Article on RV 50 amp Power and how it works

Garypowell

This was a good article. Every so often you'll see someone write in that there is no 240 V in an RV.....and if you are hooked to 50 Amp you do have 240 V in the RV.....they are just not wired to use it.... I do sometimes wonder why not. Our clothes would dry a lot faster if we could use a standard dryer.

brianharrison

The RVIA standard disallows 240V. Specifically RVIA code does not allow the installation of a 120/240V generator; RV gensets have to be 120V only, if it has two windings they have to be wired in phase.

Brian

PS European RVs use 240 as standard.

HornedToad

The RVIA standard disallows 240V. Specifically RVIA code does not allow the installation of a 120/240V generator; RV gensets have to be 120V only, if it has two windings they have to be wired in phase.

Brian

PS European RVs use 240 as standard.

I enjoyed reading that article because I think that I finally understand what "out of phase" means...
I'm still having a hard time comparing that to... or understanding the difference between "in phase".

I google it but the explanations deal more with sine / sound waves instead of electricity???

Bones

I enjoyed reading that article because I think that I finally understand what "out of phase" means...
I'm still having a hard time comparing that to... or understanding the difference between "in phase".

I google it but the explanations deal more with sine / sound waves instead of electricity???
Well electricity is basically a wave form in a sinewave. Smooth. That is why when you see inverters they say pure sine or modified sine