine, we only have 3K miles. Everyone seems to like that tranny, so its reputation is good.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The Allison trans is bullet proof. Thats why Ford and Dodge had GM (Allison) help them build their new transmissions.

Sumo

My Chevy Dmax with the Alison trans has over 200,000 miles. Stock Tranny slight mods on the Truck.

I love it.

Westwind

I bought a 2008 GMC Sierra Duramax/Allison - It was my first Diesel truck and I was nervous about it, best think I ever did, it has been reliable and a great tow vehicle, love the engine and transmission - would buy another in a heartbeat but would upgrade to a 1 ton, no one who tows a full profile FW which weighs in close to 10K should tow with a one ton, now question.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Hey, Ray. Nope. We special ordered right before Christmas in 2000, and had to wait 12 weeks for it since the factory closes down for two weeks during the holidays. That is why we just won't give it up. We only use it for towing, and thus only have 34,848 miles on it. :) Looking to put some new seatcovers right now. We LOVE this truck. Not good on passing up gas stations, but what the heck. I hope we never have to replace it. One honey of a truck and tow vehicle.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Glad to know that Dodge and Ford had Allison advise them on how to redesign their transmission. Our son has a 2006 Dodge Megacab and had to have it rebuilt this past summer, $2548 smackaroos. He had close to 100,000 miles when it started missing gears. Love the truck, but the transmission guy put in after market HEAVY DUTY parts and made it 200% stronger. Hopefully, he got it right for our son.

mobilcastle

My fantasy 1 ton truck would have a Cummins Diesel engine, Allison (2 l's) transmission, and a Ford frame and suspension.
I love my Chevy 3500 D/A (2011). My son calls the above combination a Frankenstein and also feels it would be the best comb. He is younger-Me and my DW like Chevy's ride. Allison is bulletproof.

Vtxkid

I'm on my second Chevy with the D/A combo and don't give the Allison a second thought! Both have done great with no problems... Right now I have the 2011 3500HD Dually and wouldn't have anything else...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

jdfishing

I've got one in my 2002 Chevy hooked up to the 8.1 liter. Had to replace the front seal and torque converter last year. Tried to find a tranny shop to fix it and they all said they had never had to fix one before. Ended up taking it to the dealer. Took two weeks to get parts from back east. Not much need for them out here. Bottom line, this is one durable smooth working tranny. Absolutely recommend it.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I've got one in my 2002 Chevy hooked up to the 8.1 liter. Had to replace the front seal and torque converter last year. Tried to find a tranny shop to fix it and they all said they had never had to fix one before. Ended up taking it to the dealer. Took two weeks to get parts from back east. Not much need for them out here. Bottom line, this is one durable smooth working tranny. Absolutely recommend it.

I had to put a new front seal in my 2005 approx 2 years ago. It went out because I had sand from the Oklahoma Pan-Handle in the bell housing. I could not find a transmission shop nor the local chevy houses that had had one out. The closest to me was Chevy dealer in Tulsa and they wanted $1200.00 plus parts. I put it in my shop and did it myself. The local GM dealer did print me out all the tech data and instructions. I hired a helper and we pulled it, replaced the seal ($9.00) and put it back in approx 10-12 hours. I do have a 450lb tranny jack and that is an absolute must. It is a beast.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Hi, We are looking at the idea of purchasing soon a new 2013 Chevy Silverado 3500HD. My question is the Allison automatic gearbox a good transmission. I know it is used in many vehicle types. Doe's it have any problems that I should be concerned about. Linked up to the Duramax motor sounds like a great match. I look forward to your comments and thank you in advance.
Cheers Paul

All three companies put a very strong transmission in their pickups today. Dodge on the other hand is going to give three options in 2013. Aisin (850ftlb engine), 68rfe(800ftlb engine), and the G56(650ftlb engine). All with the CTD 6.7.

While alison is a good transmission it's not the end all and by no means any better then the competitors. One thing that makes this transmission survive so well is because a V8 diesel is driving it. V8 diesels don't make good low end power. As the DMax makes its power higher in the rpms. Put a Alison behind a Cummins and you will see its weak points, it will not enjoy the low end power from that cummins. They don't build enough line pressure at low rpms to cope with the torque.

Ford probably has the best shifting strategy while empty/loaded out of the three.

But the Dodge 68rfe and Aisin is very similar to the GM Alison 1000. Such as not using any bands to hold the drums.

My best friend has about 140k trouble free miles on his alison. Though maybe 5,000 miles of that is towing but none the less it does well.

They are all awesome transmissions while running stock power.