Anode Replacement in Suburban water heater

Birchwood

Replaced the Anode ,drained and flushed tank and refilled with water. Turned on propane but only comes on briefly and then shuts off.Pressed reset buttons
but still won't operate on propane. Heater works fine on electric. Has anyone had a similar experience?

danemayer

I think it has a flame detector. If the burner lights but goes out after a few seconds, the flame detector may not be signaling that it detected a flame. Any possibility that a wire near the burner or gas valve got knocked off or is loose?

Birchwood

The system started working on propane after a couple days.I think the dampness from the tank flushing procedure may of caused the problem.Thanks to all that replyed.

busted2341

Great thread and perfect timeing. I need to clean out my hot water tank, but I really need it cleaned due to hard water. After removing the anoid and the electrical filiment how do you get all that lime out of the tank?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Great thread and perfect timeing. I need to clean out my hot water tank, but I really need it cleaned due to hard water. After removing the anoid and the electrical filiment how do you get all that lime out of the tank?

You'll just have to fill and flush it out several times with the city water connection.

jnbhobe

Why do you pull the electric filament, never heard of that. You can buy or make a tool to help you flush out the tank

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

Just a thought on flushing the water heater -- several videos suggest turning off the water heater several hours/days prior to flushing the tank to ensure that the water is cool.

Why can't you just turn off the AC and DC power switches to the water heater and run the hot water out of the heater? I would think that I could just turn on a couple of the hot water faucets inside the RV until cold water runs out and that would indicate that there is no longer hot water in the tank.

What am I missing here?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That will work. Did something similar running a hose from the lavatory faucet into the toilet to help clean the tank. Doesn't take long to get only cold water out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birchwood

Use a water tank rinser available at Campers world
49070n.jpg
through the Anode hole .

busted2341

My LM is a 2016 and was less then a year old, delivered in May. In March, it would not hold hot water for mre than about 5 minutes of run time. I pulled the anoid, which was covered in line. At that point I checked the amps and volts into the heater and discovered low voltage. I pulled the element and it was so covered in line that it was ruined. I replaced it and cleaned the anoid. Now that we are back in Texas, time to replace or clean both again. I always check volatage and Amps on every electric item I have problems with. Just to be sure. Under voltage can be a BIG probelm.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My LM is a 2016 and was less then a year old, delivered in May. In March, it would not hold hot water for mre than about 5 minutes of run time. I pulled the anoid, which was covered in line. At that point I checked the amps and volts into the heater and discovered low voltage. I pulled the element and it was so covered in line that it was ruined. I replaced it and cleaned the anoid. Now that we are back in Texas, time to replace or clean both again. I always check volatage and Amps on every electric item I have problems with. Just to be sure. Under voltage can be a BIG probelm.

Sounds like you need a two stage water filter system.