Another Genny on the road question

pharmafrog

Anyone ever have the problem of the Genny just cutting off while driving. I can only get it to run about 20 minutes (if that) when driving. It acts as if it is running out of gas, and I would have to agree. It takes a ton of priming to get it to start again and then risk it vapor locking. Could this be a fuel pump issue, fuel line, fuel filter, all of the above. The tank was full and it still did it, so I am not sure how air is getting into the fuel line.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks.

Sniper

You could try loosing the gas cap if you suspect a vapor lock condition this may help. Good luck.

Safe travels. :)

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I believe your Fuel tanks are way to the rear of that Cyclone. If so you have about 35' to 40' of fuel line under there that might be getting pinched when the trailer is flexing down the road. or a loose hose clamp that lets air in only when the trailer flexes also. Tighten the clamps and trace the line. Hope that helps

pharmafrog

I believe your Fuel tanks are way to the rear of that Cyclone. If so you have about 35' to 40' of fuel line under there that might be getting pinched when the trailer is flexing down the road. or a loose hose clamp that lets air in only when the trailer flexes also. Tighten the clamps and trace the line. Hope that helps

Sounds like a plan, I will take a look as soon as I can. I also get the chatter of the transfer switch when there is any load at the beginning. Might be the time to check all the fittings and terminals.

pharmafrog

Latest from Onan. They replaced the carburetor, and suggested because of the 35-40' of fuel line, that I install an inline helper pump to move the fuel more efficiently to the engine. Makes sense. That is a long pull for the tiny fuel pump in the gen set. I called Airtex and they recommended a model for the job. 27.00 later and we will see. Installing it this weekend. Will post results in case anyone else has this problem.

Sniper

I'm just curious, but does this only happen during travel or does the generator quit every 20 minutes or so when stationary as well?

BLHFUN

Latest from Onan. They replaced the carburetor, and suggested because of the 35-40' of fuel line, that I install an inline helper pump to move the fuel more efficiently to the engine. Makes sense. That is a long pull for the tiny fuel pump in the gen set. I called Airtex and they recommended a model for the job. 27.00 later and we will see. Installing it this weekend. Will post results in case anyone else has this problem.

My inverter stopped working during a 14 day trip with several full days of travel. I used the generator for 8 plus hours on a few hot days for my fridge and never had it stop like you mentioned. Also during extreme cold weather to keep my YETI package running. I don't believe the 35 to 40 foot run will not be the problem. There are literally 1000's of units just like this with no pump in the middle. I would continue looking for a loose connection or faulty line or clogged vent hose.. Something is loose that is allowing air in. The fact that it takes time to prime tells me it's draining backwards towards the tank.. That just screams loose connection or faulty carburetor/gasket.

Have you tried it with the carb change?

pharmafrog

Haven't tried it with the new carb yet. It happens every time when driving and occasionally when stationary. I know there is some air getting in there, with a full tank on the genny, even with the sloshing of driving, it should not be taking in air. I am going to pick it up later today and will run it on the way home, about 45-1hr. I am hoping that the carb is the problem, but even if it is, the 27 dollar pump isn't going to hurt anything. When I get the bottom opened up I will take a look at all the fittings and make sure that everything is tight, including all the connections on the genny/transfer etc...

Will let you all know when I figure it out. Headed to the Pocono race next Thursday, so that will be the ultimate test.

Sniper

Haven't tried it with the new carb yet. It happens every time when driving and occasionally when stationary. I know there is some air getting in there, with a full tank on the genny, even with the sloshing of driving, it should not be taking in air. I am going to pick it up later today and will run it on the way home, about 45-1hr. I am hoping that the carb is the problem, but even if it is, the 27 dollar pump isn't going to hurt anything. When I get the bottom opened up I will take a look at all the fittings and make sure that everything is tight, including all the connections on the genny/transfer etc...

Will let you all know when I figure it out. Headed to the Pocono race next Thursday, so that will be the ultimate test.
Hope it takes care of the problem, and you enjoy your trip. You may not know this, but just for your reference, the hour gauge also displays error codes for your generator (at least mine does). If the generator stops it will flash a code on the digital hour meter. The codes are in the generator manual. Of course it won't say "replace the spark plug(s)", but it may steer you in the right direction. Last year mine starting cutting out (about every 20 minutes), and it turned out to be a bad gas cap. I loosened the cap, no problems since. I have never run the generator while traveling.

Safe travels. :)

avvidclif

I agree with sniper, vapor lock. Especially since it takes a "ton" of priming. I know when pumping gas from my tank I have to loosen the cap or it will almost stop. If it quits again open the gas cap and listen for the whoosh.

porthole

Retired
Anyone ever have the problem of the Genny just cutting off while driving. I can only get it to run about 20 minutes (if that) when driving. It acts as if it is running out of gas, and I would have to agree. It takes a ton of priming to get it to start again and then risk it vapor locking. Could this be a fuel pump issue, fuel line, fuel filter, all of the above. The tank was full and it still did it, so I am not sure how air is getting into the fuel line.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks.

Loosing a prime for whatever reason is not "vapor lock". Priming time will not cause vapor lock.

Some issues that can affect it cutting out like you are experiencing could most likely be in the fuel delivery. Unfortunately, the only way you are going to be able to check that is to start from the genny back to and into the tank.
Start with the easiest, look underneath and see if the fuel filter is screwed in tight and the clamp is tight. Visually follow the hose. That will take removing some screws. You don't have to take everything down though.
Loosen the under belly, find the hose (most likely inside the left frame rail) and tug on it, both directions. If it feels free, move down 4-5 feet and look again.

I have run the genny up 5-7 hours on the road on occasion with no issues.

Although I have not experienced exactly what you have I have had similar issues.

I found the fuel hose pinched behind the genny. The forward basement wall was pinching the line against the frame. I found that with the "tug" test, as there was no way to visually see the hose.

I know my fuel cap will not vent as fast as the gasoline nozzle will pump. I can hear the tank flex as I pump and can hear the rush of air when I loosen the cap.
But, the genny running full bore is only using less then 1 gallon per hour. That equates to less then 2 ounces per minute. Or, in 20 minutes about a quart. Even if the cap was not vented, that flow should be ok.

Just my opinion, but I don't think the pump is necessary for the above reasons.

Did you see my thread on Onan issues? Look in the signature below. Most of the issues I have seen can be related to fuel quality, ethanol and that fuel shut off solenoid on the engine.

Try a full can of Sea Foam in the tank
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/pennzoil--sea-foam-fuel-stabilizer--13836119

I use SeaFoam once a year and use Valvtect's stabilizer, ethanol treatment ALL the time.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/valvtect--ethanol-gasoline-treatment--P011885902

But, when the genny acts up, I am at the ready to give that little solenoid a smack on the side with a wrench.

pharmafrog

Thanks for all the info. I will check everything out and let you all know. After the carb change, it ran all the way back from Onan, about 45-1hr. Like I said we are headed to the races, so i will give it the test. Haven't installed the helper pump yet. Ill hold off. Stuck needle valve in the carb BTW.

porthole

Retired
Stuck needle valve in the carb BTW.

Stuck needle valve? Were they anymore specific?
Just wondering because that would mean taking the carb apart to see, and they are not rebuildable.
But, it does sound like it was probably the shut off solenoid sticking.

pharmafrog

Nope, That's all they said. I know they are not rebuildable anymore. I tried to find a rebuild kit for my snow blower and was told to pack sand and buy a new one. No wonder kids cannot even change a tire now a days.