Anyone have a security safe?

talley

Talley thanks for that little bit of info now I have to start putting papers on the floor like one would do for a puppy. Guess it was to be expected being the dogs these people are for taking from law abiding citizens.

Papers on the floor:):) ....he, he!! Sorry:eek::D

wyleyrabbit

Would a gun safe be any more secure than the typical fire safe? They seem to be a fair bit more expensive for the same size. We have a Sentry fire safe at home, and I suppose someone could stick a crow bar in the gap in the front door and pry the sucker open; that would be a sweaty, messy job, but I guess it's possible.

RoadJunkie

With all the discussion surrounding safes, has anyone had--or even heard--of a 5th wheel break-in? Or, am I being naive by not being at all concerned about thief from my RV? We live in a small town with small crime so maybe I'm shielded from the "real" world.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We got our little safe at Costco. You can set it to unlock when you swipe a credit card, use a key, or use a keypad. We haven't put it in yet though.
Kristy

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had a person tell me one time that their Motor Home had been burglarized while they were gone. They told me they locked the from door but left a window open on the bedroom slide. Someone took off the screen, got in and stole their laptop. They told me they we in a state park at the time with lots of in and out traffic. Really don't know if I believe them.

Tom of Ypsi

RoadJunkie,

Naive!! I do not think so. Being from a small town has its perks and not hearing all of the bad things is one of them. My brother, forum name TGLBWH, had his 5th wheel broken into this past Oct along with about 10 others. Not much damage except one window but most everything of value was taken. This happened in a secure, gated, barbed wire fence storage area in Michigan.

irvin56

READ ON a forum They took the complete trailer

And used it for a meth lab. and heard also of trailers taken to be used for work locations and left behind after.

Someone on north trail forum have trailers being broken into.

NOTHING is safe. they want something they will take it.

A LOT of dealers and storage places have signs on trailers saying all electronics and valuables are removed.

One Dealer I talked to said they have no more problems and leave blinds partally open so people can see there is nothing around inside.

lwmcguir

Mounting any kind of safe box in the basement would allow drilling through supports to anchor it. It has to be anchored or the thieves will just take it along. Could be mounted elsewhere but would take up floor space unless it is very small such as a pistol box. To bad we even have to think about this. We have never had a break in over the past 40+ years but they are on the increase. With un-employment looking to stay high it might be a while before it gets better.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The following reflects my opnion
In the not to distant past you would go into an RV Park, setup, unload and enjoy your stay without worrying. You could leave your chairs, bicycles, coolers and whatever else outside unsecured without fear of them being stolen. Lately I have noticed more "permanent" residents as the RV Parks begin looking more like trailer parks. The mangers care only about filling spaces. People walk through your site, make noise all hours of the day or night, leave theiir sites looking like a "junkyard" and the park owner/mangers say nothing. We have noticed more "workmen" living in inexpensive "trashy" looking RVs. More people have found it is cheaper and less regulated to live in their homes on wheels and if they get complained on too much they just hook up and move on to the next park down the road. The RV park are less secure and seldom do you see any law enforcement presence in them as you would in a sticks and bricks neighborhood.
We in the real RV community must demand owner/mangers of RV parks enforce their rules and we must report violators of said rules to the management. Then let the management know if they will not make their parks more secure you will not stay there and will pass the information about that park to all of your RVer friends.
I must say the park we are staying in is the exception to the rule as the manager is very vigilant in making sure the "residents" have a safe and seure environment so we can enjoy our stay. This park is clean, very well maintained and we feel safe here even though the park is not is the greatest area. I guess the bottom line is we are all responsible for our own safety and if you pull into a park and it looks and feels unsafe then we should 'go on down the road'.

As far as storing your RV you must find a storage area that is monitored and patrolled. Don't leave valuables in it while in storage (or leaving it at a dealer for repair).

May we all have a Merry Christmas and a safe secure New Years...Happy Travelling...