Anyone have any advice on RV-ing the NASCAR Series...?

Sarge

Tracks targeted are Chicago / Sonoma / Fontana -

Looked for reviews but it seems like BIG bucks ($2k+) a weekend to get the infield spots.

Anyone have advice and/or experience with these or other tracks on the major event weekends...?

Thanx, Sarge

Geodude

I went to Loudon last year and Dover a couple of weeks ago. Nascar camping is field camping, tightly packed. Our group always forms a bit of a "compound", as long as the organizers let us park that way. We had six or seven rigs this year so we got extra spots so we had room to organize ourselves plus lots of space for our trucks. Otherwise, as I mentioned, it's pretty tight.

It's all dry camping, so lots of generators. In my experience you have to turn them off at 11 unless you have a note from a doctor that you need to run the generator for a sleep machine. Companies typically go around offering ice, water filling, pumpouts, etc. At Dover there was a place to go for free fillups if you wanted to do it yourself. They also had a dump station a lot of people used when leaving, but I don't know if it was free or if they're widely offered.

It can be a really good time at the campground, with lots of fun things going on. I think the infield might be neat but it would be really LOUD when the cars are running, which would be every race that weekend and any practice time. Most camping areas are a reasonable walk to the track plus there's often a shuttle service. I've also seen people use bicycles to ride back and forth.

We also buy extra seats for the race, so we have lots of seating room there too.

We have had season tickets at Bristol for years, it's definitely a track that should be on your list! Even though a lot of people say that they ruined the racing when they reconfigured the track, to me it's still real exciting racing, but I prefer the short tracks. I can't give a whole lot of feedback on camping at the track, I'd rather be away from it. We always stay at Lakeview RV Park in Bluff City, a short 3 mile drive to the track. They also offer shuttle service to the races. It's nice to have the full hookup. We have made friends there over the years and they are like family. They stay pretty booked, especially for the night race, not so much for the Spring race.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Staying at the track is fun to us. We wouldn't ever stay in the infield due to the constant noise levels. We have not taken our rv to the tracks on your list but I would guess they are pretty much all the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Looked for reviews but it seems like BIG bucks ($2k+) a weekend to get the infield spots.

And to think I thought that KOA's were expensive . . . :eek:

szewczyk_john

We are avid NASCAR fans. Each track is set up differently and each has their own pricing. As was stated most of my camping is dry camping done on POPs (privately owned property) around the tracks. If you stay on track property you be squeezed in tighter than you would like. Most POPs give you more room and are cheaper than track property. I have been to almost half the tracks but I am a short track fan with Richmond and Martinsville as my favorites and I am season ticket holders at both with seats on the Start/Finish line. These are 2 of the cheapest for Rving also. Sounds like you are looking at the other side of the country.

Jim-Lynn

Anyone have advice and/or experience with these or other tracks on the major event weekends...?

Thanx, Sarge

Not sure where you got the 2K, unless you are taking 20 people. I do quite a few races a year, some I go to every year and they all have their own pros and cons. Some I would not go back too & some are a don't miss - my opinion ONLY. Of the 3 tracks you want to go to, I have only been to Chicago, and it was really good. Nowhere near 2K either. Bristol, Martinsville, Darlington are real experiences and worth the trip. Talladega is great, infield camping is a must and really not noisy. Fan are great at mostly all the tracks I have been to.
Good luck & I am sure you will enjoy no matter what track you go to.

Jim

Rookie17

We have had infield spots at Charlotte for a while now, and ventured to the recently past Talledega race in the infield as well. Each to their own but I wouldn't do anything EXCEPT the infield. I've camped outside the track at Phoenix multiple years in the past and the experience isn't close to the same.

We will go to both races at both locations every year now and probably a couple others.

Generators are usually off between midnight and 6am, but some areas have no noise restrictions. I prefer the quiet time areas and run off a battery if we are awake.

Costs vary but my experience is $300 to $400 per spot for the week, plus infield wristbands per person in the region of $75 to $100 per person dependent on the track. Roll in is usually early Wednesday morning and out anytime Sunday or Monday dependent on race time.

I never bother with grandstand seats, everyone in the infield is on top of their camper or RV and it becomes a "family reunion" with all your neighbors and new friends twice a year.

Basically its a laid back get together and there happens to be a couple races going on. Majority are family friendly with exception of one part of the Dega infield, Talledega Blvd area can be a bit raunchy for the kids and rated adult fun only.

NYSUPstater

Did Bristol spring race in '08. Stayed at drive in (3/4 miles away), walked to from track. We were able to secure a electric site. No full hook up or water, but able to fill water tank there. If memory serves me right, cost was like 300-500 bucks for 3-4 nites. Race wise it was good, but IMO don't think as good before the re-pave----more beatin'-n-bangin' then.

Went via bus to Dover, but friends of ours take their RV and stay in parking lot nearby. No water, electric or sewer.

Martinsville is on my bucket list as that seems to be the new beatin'-n-bangin' track w/ lots of raised tempers. Not sure about camping sites.

Jim-Lynn

Thanx, Sarge

Sarge: If you call some of the tracks, see what their changes are for next year. Apparently there are quite a few tracks doing away with the infield camping. I know Phoenix has just announced it, not sure is it for '17 or '18.

Jim