An official "Good Morning and Hello" to all...

truckmen

Hello Fellow Heartland Members,

I'd like to officially introduce myself to the forum members with a little bit about myself.

I am a merchant mariner working in the offshore oil industry as a 2nd Mate/DPO (Dynamic Positioning Officer) usually working a 28-day/28-day off rotation. This career is relatively new starting it late in life in 2006. Formerly an over-the-road truck driver, this career gives me the financial means and the time off to enjoy longer trips with my wife to see our beautiful national and state parks as well as visit friends and family all over the USA and Canada.

We, my wife Alina and I, have recently purchased a new 2015 Big Country (from Dixie RV in Defuniak Springs, FL on May 26, 2015) we are dubbing our "Base Camp" and are looking forward to meeting like-minded folks and making new friends.

So far, and as time allows, I am downloading manuals for the many items incorporated into this 5er while breaking it in. Similar to sea trials we do on vessels at sea that are also new, or have undergone substantial modifications, upgrades, rebuilds, etc., I find myself developing a system to address the many issues we are already coming across regarding workmanship on this 5th wheel. I am delighted and excited to "grow into" the new trailer but a bit miffed at what we've discovered. Nevertheless, we are going to enjoy the future with it and look forward to meeting up with you folks out there.

Thanks for reading this message and we'll see you.

Alina and Ralph M Bohm
Bucksport, Maine/Fountain, FL

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
Welcome to the club you will not regret it. We joined in 2011 and have loved every minute and made lifetime friends. The people in this club are wonderful and very knowledgeable so any issue with your 5er that you need help with just post the question here and you will be flooded with helpful hints. Enjoy your new unit and hope to meet you two on the road some day.

Garypowell

I appreciate your attitude in understanding our RV's are a work in progress! I have been RV'ing in conjunction with our business since 1996 and full timed about 2.5 years. Joined this users group in 2013 and was amazed at what I did not know. Great group here and lots of knowledge.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sounds like you have the right attitude and capability for owning a RV. While we would all rather have these rigs be perfect from the start, they are not. Stuff happens and if you can fix it yourself, you're further ahead. I understand things like bad frame welds or major components going belly up are beyond the DIY arena, but anything you can do yourself will keep you out of the repair shop and enjoying your rig. You'll find plenty of info on these forums for most any problem you encounter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk