Ammo availability?

My understanding of the green-tipped ammo is that the ammo is NATO grade .223 (5.56). As Rodbuster said, the .308 orange tips are tracers. The .308 black tips are armor piercing-you may never see one of these.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
The green tip is M855 NATO and is for use in A2 and later rifles. M16/M16A1 rifles are a 1/12 rh twist rifling and do not properly stabilize the round. It is a 62grn lead alloy core that requires the 1/7 rh twist of the M16A1/2/3/4 and M249 models. FYI reloaders. This is not the same casing as a .223 Remington. The casings are thicker walled and your loads should be reduced to allow for pressure changes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:

rjr6150

Thankfully still have friends behind the gun counter and in inventory keeping me updated as ammo arrives. But yes agree the panic has been crazy. On the other hand my stock portfolio has increased thank you. So to that thank you to the panic crowd.

tljack

I don't know what the green would be for but when I was in the Marines we used 7.62 with a painted marking in the same place. The only difference was they were orange. They were called "tracers". They would be used at night (sometimes during the day) to trace the path of the projectile. Mostly used with machine gun fire. Every 5th round was a tracer. Really neat to see at night. When I was in Viet Nam, I remember a couple of firefights that we were in, when the amount of ammo that we were putting out was so thick, that it seemed that you could walk across on the tracers.....that was not "so neat".
I was in Vietnam in 67-68. I was an engineman on Mark II PBR. My gun assignment was a 40 MM Gatling gun and a M-60 machine gun. I used linked 100 round belt ammo consisting of 4 rounds of ball and 1 tracer. We did a lot of night work and looking back at it, The tracers were pretty neat looking. At the time however I was generally to busy and scared to appreciate that. Terry

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ray, the ammo and guns dried up here for quite awhile. We are starting to see more ammo and guns again.

Westly, my son came home last weekend with some 5.56 armour piercing rounds and 30 round clips. He is in the Army.....so I guess it is OK.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Well, I found a box of 100 9mm Winchester for $26. Problem is, they were only available to folks purchasing firearms. I'm now the owner of a new Keltec P11 9mm pistol.:eek:
The things we have to do to get ammo around here.:cool:

marvmarcy

If they don't want us to have handguns, they just take away our bullets. As they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat. No offense to cat lovers. ;)

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Well, I found a box of 100 9mm Winchester for $26. Problem is, they were only available to folks purchasing firearms. I'm now the owner of a new Keltec P11 9mm pistol.:eek:
The things we have to do to get ammo around here.:cool:

Isn't that called extortion?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Isn't that called extortion?
Well, I guess if you were looking for ammo and were offered some with the purchase of a weapon, it could be considered that. In my case I had been looking for a smaller weapon. I just asked at the point of sale if they had any ammo on reserve for purchasers of a gun. They did...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My post disappeared. Oh well, guess what I said was not what I was supposed to say. Sorry

lwmcguir

Almost all long rifle ammo is available here now. No 22LR or .223 or 5.56 yet. Almost no pistol ammo unless you want the high end stuff. Guns are available however and I just added another Sig 5.56. Very sweet gun if you are in that market.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I just purchased 300 rounds of 22 for target and 200 Round of 9mm at Bass. The price was higher than I expected but lower than I've seen. it was $6/50 for the 22 and $17/50 for the 9mm. I also just got an email from my range that they just got in 30K rounds of 22 limit of 150 rounds / member to be fair and that is all target grade.