ATF: Bighorn - Dining Table

My dining table is fixed which does not allow much room for getting in and out. I would like to know how to make this table free standing so I can move as needed. I saw the plugs on the table legs, are the mounting bolts located under them? If not, how do I disconnect? We just purchased this coach 3 weeks ago and being a new coach I don't want to ruin anything.
Thanks for the help.

jimtoo

Hi Northwestchill,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

You can remove the wooden plugs in the table feed and remove the screws. This will allow you to move the table around as you want. We turned ours and reinstalled the same screws. So folks have left the screws out and say they have no problem with the table moving.

Enjoy the forum and your Bighorn.

Jim M

TedS

What Jim said.

I added a riser under ours so that the table is taller and we don't bash our legs on the corners under the table.

Speedy

We unscrewed and moved our table out a little farther from the wall because it was rubbing against the wall. I did reinstall the screws for fear that it move and rub against the island.

If you were to put some kind of material that would hinder the table from moving during travel I would think you could forgo strapping it down like the chairs. I have yet to investigate this option.

Let everyone know what works for you.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Northwestchill, as all have said, you can remove the plugs and screws. No real need to re-attach either. Ours has been "loose" for many miles and hasn't moved at all. We still strap the chairs just for grins.

Gizzy

We removed the screws and never put them back. Pulled the coach for over 8,000 miles last summer and never had a problem with the table. We never strapped the chairs either, only had a chair fall over one time, and reversing the chair (back of chair facing rear of coach) solved that problem.

Westwind

I removed the plugs and screws on the table in our 3070RL, it was centered on the window and was almost impossible to get into a chair on the slide wall side.
With it moveable we are able to give equal space on either side of the table, it's nice now. I still strap the chair's but we just crossed Florida with it loose and no problems so far. We still have to return to Rhode Island and that's a rough ride.

Last edited:

rick_debbie_gallant

Unscrewed the feet from the floor. Also did a 90 degree turn of the table to base coupling. This makes life eaiser when moving around and sitting as well as storing the chairs. Nothing has been refastened and nothing gets tied down either. No problemo's in three trips to texas and back.

caissiel

We did the same the first day. The table could not be set that it did not touch the wall or the island. So we turn it 90deg for travel and put towels on the chairs an also do not tie them for travel for the past 15k miles.

trekker

I know this is an old thread, but I am a new Bighorn owner and have the same question with a twist. I wanted to move the dining table and figured all I had to do was lift the little plugs on each leg and unscrew the screws. But when I lifted the plug, I could not see the screw. I found a subtance presumably covering the screw. So I called the dealer and asked if the table could be moved and they said it couldn't except maybe by coming at it from underneath the RV. I was very disappointed. And then I saw this thread. Did anyone else encounter something covering the screw? If so, how did you get down to the screw? I'm really hoping that I will be able to move the table eventually. Thanks for your help.

Judy
2012 Bighorn 3070RL

jimtoo

Hi trekker, Judy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I don't know what could be in the hole other than some sawdust. I removed mine without a problem and so have many others. You might use a small blade screwdriver and see if you can dig what ever it is out,,, or an air hose and blow in it to get the junk out. I think the screws are the square drive,, but not sure. When you get it loose, some folks reattach with same screws and some do not screw it back down. I have not heard of any problems, but you never know.

Enjoy the forum and let us know what you find.

Jim M

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We did the same the first day. The table could not be set that it did not touch the wall or the island. So we turn it 90deg for travel and put towels on the chairs an also do not tie them for travel for the past 15k miles.

After all these years I finally did this...can't understand what I was waiting for!! Really makes things much nicer and easier to get around, it also leaves more room to pull the chairs out to sit. Have traveled several times with it this way, and NO problem.

Westwind

Trekker - try taking all the plugs out, you might find screws in some of them, I doubt very very much that the table is screwed from under the floor, or it's counter sunk so deep you can't see the screw.
We took our screws out and traveled 1400+ mile with it loose and the chairs strapped and no problems.

trekker

Just an update and a question: I got back to my 5th wheel and checked out the substance in the table legs. It was some sort of rubbery glue. The first one I tried was hard to dig out. I tried a screw driver to no avail but tweezers got it out piece by piece and I was very pleased to see the screw underneath which was easy to remove. In the other legs, the glue was more like a plug and easier to remove. Anyway, I joined the list of those that have been able to free their tables and move them where they want. Thanks all for your help. Now I just wish I could get a leaf to make the table larger. It is obviously made to be extended but I don't have a leaf. Two extra folding chairs but no leaf. Did anyone else get one or figure out how to obtain one after the fact?

rick_debbie_gallant

Our table has a leaf that is built into the table. the slide mechanism is visable when you open up the top. But then you may not have a table like mine.

Birchwood

We removed the screws and turned the table 180 degrees and rescrewed it to the floor.Now we use only two chairs
(two folding chairs underneath) that allows access to the table and fridge with the slide retracted.If you like
a freestanding table just try straping it to the chair straps when traveling.

Westwind

Trekker -
Glad you were able to free up the table, I'd check with the dealer first and ask about the leaf, we put ours in the table when we set up because it just makes the table more useable and it's just the two of us. It sounds like it was just left behind at the factory.

SLO

Trekker

We have a 2012 bighorn 3070RL as well, with two extra chairs. The table leaf is inside the table when you separate it. Since out table only open one direction, I don't think you could use the leaf unless the table is screwed down.

SLO