Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
My Anderson Hitch just arrived with the Funnel....
Placed it in my new Ram and everything fit great....even the rear pucks & Tie downs!
Only slight problem , I have a bed rug and it is about 1/2 inch thick raising the distance from the bed floor.
There is about 1/4 inch from allowing the safety pin from the frame hitch to fit under the gooseball in the bed...so I either have
to take the bed rug out or perhaps when I pick up my new Sundance, the weight will squeeze the rug
down to allow the pin to slide into place.....
Ram Tie down pucks are too large for the Anderson chain hooks to lock in place so I will purchase a couple of clasp pin locks
from Tractor supply to go through the tie down area and use the chain hooks on the Clasp pins.
I am excited about the set up and can't wait to head back next month to Elkhart to pick up the Sundance!

Oh, my factory bed camera allows full view of the goose ball on the Anderson Frame....that and the funnel should really allow for
an easy hook up.

Rollin_Free

My Anderson Hitch just arrived with the Funnel....
Placed it in my new Ram and everything fit great....even the rear pucks & Tie downs!
Only slight problem , I have a bed rug and it is about 1/2 inch thick raising the distance from the bed floor.
There is about 1/4 inch from allowing the safety pin from the frame hitch to fit under the gooseball in the bed...so I either have
to take the bed rug out or perhaps when I pick up my new Sundance, the weight will squeeze the rug
down to allow the pin to slide into place.....
Ram Tie down pucks are too large for the Anderson chain hooks to lock in place so I will purchase a couple of clasp pin locks
from Tractor supply to go through the tie down area and use the chain hooks on the Clasp pins.
I am excited about the set up and can't wait to head back next month to Elkhart to pick up the Sundance!

Oh, my factory bed camera allows full view of the goose ball on the Anderson Frame....that and the funnel should really allow for
an easy hook up.

So I really thinks pictures would be great?

Az_Ernie

Good deal, Garry! I'm glad your new hitch is going to work out for you. Looking forward to seeing pics.

Ernie

Doublegranch

Okay, here is a pic of the Anderson Ultimate 2 hitch in my Ram.

Attachments

• DSC_0225 resize.jpg
    DSC_0225 resize.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_0224 resize.jpg
    DSC_0224 resize.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_0223 resize.jpg
    DSC_0223 resize.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 115

Rollin_Free

Okay, here is a pic of the Anderson Ultimate 2 hitch in my Ram.

Fantistic, looks kinda like mine. I pick up my Sundance on 26 or 27th from the storage lot pulling it for the first time with the ultimate, of course. Two weeks ago we were in and out of freezing temps so even though I want it now it'll be safer if I wait till then to move it. I'm not sure what affect freezing has on the trailer structure so I'm not taking any chances of damaging it. Anyway thanks for the pictures.

Thought I'd provide you picture of my setup as well. I use my trailer leveling boards also to help center the hitch, help keep the generator centered, and take advantage of them instead of taking up valuable storage space.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Ok, I found a used Anderson hitch. It has only been used once. The guys truck wasn't big enough for the trailer and traded it in on a different truck with factory hitch installed. It is the Steel version. Just need Safety chain kit. Would save a lot of $$$.
So what is your thoughts on the Steel version? Not worried about weight.

Chippendale

Ok, I found a used Anderson hitch. It has only been used once. The guys truck wasn't big enough for the trailer and traded it in on a different truck with factory hitch installed. It is the Steel version. Just need Safety chain kit. Would save a lot of $$$.

[FONT=&quot]I have an early steel rail version in my F350 DRW and it pulls my Gateway just fine. I would not hesitate to pull a Bighorn or Landmark with it.[/FONT]

Rollin_Free

Did you end up purchasing the hitch?

Last edited:

Roadventure

I bought my Ram 3500 used, and it came with a gooseneck ball in the bed. I was really confused about what to do and didn't quite know how to approach the solution. RV.net had some posts about adapters etc. and I did see this mentioned and forgot about it. I was visiting a CW in my hometown of Idaho Falls, ID and asked what they would do. They highly recommended the Andersen hitch and had a demo unit in the store. Andersen hitches are made in Idaho Falls as well, so I understand there is some bias there. I did some research and found that they have over-engineered these. Check out this vid on YouTube . The crush test at the end is pretty much what sold me, but then there is a different video that they take the crushed/failed unit put a new ball on it and haul a 30K Trailer with dune rails in it to the sand dunes about 40 miles away, with 0 problems. I ended up getting the aluminum hitch with the the chain kit. The newest updated version has a funnel shaped shroud on the kingpin coupler. This is an excellent solution for those with factory gooseneck ball setups already. If you already have a B&W turnover ball (which has a square receiver for the ball) I've heard good things there - but be ready to pay almost 2x as much. B&W's reputation precedes them though, so you do have that assurance. Andersen is experiencing explosive growth and can hardly keep up with the demand for the niche market. I have only pulled 1 time with it since I am a n00b, but I was impressed with how well it handled and felt confident with the setup. Feel free to ask me ?s. I'll be rolling with it fulltime come June.

mlpeloquin

I bought my Ram 3500 used, and it came with a gooseneck ball in the bed. I was really confused about what to do and didn't quite know how to approach the solution. RV.net had some posts about adapters etc. and I did see this mentioned and forgot about it. I was visiting a CW in my hometown of Idaho Falls, ID and asked what they would do. They highly recommended the Andersen hitch and had a demo unit in the store. Andersen hitches are made in Idaho Falls as well, so I understand there is some bias there. I did some research and found that they have over-engineered these. Check out this vid on YouTube . The crush test at the end is pretty much what sold me, but then there is a different video that they take the crushed/failed unit put a new ball on it and haul a 30K Trailer with dune rails in it to the sand dunes about 40 miles away, with 0 problems. I ended up getting the aluminum hitch with the the chain kit. The newest updated version has a funnel shaped shroud on the kingpin coupler. This is an excellent solution for those with factory gooseneck ball setups already. If you already have a B&W turnover ball (which has a square receiver for the ball) I've heard good things there - but be ready to pay almost 2x as much. B&W's reputation precedes them though, so you do have that assurance. Andersen is experiencing explosive growth and can hardly keep up with the demand for the niche market. I have only pulled 1 time with it since I am a n00b, but I was impressed with how well it handled and felt confident with the setup. Feel free to ask me ?s. I'll be rolling with it fulltime come June.

Do not have anything with any give to it under the hitch!

Doublegranch

We have a new HOC member at the NM Rally with the Anderson Ultimate 2 aluminum hitch...He is towing a new 42 ft Big Horn with his 3500 Ram and loves the hitch....No issues at all....

Bones

I have to say that I am very intrigued about this hitch. but my current set up won't allow it's use and the DW would put me in a very deep hole if I tried to buy a new one.