ATF: Bighorn - 12v and 110 power problem

I unpluged my 5th wheel yesterday and plugged it back in today. Now I have no power to the frig or the TV and audio system. The microwave is working and the cealing fan works but all of the 12 volt items are running down like it might have a dead battery. I checked the GFI and all of the breakers and all are OK. The power panel shows dead batteries when it is hooked up to shore power. The converter doesn't seem to be working also. Besides taking it in to the dealer, does anyone have any ideas where to start looking. Could it be dead batteries?
When I checked the 12v fuse by the batteries and pushed in the reset button it doen't stay in, can it be tested and does that sound like the problem?

brianharrison

Fridge, TV and audio may be on the same 110V circuit, not 12V. I can only think of resetting the 110V breaker in the AC power panel. Microwave is on a separate circuit (20 amp) and the ceiling fan as well (15 amp). These are 110V devices.

The converter (not inverter) may have one or more of the 12V fuses located on the converter body blown and need replacing.

By saying the 12V fuse beside the batteries I think you mean the manual reset breaker located near the 12V bus bar?

Hope this help,
Brian

danemayer

It does sound like you're missing one leg of the 50amp service. The breaker panel in your coach should have 2 50amp breakers. Sometimes it's hard to tell if they're tripped, so flip them off and back on.

Check voltage at the pedestal. Both legs should show 110V on a voltmeter.

There could be a problem with the power cord. If it's detachable, with it detached, measure voltage where it connects to the RV.

If you have generator prep, the power goes through a transfer switch in the basement that could have a loose wire or bad contact.

I went out and unpplugged everything and turned off the breaker. Then plugged it all back in and turned on the breaker. Waalaa Everything is working now. What in the world could have caused this to happen? Any ideas out there?

danemayer

I went out and unpplugged everything and turned off the breaker. Then plugged it all back in and turned on the breaker. Waalaa Everything is working now. What in the world could have caused this to happen? Any ideas out there?
Could be a problem in the pedestal, a problem with your power cord, or a problem in the transfer switch if you have one.

Wiggle the power cord a bit and see if anything quits.

Codah

I had a similar thing happen this weekend but no fuse problems. I found that one leg of the 50 amp service receptacle was not functioning. I put on my 30 amp adapter and plugged into the 30 amp receptacle - and that fixed everything. I have a Sundance 3100ES. In my case the TV, Ceiling Fan, all all outlets were with outpower until I plugged into the 30 Amp outlet on the pedestal. I'll bet you had a similar problem or you pushed the reset button in further the second time when tyring to get the power restored.

chasdvorak

I recently helped a friend with a similar problem and thought I located a bad breaker....for grins I checked some of the other breakers and discovered that every other breaker had no voltage...which translated into losing one leg of the 50 amp service. We checked the campground pedestal and both legs were hot which led us to the next step of checking the power cord connector on the trailer. A simple twist of the cord solved the problem since he did not seat it properly or use the lock down knob. In my mind, the first key to troubleshooting is connectivity......trace the route from power source to appliance before jumping the gun by replacing the non-working item. Most times it is a simple as a blown fuse, loose wire, defective switch or faulty circuit.

Thanks all of you heartlanders. It appears to have been a bad connection where the power cord plugs into the trailer. You guys saved me a trip to the RV lot and 100 bucks an hour to fix my stupidity. Thanks to all.