Anyone use a CPAP machine while camping ???

My first Heartland (BH 3070RL) is on order. Factory rep at the RV show so am getting a DC plug installed at the factory in the bedroom for $50. Just still need to figure out about DC adapter cord and about keeping batteries charged---may get at least one extra like recommended in this post. But this summer plan to stay in Newhalem Creek (WA) national forest campground for a week --- need to figure best way to keep charged. I have a year old Phillips Respironics

hoefler

My first Heartland (BH 3070RL) is on order. Factory rep at the RV show so am getting a DC plug installed at the factory in the bedroom for $50. Just still need to figure out about DC adapter cord and about keeping batteries charged---may get at least one extra like recommended in this post. But this summer plan to stay in Newhalem Creek (WA) national forest campground for a week --- need to figure best way to keep charged. I have a year old Phillips Respironics

You have the same machine as I do, you can run it on 12 volt DC if you don't use the humidifier. You will have less power consumption than if you run it through a inverter.

ICamel

I have used a ResMed S8 Elite CPAP w/humidifier since 12/28/07 due to severe sleep apnea. One of my major concerns after being diagnosed was how was I going to dry camp. I solved that issue by installing two dedicated RV Deep Cycle Batteries in the bedroom which are recharged from shore power by a charger/maintainer while parked at home. I power the CPAP with a 600W/300W pure sine wave inverter hooked up to the dedicated batteries. I also have a 15A automatic type battery charger that I can use if needed to recharge the batteries while dry camping by running a generator during the day. I have found that I can get at least 4 nights of sleep without needing to recharge my CPAP dedicated batteries. When we traded our older 5'r in last year for the new Elkridge, it was easy to transfer all this to the new rig. In our old rig the batteries were installed in the closet next to the bed, but in the Elkridge they are installed under the bed(contained in a large plastic tub). I always make sure there is adequate ventilation when recharging the batteries. In almost 5 years of CPAP use, I have only missed 3 nights use due to the inverter blowing a fuse while camping, and those were 3 of the worst nights without much sleep. I now carry extra fuses and know how to replace them in the inverter. You can confidently use a CPAP while dry camping!

RollingHome

ICamel, this same question has poped up several times or more :)... Most CPaps want 12 DC voltage. If you invert to 120 VAc then convert to 12 VDC you are wasting time and energy !. If you go onto your CPaps website they probably sell a 12 VDC adapter kit (used for car use, etc)... I had 2 - 12 VDC female sockets (cigarette type) installed next to our main bed (my wife and I use CPaps) and tied into the house battery. We just plug in and we're good to go. You DO NOT NEED to invert > convert etc. etc. Your CPaps just needs 12 VDC power. If you put an osciloscope on a 12 DCV battery, you will NOT FIND cleaner 12 VDC power anywhere ! It's the way to go and it's your most simple way. I actually posted a thread a couple years ago explaining this under medical on this site check it out. Happy Camping :)

ICamel

Yes, my CPAP can be powered by 12V DC, however the humidifier will not be powered according to the owners manual - "Note: If your flow generator is powered via the DC input, the HumidAire 3i is not powered and humidification output will be reduced". Thank you for your input, but I will stick with what works for me.