ATF: Bighorn - 2008 Bighorn 3370 RL Empty Weight

EasyRyder

Heartland states that the empty weight on a 2008 Bighorn 3370RL is 10,635lbs and the Hitch weight is 2,065lbs, but when I weighed the empty unit on a scale the actual empty weight was 12,300lbs? and the hitch weight was 2100lbs. There was no water in the tanks only 60lbs of propane, no food or anything, we just purchased the unit. Why is there such a difference in weight?

jimtoo

Hi EasyRyder,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to thefamily. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information andall willing to share their knowledge when needed

The posted weight is estimated empty and before any options, including battery, propane, extra a/c or anything. The actual weight should be on a yellow sticker on the door frame.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jbeletti

EasyRider,

Thank you for your purchase. As Jimtoo suggests, the advertised weight is without options etc.

In 2008, the actual weight sticker may not be yellow and on the door frame. It may be white and stuck inside of a cabinet. When you find it, you will know what the estimated weight of the unit was when new.

I'm not sure when the RVIA rule came into effect, but when it did, all RV makers making RVIA sealed units had to do weigh each unit as it rolled off the line. The weights are printed on yellow stickers on the door frame.

Prior to this rule, estimated weights were used.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Heartland states that the empty weight on a 2008 Bighorn 3370RL is 10,635lbs and the Hitch weight is 2,065lbs, but when I weighed the empty unit on a scale the actual empty weight was 12,300lbs? and the hitch weight was 2100lbs. There was no water in the tanks only 60lbs of propane, no food or anything, we just purchased the unit. Why is there such a difference in weight?

You are looking at a 2008 model? I guess it is used? The previous owners may have added/upgraded things along the way as well, adding to the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk