ATF: Bighorn - Black Tank won't drain

mgarvin4

I have a 2013 Bighorn 3585RL that is just past warranty. My problem is that I cannot drain my black tank. What can I do to check what the problem is? Iawas able to reach the valve by taking some of the screws out of the underbelly and I can feel the cable move when the valve is pulled but nothing comes out except maybe a bucket full then stops. I tried running the tank wash a little but didn't know if that was a good idea or not. The tank is approx 3/4 full. Could the blade in the valve be disconnected from the cable and if so how can I reconnect it.

Thanks you

Garypowell

There is an adapter that fits over the end of the outlet that you hook your drain hose onto and it has a hose bib. Hook this up and turn the water on. If you are not getting any flow then your blade is stuck.

But if you can tell water is flowing in....this flow will move the obstruction back so maybe the tank can fully drain.

danemayer

If you can see the valve assembly, as I remember, the cable attaches to a cylinder and you can see the cylinder move as you pull/push the cable. If you can see movement, you may just have a blockage on the other side of the valve.

We've got some tips in the Water Systems Guide starting on page 17 that may help you clear the blockage. Basically you need to run water back up toward the valve to move the blockage away from the valve. Some accessories shown in the guide will help.

mgarvin4

Thanks Dan, that is what I am suspecting since I can feel the cylinder move back and forth when we push/pull the cable. I will try the backflush and also look at the Water Systems Guide.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've experienced that phenomenon several times. Usually occurs if I'm dumping the tank and the toilet has recently been used. Flows along then suddenly trickles off to nothing. Sometimes adding water via the tank flusher helps, but usually it takes some back flushing to move the dam. Another thing that seems to reduce that from happening is to run the tank flusher as the tank is draining. Just keep an eye on the clear adapter to make sure the flow does not stop.

TravisJen

It may also be possible that the tank isn't actually 3/4 full. Our Torque has shown 2/3 full since the first time we used it and its been emptied a dozen times since.

HappyKayakers

It might also help to know your tank dumping/flushing procedures up to this point. Or you might have the dreaded tank cutout blocking the valve opening.

Gaffer

Get a clear adapter so you can see how much and how fast you dump. Use plenty of water when you flush. Keep toilet paper to a minimum. Use the flush until it runs pretty much clear each time, or you will likely get build-up and damming. It is a good thing to squirt a small bottle of dish soap down the toilet along with some dissolved Calgon water softener and several gallons of water just before travelling. Then dump as soon as you get to your next camp spot and do a through black tank flush once in awhile.

whp4262

There is an adapter that fits over the end of the outlet that you hook your drain hose onto and it has a hose bib. Hook this up and turn the water on. If you are not getting any flow then your blade is stuck.

But if you can tell water is flowing in....this flow will move the obstruction back so maybe the tank can fully drain.

I've seen this adapter on the shelf at Walmart so should be pretty easy to find one.