Anxiety

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Double Cab with the same 6.0L gas engine, 4:10 rear end and the HD trailer package, but when we chose our Prowler, we chose the trailer to fit the truck!

It is just under 10,000 pounds loaded.

We haven't gone over Wolf Creek Pass with it yet, but have gone up Floyd Hill once and passed over Konosha and Monarch Pass four times and the truck handled them all without issue.

We weren't going 90 MPH . . . but walked up those hills without slowing down traffic or getting the finger from all of the other drivers! :)

We did the whole I-70 trip last year (Floyd Hill, Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail Pass) with our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner (which weighed about 1800 pounds less than the Prowler and almost forgot we were pulling a trailer!

Plus took it down to the Grand Canyon and southern Arizona last January with the old trailer.

The gas engine trucks do not have the engine or exhaust brakes, so going down these mountain passes can be tricky . . . but once you learn how to do it . . . it ain't no big thang!

Plus, there are often other routes to take to avoid the big hills!

The trailer you are looking at is much heavier than ours, so you might either consider looking at a different Heartland trailer that better suits your truck . . . or as others have mentioned you may want to look at a 3500HD!

ProwleratBlueMesa-P1010116.jpg ProwlerBlueMesa-P1000480.jpg ProwlerPigtail-P1000474.jpg ProwlerAtArbys2015-P1000174.jpg SunCityRV-RVPark-IMG_20150122_075627618.jpg SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg Truck&CamperAtGasStationSmall.jpg RifleCO2014-IMG_2931.jpg TruckAtGrandCanyon-IMG_3537.jpg NewTruckTrailerLevel-IMG_20140918_130913251.jpg

By the way, we have a very active Colorado and Mountain Region Heartland Owners Club going on here!

We've go so many events planned it's crazy!

We are a wild bunch and have a blast every time we get together!

I wasn't trying to be overly critical, I'm just trying to give you the advice I give everyone that asks for opinions on "will my truck tow this?"

Because I see it often on all types of RV forums. Folks try to justify the truck or trailer they picked based on other's experiences rather than do the research themselves. Sounds like you have looked at the numbers, but the payload (with a loaded, not dry pin weight) may be a concern. Our rig has a GVWR of 14348. When we weighed, we came in under 13,600 but found our pin weight was around 3000 lbs, and that wasn't loaded for full time living.

You are right to be concerned, but if you weigh and adjust accordingly, you may be OK. Practice some short drives around areas you are familiar with, if you can, before the big journey.

Our 1st trip was from Dallas, TX to Santa Fe, NM just one week after buying the rig. I don't recommend doing that! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

;)No, I didn't think you were being critical at all. I'm sorry if I sounded like I was in that mindset. We will manage and like I said we will load my car, too. We do travel extremely light because we have been doing this for a while. I know even down to our dos pantalones what we need, lol. It's literally about five large totes worth and much of that is a massive amount is toiletries and cleaning product. I will need some more cooking pans and things like that. I have already decided that I am no longer going to have 18 bottles of shampoo and lotion, lol. Various hoses and adapters for the sewer.

We have until December 26th before we hit the road. Every weekend is going to be spent camping so we can get some practice in. Next weekend we are going to camp in Virginia beach. If that goes well we might head up to Chincoteague islando at the end of the month.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
By the time you load all your "essentials," it's easy to have added 2000 lbs. or more. The pin weight on the sticker is as it came from the factory, empty. It's easy to end up several hundred pounds heavier once you put your clothing in the bedroom and your gear in the basement.

There is a bit of a learning curve as you start to realize some things you thought were needed end up never being used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk