Anyone blow a trailer tire?

Last year I purchased a 2012 Cyclone 3010. I had a trailer tire blow while hauling it home and the same tire location blew a second tire this past weekend. The new tire was 11 months old. The camper had not been used over the winter so less than 500 miles on the tire. Anyone experience something similar? The axle doesn't appear to be out of alignment, at least its not obvious. Didn't notice any wear on the tire. Looking for any troubleshooting tips.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It is likely that your Cyclone came with Towmax tires. They do not have a good reputation and if you search the forum you can read all about them.
One thing you did not mention is the air pressure you are running in your tires. Or if you have checked that pressure in its 11 month life.
It is important to run the max listed on the sidewall if you don't know the weight at each tire.
If you saved the carcass you may be able to recover some if you file a claim with the tire company.
Oh, and I moved your post out of the smoke detector area and into the tire area.

Peace
Dave

jimtoo

Hi Piper-Rose,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Most likely you have the TowMax tires on the unit. These tires with any age at all have been giving problems, blowouts, throwing the tread. Any tire that gets to be 4 years old or so should be replaced. The replacement being only 11 months old if a TowMax is not unusual.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new to you unit.

Jim M

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The better question would be, "Has anyone on here with Tommax tires NOT blown one?"

BlackT

My Towmax tires haven't blown out yet. Based on what I had read about them, I took them off of my new trailer as soon as I got home with it and put them in storage. I replaced them with G rated tires. So far, the TowMaxes haven't torn up my storage shed, but I am keeping a close eye on them!

scottyb

My Towmax tires haven't blown out yet. Based on what I had read about them, I took them off of my new trailer as soon as I got home with it and put them in storage. I replaced them with G rated tires. So far, the TowMaxes haven't torn up my storage shed, but I am keeping a close eye on them!

I did the same thing. My Towmax were bartered for some concrete work. The contractor used them for their trailers hauling form lumber.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Blunt and to the point. IF they are Towmax, you are living on borrowed time. Get rid of them before you loose the side of your CY. GY G614's (14ply) G rated or the Sailun (14ply) G rated are a good choice.

bigdob24

I have 10K on my TowMax tires that came with the RV.Today I placed an order at the local tire shop for a set of Sailun S 637 tires.Knock on wood the TowMax have been great but I do worry about running them .I only need 100 more miles out of them and I'm done.I did install a TPM system and will have it on the new set as well.I happened by my RV dealer today and looked at a couple new BC's and they now have Sailun tires on them from the factory. So apparently the Heartland people are done with TowMax as well.I spoke with the people that import the Sailuns today along with a local Sailun tire wholesaler and the guy at the tire shop I bought them from and everyone has nothing but good things to say about Sailun S 637'sBefore making the change be sure your rims are rated for 110 PSI and that they have high pressure valve stems.Also the Sailuns are a bit taller tire make sure you have room and also the spare needs to be changed out too.I got mine for $195 per tire , out the door,mounted, taxes, balanced and a new valve stem.No more worries ;-)

Lynn1130

The short answer is YES! A search will give you multiple threads on tire failures with BLOWMAX tires.

Jim.Allison

Sold my "Blowmax will pop's" to my landscaper. That was after a 1800 mile blowout and $2000 worth of damage on a brand new Big Country, and an insulting letter from Dynamic tire of Canada who distributed that China bomb. Overbought a set of G114s, and added TPMS. Glad I did.