ATF: Big Country - Brake size

Bob Vaughn

I think I need to change out the brakes on my 2011 Big Country. What size brake sets should I order??

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on what weight rating your axles are you should find what you need at this link. [LINK]

Peace
Dave

Morning Bob:

Option #1: I would recommend you contact Heartland Customer Service with your VIN Number in hand and see what size brakes were installed at the factory and ordering new ones.
Option #2: Pulling them down and measuring them, then contact Heartland Customer Service to order new ones.
Option #3: Upgrade to Kodiak Disc Brakes, that's what I did.

Hockster

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bob, could be 11" or 12". Either way buy the whole brake assembly not just shoes. That way you get new shoes, magnets and backing plate as one assembly. The assembly's cost what just new shoes are. Good time to repack the wheel bears and install new grease seals BTW, make sure you have the drums turned and inspected for any "hot spots".

Last edited:

Bob Vaughn

I just went to CW and they want 1700.00 to replace the brakes on my Big Country....I did not want to buy interest in the place.......

lynndiwagoner

I would do what bob&patty recommended. Go to etrailer.com and buy the entire assemblies......the only way to go.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I just went to CW and they want 1700.00 to replace the brakes on my Big Country....I did not want to buy interest in the place.......

I think you could get the change over to disc brakes for about the same price. Check around to some trailer places that sell Dexter axels. Many have service departments that could do the work cheaper than CW. Check out the disc brake price while you are checking. Look at trailer parts and supplies in your area and then give them a call.

kkamshop

After 2 sets of brakes on my 09 Landmark trying to get better brakes I got the disc brakes. Now brakes are no longer a concern.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I replaced all 4 brakes on our trailer a few months ago. Purchased 4 new complete assemblies for $230. We have Dexter #7000 axles.

15q6iap.jpg

Bob Vaughn

I bit the bullet and had disc brakes on my 2011 Big Country. At a 4.5 setting when i apply the brakes now I feel the camper stopping. Before even at a setting of 10 I never felt any thing....even at max setting while doing the pull test I could actually move the trailer. Not so any more. Last week I forgot to disconnect the breakaway switch and the brake hydraulic pump let me know it in a hurry. Had I still had electric brakes I would not have known because there would have only been silence ......This is the best mod I have ever done....

Bob Vaughn

It was 3100.00 but I also had a hitch receiver installed on the front of my truck. So it was a little less than 3000 bucks and I would spend it again in a heart beat. What convinced me was when I attempted to make an emergency stop in a rain shower and the 5th wheel was pushing the truck causing it to bounce.....