Another TowMax victim reporting in....

Jim.Allison

What is the size of the XP that should be used, and do you know the load rating for it?

You may have put only 1,000 miles on the tires but don't forget about the miles it was towed from Heartland to the selling dealer before your purchase. Also consider Mitchlien XPS Ribs as an alternate to the Goodyear G614. They run at 80 psi so no need to change your rim and a lot easier to add air to than a 110 psi tire.

scottyb

I have 235/85's but my next set will be 245/75. They are closer to the diameter of the ST's.

piet10

You may have put only 1,000 miles on the tires but don't forget about the miles it was towed from Heartland to the selling dealer before your purchase. Also consider Mitchlien XPS Ribs as an alternate to the Goodyear G614. They run at 80 psi so no need to change your rim and a lot easier to add air to than a 110 psi tire.

I changed my Blowmax with Michelin Ribs, and tow with much more peace of mind. I use the TST TPMS, and found the Ribs to tow much cooler. Next time I will replace wth the same Ribs, but go to the 245/75 to get more clearance between tires. I am about 1 1/2 inches between tires which is within Dexter specs and have had no problems, but a little more clearance would be better. After 11000 miles on the Ribs they still look like new. Same with my Michelins on the truck with 50,000 miles. And they are made in the USA.

SCPOBob

So many opinions on the web pertaining to tires for our coaches...other than run away from the TowMax's and Marathons; as I don't want the expense of new wheels this leaves out the G614's; anyone have experience with other than the Ribs that Piet10 mentions above?

And what about switching from an ST (OEM) to LT?

Heading to Les Scwhab tomorrow to get the carcass' off the wheels and figured I would see what they have....

scottyb

The XPS Ribs are a commercial LT. They have a full steel casing and weigh about 1.5X of the Towmax. They have one of the stiffest sidewalls on the market. I believe that BFG also makes a commercial LT that others have used.

Jim.Allison

Your 16 inch rims will fit the G614 tire, what you have to check is if the rim meets load rating and PSI test, the data is casted inside the wheel. No reason it does not fit , everyone elses 16 inch wheels do, but one must double check.

The G614 was probably offered as an upgrade for your rig. The G614 is an LT offered by goodyear specifically for trailer service.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-selector.aspx

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=XPS+Rib

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Transforce+AT

So many opinions on the web pertaining to tires for our coaches...other than run away from the TowMax's and Marathons; as I don't want the expense of new wheels this leaves out the G614's; anyone have experience with other than the Ribs that Piet10 mentions above?

And what about switching from an ST (OEM) to LT?

Heading to Les Scwhab tomorrow to get the carcass' off the wheels and figured I would see what they have....

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Maxxis 8008 is a good ST tire, but for a heavy cyclone, I'd follow other's recommendations on the g614s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimpav

speaking of trailer deliveries, on the way to the Amana rally today, a RV delivery guy passed us on Rt 80 going at least 70+ by my estimation. I read someplace of proposed rules/legislation for RV delivery drivers to supply their own wheels and tires until point of delivery where the factory wheels/tires would be put on. At least then the buyer would be assured of fresh tires!!!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
BTW As owners, we should try not to turn our rigs in such a manner that almost rolls the tire off the rim, we would blow fewer tires. Im not saying this is the cause of all tire failures but I do say that it is a problem.

Unfortunately, many campgrounds, in the name of packing as many RV's as possible into their parks, make it hard for us to not have to make tight backup turns into their sites.

Heck . . . even when I park my trailer into our side yard I have to crank a tight turn unless I am able to talk a few neighbors into moving their cars off of the street!

Jim.Allison

Believe me I get it, it is a burden that we all carry. My main point is that I don't know how important that 80 lbs of slider is. If I can't put it in with 88 degrees, I don't know what 90 will do for me.

Unfortunately, many campgrounds, in the name of packing as many RV's as possible into their parks, make it hard for us to not have to make tight backup turns into their sites.

Heck . . . even when I park my trailer into our side yard I have to crank a tight turn unless I am able to talk a few neighbors into moving their cars off of the street!

Jim.Allison

Why would anyone buy a Chinese made tire distributed by Dynamic tire, the very company that distributes Towmax and tells you that tire failures are because the rig is overloaded when they are not. Does not make sense. Take me once shame on you, take me twice shame on me, as they say. Invest in American labor, after all they are the ones paying taxes that ultimately pay your social security or will pay it. It confounds me why Americans buy so much Chinese junk then when they have an opportunity to purchase American made products they refuse. Forget about learning spanish, and start learning to speak Chinese. As far as profit is concerned, a chinese tire hits the shores at about $15 buck a unit, you pay $170 for it. But it kills people with a $50,000 plus RV to buy an American tire at $270 a copy. I don't buy anything from China if I can help it. BTW, when you mount Chinese tire, just realize that your entire wheel assembly is Chinese, probably from the bearings up. Think about that.

Last edited:

AlwaysOnLiberty

Scotty,

Do you think the XPS Ribs 245/75/16 will have any clearance issues with the shocks? They are only.3" wider than the stock 235/80/16 china bombs. I was looking at XPS Ribs in a 235/85/16 size, but am also concerned about the clearance between tires.

Dan

we had no choice what tires were on our rig when we purchased it new....we have however, replaced them all and are now in a "dispute" with them about the failure-they're just lucky there wasn't loss of life. it just blows my mind that Heartland puts these tires on a $100,000 rig-you'd think they would use quality items.

Jim.Allison

I did not see an earlier post from you? Did you have damage to your rig? I wish you success in your dispute.

we had no choice what tires were on our rig when we purchased it new....we have however, replaced them all and are now in a "dispute" with them about the failure-they're just lucky there wasn't loss of life. it just blows my mind that Heartland puts these tires on a $100,000 rig-you'd think they would use quality items.

FiremanBill

After 2 failures on one trip and a subsequent 3rd flat in the campground on the next trip I finally raised heck with them on their facebook page. I figured a little public attention to the issue on there very own front porch would help out as I had gotten nowhere with them before that.

It did. Within a couple of days I was called by them and offered a settlement. It was not enough to replace them all but at least it was something.

DainCPA

Wow! I am just learning how big of a problem this is!!! With less than 2,300 miles on my brand new Road Warrior, had a major blowout on highway. My tires have never been on dirt roads, and properly maintained. Rear tire took out metal siding and did roughly $2,500 of damage. I too had the stock 235/80/16 china bombs. Why does Heartland still use these defective tires after so many problems? I'm shocked. Heartland has some exposure. It's just a matter of time before someone gets injured or even a fatality. Any advice? Will Heartland reimburse me for my trailer damage? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: