Another landing gear issue - I LOVE this forum

dbhutchins

Made the (apparently common) mistake of running my electric landing gear all the way up last weekend as we hooked up to get on the road. Never do this normally, but got distracted and it just happened. And surprise, surprise - it stopped working. OK, thinks I - fuse blew. Checked fuse panel inside the rig - no blown fuse. Nuts! So: used the hand crank to get underway, then parked, then re-hooked up, then parked again at home. Sure wishing they'd managed to line up the crank pin with the hole in the bodywork!! It took a LOT of fiddling to finally figure out the right angle on the crank to actually hit the pin. :-(

Remembered this AM to check the forum. Aha! It seems I'm about the 10,000th person to do this and blow the IN-LINE fuze hidden behind the battery wiring. Or at least that's my take-away from the dozens of threads on the subject.

THANK YOU, fellow happy campers. I'll be off to the rig this afternoon to check for that in-line fuze and set things right. I'd been assuming it must be either switch or motor burnt out. Mighty happy to find it's almost certainly a very simple fix.

I LOVE this forum!

Tigersden

Although I haven't got anything noteworthy to add, I do identify with this scenario. This happened to us on the very first day we took delivery of our Big Country and this snafu was part of a series of "now what do I do" issues that hit us that first night we set up. A friendly RVer in the campground came to our rescue with a replacement fuse that enabled us to get the gear down, and disconnect. I purchased spare fuzes the next day but haven't needed one since the maiden trip. I think dealers should include, with each unit delivered, a small inventory of all applicable fuzes as an inexpensive insurance policy for the not quite ready for prime time RVers like me.

CeeCee

Don & Sue,
We had that happen to us. We bought a new 5th wheel while we were on vacation & the dealer had their guy bring it to our campsite. He unhooked it & put the landing gear down. We always had travel trailers so this was all new to us. We got up 4am to make our trip home & couldn't get the landing gear to come up. We couldn't even find the fuze. Long story short we never got on the road until 9am. Thank god another camper came over & said he thought that was what it was. Guess more people do that than you think. Live & learn.