Anderson 5th Wheel Hitches

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Has anyone seen or heard of the Anderson 5th wheel hitch system. It's suppose to be light weight and comes in either steel (60+ pounds) or alumimun (30+ pounds)?

My dealer wanted me to look at this set-up when I went to order the new 20K base for my Companion B&W Turn-over ball system. According to the dealer the Anderson is compatable with my turn-over system.

My primary concern is the warranty. This Anderson hitch has a one year parts and labor while my B&W has a limited life-time warranty. The base only for my B&W is about $250 more than the Anderson, but to me, the warranty difference more than makes up for the additional cost.

Just wondering if any one uses the Anderson system or knows someone who has.

Resiemon

Saving weight in your hitch is a bad idea. Steel = strength. Al does not have the fatigue resistance of steel.

R E Siemon 2015 BH 3875 F B with and 2015 F250 Diesel, 4WD, Firestone air bags

Bones

have you run a search on the Anderson on this site? There have been many discussions about the Anderson hitch. I have only heard of one issue with the Anderson and that was from the pin box cupping inward from the increased point load that the Anderson causes do to the way it hitches up.

klindgren

Thanks for the responses. And thank you Jamie for steering me in the direction of the other thread on the Anderson system. I haven't finished all of the posts, but I did get through about 4 pages. I'll go back and finish reading the other pages when I have some time.

I still haven't made up my mind yet, but it sure gives me some food to chew on.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Garry (aka - Doublegranch . . . I'm sure you met him in Vegas) has one and loves it!

Contact him for more info about his!

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Everyone that I have talk to, loves the Anderson hitch. They make both a steel and an aluminum version. Both a gooseneck and a frame rail version.

I did hear about the issue that "Bones" was talking about. I haven't heard many other issues though. Let me know how you make out.

KenandKK

I like mine! I have a few k-miles on it and no complaint's. Quiet, positive hook-up, height adjustable, and easy to remove. I bought mine direct from Andersen (best price). You do have to use the safety chain's/cables, fyi. OH, did I mention inexpensive? With the Trail-air pin box, there is no way for the adapter to 'cup' the underside of the pin-box. All plus's in my book.

cellman

I've had the aluminum anderson hitch for a year now pulling a 39ft toyhauler. The hitch pulls the trailer great with no clunking and jerking like other hitches. The trailer also has more side to side movement when going over uneven ground. The only draw back that I see is you have to raise the trailer kingpin up pretty high to get it over the ball and coupler. It also takes a little getting used to backing under the coupler if you can't see the ball on the hitch. I would call anderson and ask about the warranty. I also got into the habit of checking the 3 bolts every time I hook up to make sure they are tight.

klindgren

I've had the aluminum anderson hitch for a year now pulling a 39ft toyhauler. The hitch pulls the trailer great with no clunking and jerking like other hitches. The trailer also has more side to side movement when going over uneven ground. The only draw back that I see is you have to raise the trailer kingpin up pretty high to get it over the ball and coupler. It also takes a little getting used to backing under the coupler if you can't see the ball on the hitch. I would call anderson and ask about the warranty. I also got into the habit of checking the 3 bolts every time I hook up to make sure they are tight.

Thanks for your feedback cellman. I sent Anderson customer service an e-mail asking about warranty but have not yet received an answer. So far not real impressed with their customer service. Right now I am leaning towards the B&W hitch just because I'm familiar with it and I like their limited life time warranty.

Keith

danemayer

Thanks for your feedback cellman. I sent Anderson customer service an e-mail asking about warranty but have not yet received an answer. So far not real impressed with their customer service. Right now I am leaning towards the B&W hitch just because I'm familiar with it and I like their limited life time warranty.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Here's a link to the rail mount installation guide which includes a page on warranty.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Keith:
If you need a direct contact, pm me and I will give you a phone number to a guy I work with at the factory for Anderson. He has been nothing but GREAT to work with.

klindgren

Hi Keith,

Here's a link to the rail mount installation guide which includes a page on warranty.

Thanks Dan. That really helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Keith:
If you need a direct contact, pm me and I will give you a phone number to a guy I work with at the factory for Anderson. He has been nothing but GREAT to work with.

Thanks Doublegranch. I really appreciate your offer, however, after reading the warranty on the Anderson and knowing the warranty on the B&W, I have decided to replace my 18K Companion with the new 20K Companion. That way, I'll keep my limited life time warranty.