Alternator Signal Wire

SLCOX

My Dometic refer (RM1350WIM) comes equiped with an automatic locking latch. According to the manual, I need a wire attached to the frige from the alternator signal wire. Does anyone know what this is and how to do so?

Thanks,
SLCOX

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A signal wire from where?? The only 12V signal wire from an alternator would be from your TV. It might be refering to the 12V charging wire from the TV to the coach when hooked up. But you also have 12V from the battery whether your hooked up or not. Ya got me on this one.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think they are using that in reference to having that refer installed in a motor home. As Bob said, that signal wire would have to be from your tow vehicle.
I think that you might be able to just run a switched 12 volt wire to that hookup and turn the power on when you travel and turn it off when you are parked.
I thought about doing that, but really never found a need for doing so.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

The alternator reference would be for installation in a motor coach. I've attached the picture from page 30 of the manual, showing the reference to the alternator signal on a small terminal block. Unfortunately, I don't know what the wiring is supposed to look like to enable the lock. Maybe there's a jumper across terminal positions.

My unit is in the shop, but maybe someone with the auto door latch working can upload a close-up photo of that terminal block so you can compare to yours.

Attachments

• refrigeratorback.jpg
    refrigeratorback.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 28

bdb2047

Ours has the auto locking.On the terminal strip there is a jumper wire(was blue) from12v+ to to alternator signal wire .Outside terminals on block.I removed jumper ran a 2 conductor wire to inside of trailer installed switch,right side of drawer under frige.I use this in place of jumper, Switch on auto lock works same as w/jumper.When parked turn switch off auto lock will stay open.Must be sure to have lock on when traveling,don't ask how I know.

SLCOX

Thanks all... wasn't sure what I was dealing with, now I am. Mine didn't have a jumper even so I will install that until I go the switch route.

Scott